New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

patent pending

66 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2015 :  17:59:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow ! All this over $5 ! You guys who are upset need to leave this travel ball alone. And don't say it's the principle of the whole thing. Cause I can tell you guys are really at a loss over this 5 bucks. Its actually Priceless to see your kids play at such a place. Enjoy and pay up it will be over before you know it !
Go to Top of Page

jahannah

11 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2015 :  18:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgiaBoy

This lil $5 fee got has really turned the Travel Ball world on it's axis... LOL

Yep, it is $5 to park per day. That is nothing, right? We have played 11 games there with 5-6 more to play. So that is $80 just for parking, plus an average of $8-10 admission fee per game (combination of tourney and one-day passes) times 2 parents. That is an additional $288. Throw in a Powerade at $3.25 (no outside drinks allowed) and we are paying over $400 to the Lakepoint/Perfect Game combo just for this year and just one family. Not to mention the fact that they tend to schedule one game per day, maximizing their revenue and my driving time.

They have definitely developed methods to separate you from your money. But, then, it is just $5, right?
Go to Top of Page

nwgadad

137 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2015 :  23:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ask any mlb player their thoughts on more than 1 game in a day. All against it.

quote:
Originally posted by jahannah

quote:

Yep, it is $5 to park per day. That is nothing, right? We have played 11 games there with 5-6 more to play. So that is $80 just for parking, plus an average of $8-10 admission fee per game (combination of tourney and one-day passes) times 2 parents. That is an additional $288. Throw in a Powerade at $3.25 (no outside drinks allowed) and we are paying over $400 to the Lakepoint/Perfect Game combo just for this year and just one family. Not to mention the fact that they tend to schedule one game per day, maximizing their revenue and my driving time.

They have definitely developed methods to separate you from your money. But, then, it is just $5, right?

Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  06:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was coaching once rec ball ended we had TONS of field access. I used to try to get teams to come over and play double headers, round robins, etc. We could have gotten 5 games in on a Fri-Sat-Sun, could have played double headers on Wednesdays, etc. etc. I once told my assistant that I wished we could have played 70% non-tournament games and 30% tournament games. The only cost to the teams would have been sharing the umpires. In three years I was able to do it maybe 3-4 times. Everybody (parents that is) always wanted to be playing for that week's world championship. Unfortunate.

Go to Top of Page

jacjacatk

154 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  11:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by patent pending

Wow ! All this over $5 ! You guys who are upset need to leave this travel ball alone. And don't say it's the principle of the whole thing. Cause I can tell you guys are really at a loss over this 5 bucks. Its actually Priceless to see your kids play at such a place. Enjoy and pay up it will be over before you know it !

Next time you go, give them $20 for parking. it's priceless, and, really, what's the difference between $5 and $20.
Go to Top of Page

patent pending

66 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  15:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jacjacatk... Exactly !! That's how its done. Make it RAIN ! That'll cool um off.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  17:12:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by patent pending

jacjacatk... Exactly !! That's how its done. Make it RAIN ! That'll cool um off.

The comment about the $20 was stupid. Makes no sense whatsoever. And if you want to make it rain, be happy you are playing at Lake Point. Because they have the nice turf fields, they will get games in as opposed to being cancelled because of poor field conditions. Would you rather pay the $5 and watch your son play, or have the game rained out? I'm sure everyone will be complaining (just like the times before LP) about PG taking your money and then cancelling games because of the weather. Man... Just can win.
Go to Top of Page

nastycurve

244 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  20:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just fallen out of my chair, blown away by the missed "make it rain" reference.

Edited by - nastycurve on 06/18/2015 23:05:07
Go to Top of Page

jacjacatk

154 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  21:25:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bballman

The comment about the $20 was stupid. Makes no sense whatsoever.

It's called hyperbole, to make the point that everyone has a price tag at which they will feel like they are being gouged/nickel-and-dimed, and just because it's $5 parking for me and it isn't for someone else doesn't make me wrong.

