Page: of 2

Strike 2

61 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  15:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which ones are good? And, not so good?

beanball

222 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  17:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that Demarini has a -5 CF3 that would be my frist choice. I think there is also a -5 Voodoo. Check them out. I used tobe sold on Easton Stealth but last year experience with Demarini changes all that.
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  18:40:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exo Drop 5 is doing a great job for us.
Go to Top of Page

clemsonnun

52 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  12:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EXO drop 5 and drop 3 are both great bats
Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  14:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the Exo. I have found no negative with it. I have NEVER seen one dent and I see a lot of really hard balls hit off of them. For me, there is no better bat for the money, but I am a Louisville Slugger person.

I do like the Demarini Voodoo. The -3 actually swings (weight wise) like a -5. If I were a kid transitioning to a -3 and not that big, that would be the bat I would go looking for first.

Just my opinion. You know I very rarely give my opinion on bats.
Go to Top of Page

Strike 2

61 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  21:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks greg. I too love the Exo. In fact my 12 is still swinging the white Exo 30/22.5 for one more season. Wow. After we left the blue Dynasty at 10, I haven't had to buy another bat since. My son's buddy is 13 and looking for a -5 for the middle school team. Doing some early research for him, and trying to get a jump on next year for us. I have heard good comments about the black -5 Exo from last year. You can pick that one up for just under $200 on some sites. 30/25 mostly though. I'll have to check out the Voodoo. If it's -3 and swings like a -5, then that may be the route to go. Oh well, I have a year to think about it, and a year of growth in between. BTW, you are approaching the 1000 mark. You buying us pizza when you hit it?
Go to Top of Page

jscoda

123 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  09:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Omaha has a good drop 5 - blue/gray/white paint. Good bat.

And Greg might be passed by BMoser by spring. It will be a good race.
Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  10:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking Scott Pederson was going to pick up the pizza since he started the post about my number entries.
Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  10:25:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jscoda,
I am handing off the baton.
Go to Top of Page

Cregg

51 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  15:00:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our kids like the Plasma Gold and for the money its hard to beat Just purchased a 30-25 today.$179.00. Some of the longest shots have been with the plasma gold bats. I noticed that a lot of the East Cobb teams that were in the same tournaments with us were using them.

Cregg
Go to Top of Page

Strike 2

61 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  22:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am starting to see the Rawlings Plasma Gold more often than not. I wonder how the Rawlings Rush Composite Lite Sr League Bat -5 is. The difference in the Plasma Gold and the Rush Lite is: Plasma Gold -5 has 2 3/4 in barrel which cannot be used in our district. We have to use 2 5/8 in barrel -5 which the Rush Lite fits into.
Go to Top of Page

Strike 2

61 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  22:36:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cregg,

Let me clarify...I am talking about middle school ball instead of tournament ball. Thanks for the info.
Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  23:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Word is Rawlings may be discontinuing the Plasma and replacing it with their new model. I know we are having a hard time getting the -5's.
Go to Top of Page

Cregg

51 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  15:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strike 2, what district are you in ?

Our middle school League is in Rome Ga.

Not sure on the 2 3/4 bat here
Go to Top of Page

Strike 2

61 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  20:54:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in NC. We have to play 60/90 and use -5 2 5/8 in 7th and 8th grade in our county. Rules vary by county though. A neighboring county plays 56/80 (they just moved the mound back 2 ft this year), and are required to use -5 2 5/8.

Edited by - Strike 2 on 02/20/2009 21:13:42
Go to Top of Page

CATCHITUP

3 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  16:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone heard of the albin bats? They are supposed to have just as much pop as the exo but no ringing of the hands. There is a device on the knob of the bat to take away the sting. Fairly new bat company, just wondering if anyone has tried it yet? Comes in all sizes,senior and adult. Ithink their web site is albinathletics.
Go to Top of Page

bigcatsdad

22 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  07:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last year my son loved the stealth comp -5. At 12,13 he used the orange plasma. right now he's using the -3 red exo for high school. He wants a new bat every other week so I really think it's whatever they feel confident with. I will say that the comp and plasma crack quite often, and the voodoo and exo are more durable.
Go to Top of Page

toprank

138 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  12:24:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought my son an Albin (-5) bat and I may have gotten a bad one in the bunch, but it's probably the worst bat I have ever seen. We have used it about 4 times in the cage and once on the field and the clear coat finish is already peeling off. Has a cheap looking end cap and doesn't really have alot of pop or any more than a typical TPX Omaha. The hitting sweet spot is tiny compared to most bats too. Best thing I can say about the bat is the weight feels light for a -5 so it is distributed well through out the bat, but I think the EXO is alot better bat.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  16:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
toprank,
Yea, it sounds like you got a lemon on that Albin. Did you buy it on-line or locally?
Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  17:11:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cregg

Our kids like the Plasma Gold and for the money its hard to beat Just purchased a 30-25 today.$179.00. Some of the longest shots have been with the plasma gold bats. I noticed that a lot of the East Cobb teams that were in the same tournaments with us were using them.

Cregg

I love the way the ball dances off the Plasma Gold but what I don't like is buying new bats every three weeks ! I've never seen bats deteriorate so quickly. We protect them with sleeves, warm them up so we're not hitting cold and NOTHING protects these rascals and they will only replace them once ! I'm currently looking for something with same pop but lasts longer....any ideas anybody on drop 5's that will last ?
Go to Top of Page

fourseam

162 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  10:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know anything about the -5 Combat B1?
Go to Top of Page

amoore4

9 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  10:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't count out the Anderson bats. Very good bats with a lot of pop. Used heavily on the west coast
Go to Top of Page

toprank

138 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  14:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the problem with warming the bats is the cold balls are what damages the bats. They get harder from the cold weather. If you could warm the balls you probably wouldn't see as much damage to the bats, but I hear they dent even in hot weather.
Go to Top of Page

Whitlow

211 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  21:36:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gasbag

quote:
Originally posted by Cregg

Cregg

I love the way the ball dances off the Plasma Gold but what I don't like is buying new bats every three weeks ! I've never seen bats deteriorate so quickly. We protect them with sleeves, warm them up so we're not hitting cold and NOTHING protects these rascals and they will only replace them once ! I'm currently looking for something with same pop but lasts longer....any ideas anybody on drop 5's that will last ?

I think your best bet to last is not to get a composite, but buy a half and half like the Demarini Voodoo or an Aluminum bat like the Exo. I know a lot of Aluminum bats are said to dent, but my experience at the -10 composites don't last long at all. they should be much better at -5 though due to the increased thickness. In any case I would carry ab aluminum or half and half for use when it is cold. It is tough to give up the pop of all composite like the CF3 . Combat, etc. though.
Go to Top of Page

Whitlow

211 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  23:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At what age should they go to -5, -8, etc??? I still have my son using -10 at 11U, but he also has a -8.
Go to Top of Page

highcheese

71 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  16:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys, is there anything close to the old blue dynasty out there? I bought a new end cap and a new grip for our 29/20 and the thing keeps crushing the ball. the white EXo is still going strong too. just curious.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000