New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Infinity

33 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  10:03:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as a team plays by the rules under the tournament rules regarding their roster, I have no problem in a team loading up for a tournament. It sounds like some may be upset that their team didn't win the tournament. I'm not directing this towards anyone however the objective of playing high caliber travel ball tournaments is to face tough teams where the "PLAYER" faces the ultimate competition to improve his or hers skills to become a better player and better prepare themselves for the next level. I think facing top teams no matter where the players are from will improve the skill set of the opposing players.

I guess the question here is would you rather win a tournament facing lackluster competition where your team isn't challenged or coming in 2nd, 3rd or 4th and having your team learn something to make them better players.
Go to Top of Page

kbuck

33 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  10:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. If the team is within the rules of the tournament then it is fine. I, for one, love that my son got to play the talent that was on the field this weekend. I have been wanting that for the past couple of years and finally he is on a team that can compete at this level. His team is made up of kids from 2 or 3 counties in the area and I felt very good about our performance this weekend. It does not bother me that we got put out by a team that has players brought in for just this event. We lost to them 4-3 in the first bracket game and the Chiefs went on to win the next two games 6-1. I know my son got a lot out of playing a team like that and I hope we see that kind of competition the rest of the year. It is all about developing your team and not all about winning every event.
Go to Top of Page

motown

25 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  10:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Infinity, how can a kid get better, when coaches bring in different kids to face that tuff compatition. How can u learn how to play when every weekend hes sittn the old for the new. How many kids is he going to help get scholorships? None cause hes not teaching, he BUYING
Go to Top of Page

straightalk

11 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  12:22:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told that the Florida Chiefs/Calhoun Fire was trying to get these kids ready for the next level with the coach they hired but it looks like you would need to travel to Florida to see how they turn out. There is something to be said about winning a tournament with local boys that you have coached and groomed yourself. It looks like they have abandoned that motto and gone with "win at all cost". It looks as if the coaching may be better in Fla. if they have to go there and get the kids to win. I tip my hat off to the Astros and Shamrock coaches that play the local boys that they have coached, they are the real deal here.
Go to Top of Page

Infinity

33 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  12:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motown

Infinity, how can a kid get better, when coaches bring in different kids to face that tuff compatition. How can u learn how to play when every weekend hes sittn the old for the new. How many kids is he going to help get scholorships? None cause hes not teaching, he BUYING

I think you misunderstood my response as I try and read your email...

It's the players that play against a team like the Chiefs that will benefit in the long run by facing a stacked team. I would rather my son play against the top teams every game and have a .500 record than play against teams they run rule every game. The only way to become a better player is to play against the best.

Sure, run ruling every team and hitting .650 makes everyone feel groovy however sooner or later players are going to have to learn how to play against top notch competition if they want to compete at the elite level in travel ball and hopefully in high school.

At this level going 1-4 against a top gun pitcher is more productive long term than going 4-4 against someone my daughter can get a hit off of. No offense to my daughter.......
Go to Top of Page

proball

36 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  12:41:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard all sides of this topic, but it's real simple it doesn't matter who comes to what tournament or brings additional players. As long as our kids competed; sometimes that means against stiff competition. I'm real proud of all our kids on playoff day because they all came game ready. The Chiefs and Meteror didn't blow any of our teams out of water, but the capitalized on mistakes. That means our kids can compete, learn from their mistakes(and coaches mistakes), change our approach and win. Most of our kids match up with all the players that came. Every team doesn't have to follow one rule as long as they didn't violate any of the tournament rules. Development of player is on the parent not the coach. That is why we have our kids in Travel baseabll; we take them to private lessons,classes and camps etc. Just remember one thing did all of our teams do everything right to win during the weeks prior to that tournament.
See you at the tournament, make the adjustments and it's hard to beat a team twice.
Go to Top of Page

ecbstix

115 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  15:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the better comp. will only make you better! That's why we play up when we can and actually look forward to playing the best teams around! Taking nothing from the Chiefs , they have always been a great team, and the kids they picked up were great! I just hate it for the kids that are temporarily replaced!
Go to Top of Page

bambino_dad

119 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  16:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some good points pro and con.

The con is being an in-state Chief ballplayer or parent committed to practicing and playing as a legit teammate and team player - but not being sure if the out-of-state players the coaches are flying in are "can't miss studs" who'll demand the lion's share of playing time during the tournament. That's gotta be bothersome on some level, not being sure where things stand.

The pro side is that at least the Ga. teams playing the Chiefs are getting a good look at how good they need to be to compete outside the state - especially in FLA - because essentially, beating the Chiefs is the equivalent of beating a multi-state All-Star team, right? And on the flip side it follows that losing to them ain't so bad.
Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  15:16:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The older the kids get, the more this happens. Platooning kids will happen more and more, especially from a pitching perspective. In the not too distant future for these 12u's, teams will carry players who only pitch. It will feel more and more like big league baseball and less and less like parks and rec ball where every kid who comes out gets a chance to play. That's why we play select travel ball vs parks n rec. The level of competition is usually higher as is the cost to play. With that cost comes expectations, promises, as well as competition from within teams as well as the teams you play ball against. That's the nature of the beast.

I think a lot of what I'm hearing are natural growing pains as our kids grow and develop to that next level. I think we all yearn, to some degree, where every kid played and we all cheered ( vs. the jeers I here so much of ! ) for every kid on every play to positively reinforce them. I really hope I can attend a select travel ball game where the parents and fans can recognize the efforts of all of the kids vs. making remarks which detratct from the magic these kids do on and off the field !
Go to Top of Page

The One

35 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  21:01:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great tournament this past weekend and congrats to the Chiefs baseball organization and the kids that represent them. Who cares where the kids are from,as long as they are 12 years old is all that matters. They played great fundamental ball all weekend and won a very tough tournament. I can't wait to see them take the field again, I love the way they play!

Edited by - The One on 04/09/2009 13:59:58
Go to Top of Page

bball fan

20 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  09:09:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The point gasbag makes is exactly why this topic is "over the top". "Not to distant future that kids will be brought into pitch only", but it is the FUTURE not at 12. Develop the talent and the hand you have availble to you and let the chips fall where they may. This has way to much to do with winning at all costs.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000