And, seriously, listen to the people in the park. Lots of people are upset with the parking situation/concession prices and the impression that it's nickel-and-diming. Not, generally, upset enough to look for an alternative, but it wouldn't surprise me if LP is losing more in concession sales than they're adding in parking (though, again, I'm sure there's an MBA somewhere that thinks this is more profitable).
Go to Top of Page

patent pending

66 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2015 :  11:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I was sayin is Travel Ball for me was 5$ here, 5$ there, 5$ everywhere ! Don't let this spoil your day. Enjoy some ball. It may be free to park at the High schools you play at but for me I think the atmosphere at LP is second to none.
Go to Top of Page

tuffmavrick

47 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2015 :  13:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We should be happy to pay $5 to watch our kids play and have fun at a beautiful park. My father-in-law is in Piedmont Hospital, my wife paid $7 AND I $5 to go see him. we complain about paying for joy in our life. You have family fighting for their life and you have to pay to see them. That put things in a different live. Get over the parking fee and enjoy life it's to short.
Go to Top of Page

LittleDawg

91 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2015 :  08:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tuffmavrick

We should be happy to pay $5 to watch our kids play and have fun at a beautiful park. My father-in-law is in Piedmont Hospital, my wife paid $7 AND I $5 to go see him. we complain about paying for joy in our life. You have family fighting for their life and you have to pay to see them. That put things in a different live. Get over the parking fee and enjoy life it's to short.

Thank you for this message and keep things in perspective
Go to Top of Page

jahannah

11 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2015 :  18:28:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nwgadad

Ask any mlb player their thoughts on more than 1 game in a day. All against it.

quote:
Originally posted by jahannah

quote:

My son has to ride with me to the game, not travel on chartered planes and buses. Ask any parent about traveling 45 miles one way 5 days in a row.
Go to Top of Page

RACGOFAR

208 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  17:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, they are about to raise the rate to $10 per day to park. And you're now going to have to buy your team's hydration. You can park at the airport for less than $10 per day!
Go to Top of Page

RACGOFAR

208 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  17:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know if they are charging the scouts and college coaches to park when they come?
Go to Top of Page

BaseballMom6

233 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  18:50:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hydration AKA Water should be provided in every dugout! The cost is next to nothing and it is a safety issue if the players are dehydrated. Now that is something I would be willing to speak up and make a stink about. Perfect Game should require all fields that they use, including Lake Point to provide water in the dugouts. For what they charge for a tournament it should be a given.
Go to Top of Page

dawg

1 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  21:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a thought, Is there an avenue to file a formal complaint to the owners/investors/decision makers of Lakepoint to address the parking fees? I feel that the entrance fee and tournaments fees should be enough for families of the baseball community to absorb. The facility is great and personally would prefer to play there. I do feel the patrons of this sport would be willing to support the concessions and additional vendors if they felt they were not being priced gauged by the parking.
Go to Top of Page

OPHornets

135 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  08:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We just got back from the Ripken Experience in Myrtle Beach and, while I understand the costs aren't completely comparable, I would say that the "other stuff" isn't either. No parking fees, no gate fees, bring your own food/drink, water coolers in every dugout AND set up around the facility, player and coach gifts, player trophies, all while providing turf fields, official scorers, announcers, shuttles, a concierge, etc. at a beach location (not saying that Emerson isn't my #1 place to go to have a good time but...)

I'm not saying I want to pay $8000/tournament to play but I think there's a happy medium between what you get for the price of a premium tournament like Ripken and what's currently being provided week in and week out.

Go to Top of Page

agent21

97 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  11:26:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
agree parking fee is outrageous on top of team tournament entry fee, daily/weekly pass. also agree that just on principle, patrons are not spending as freely on concessions and vendors but i don't think lake point cares because these are all separate business entities (lake point, perfect game, concessions, vendors) and do not share profits. the lack of water in the dugouts is absolutely unacceptable. the cost of water is negligible as is paying minimum wage to a teenager whose job is to keep water coolers in the dugouts filled. if lake point is too cheap to provide water for whatever reason, perfect game should insist on this as part of their contract with lake point -- basic math shows that PG is collecting almost $250,000 per age group per tournament on TEAM ENTRY FEE alone (some tournaments have over 100 teams for one week of baseball)..
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  13:09:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RACGOFAR

Does anybody know if they are charging the scouts and college coaches to park when they come?

Yes, pro and college scouts pay entry and parking. I was speaking with an RC recruiting my son about this as he was heading into town. Of course, they expense it back to their school/team. There was a blurb on the PG site prior to the 17u WWBA that scouts could pre-purchase entry and parking. The blurb below is a direct copy/paste from PG site for the 16u WWBA that kicks off on 7/10.

Attention
All college coaches and scouts;
Scout packets, programs, and wristbands will be available for purchase from 6PM-8PM at the LakePoint ticket booth on Thursday, July 9th
*You will also be able to purchase a parking pass from LakePoint at that time

Edited by - in_the_know on 07/08/2015 13:35:54
Go to Top of Page

Renegade44

211 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  13:41:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The price gouging is going to continue at all ends, LP, PG, Concessions, Water, until it reaches a breaking point. There is a point where the teams say enough, and apparently that point is not right here as costs and nonsense costs keep going up.

When the cost maximization model does implode it is not going to be pretty. Bridges will have been burned with local teams, out of state teams will find other locations, and the tournaments will suck for quality of teams and quantity of teams attending.

Where that point is? Who knows? Keep paying up the ridiculous invented extra fees and water fees. Eventually you will reach the point of no return.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  14:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renegade44

When the cost maximization model does implode it is not going to be pretty. Bridges will have been burned with local teams, out of state teams will find other locations, and the tournaments will suck for quality of teams and quantity of teams attending.

Everyone sounds so outrageous on here...by the way, the world is not flat, the horseless carriage was not a fad, and fast food through drive through actually did catch on! You have to pay to park at a high class venue....AND? Name another organization that allows your child to have a profile on their website, complete with their age, school, summer team name, graduating class, how fast their fastball was at the last 15 tournaments they attended....oh and do it all without further cost to you?

The people who are coming in from out of state are in awe of Lake Point, and want their kids to play in PG tourneys. Parking fees are a fact of life, get OVER this people!

Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  16:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaCO3Girl

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade44

Everyone sounds so outrageous on here...by the way, the world is not flat, the horseless carriage was not a fad, and fast food through drive through actually did catch on! You have to pay to park at a high class venue....AND? Name another organization that allows your child to have a profile on their website, complete with their age, school, summer team name, graduating class, how fast their fastball was at the last 15 tournaments they attended....oh and do it all without further cost to you?

The people who are coming in from out of state are in awe of Lake Point, and want their kids to play in PG tourneys. Parking fees are a fact of life, get OVER this people!

They just stole a page out of the airline's books and the breaking point hasn't been found there yet either. All the headlines read that bag fees would kill the airlines and customer simply wouldn't stand for it. How many of these teams flew here this week . . .
Go to Top of Page

baseballcrazymom

58 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  16:12:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sigh. Everything is sunshine and rainbows to some of y'all. Bless your little 'ole hearts...

Because you (some of you) really haven't BEEN there yet, I'll break down the madness for you. Some facts from this weeks 17u WWBA:

330+ teams all paid $2500 for a 7 game guarantee. Do the math. And yes... that is 330+ teams in a ONE week tournament.

It rained. MANY of the fields (I'd say 30 of 45) they use in a tournament of this size don't hold a sprinkle very well, not to mention a downpour. Ever seen it rain at your local HS? Ummm, yeah. So what happened? A bunch of teams were told that their makeup game was at MIDNIGHT. That's a start time. Not a finish time.

Okay, let's pretend for one minute that some of y'all are sitting there saying well they are 17, they can drive themselves and players don't pay to park. Correct. However, if I am in the car, we pay.

Well then take separate cars. Wrong again. It's a good 120+ miles round trip from where we live to the general area where most of these fields are. Add up that gas expense and then the gate fees and THEN the parking each time.

And they schedule one game a day...or 7 games in a 6 day period. So that's 6 days of gas, 6 days of gate fees, 2-4 days of parking ON TOP OF A $2500 team entry fee AND NO FREAKING WATER IN THE DAGGUM DUGOUTS!!!

As to the "free" recruiting website? Nope. You pay about $1000 to attend a PG showcase and get those skills show things and profiles and junk and if you SCREW UP, it hurts you. You are better off saving your parking, and concessions and gate fee to these ripoff events and doing your own video, upload it to YouTube or whatever and when you fill out all the online recruiting questionnaires to the schools you are interested in, include the link as well as your own recruiting website. They are pretty easy to make.

Okay, so let's say the kid is 14 or 15u. Mom and Dad: guess who has to drive him to all those games? YOU! And guess what that means? You get to take off a whole week from work! Can you afford to do that? Maybe. Some folks are self employed and don't make money unless they work. So, there is a bunch more expense AGAIN. The games are 8am to 3am (see above) 7 days a week - not just weekends and evenings. So go ahead and factor that in.

Now lets talk about scouts/coaches. Yes they are at Lake Point depending on the day and the time. But remember that there are 45 different facilities being used THIS WEEK ALONE. If your team is lucky, they may play at Lake Point on 2 different days. Can they watch 330+ teams play 7 games in 45 different places across Atlanta? NOPE. But y'all keep on believing that lil man will be discovered just because he is in a PG event. He might get discovered, and if he's reall REALLY good, they will talk about him on the website. Butlet's face it. If you are that good, folks already know about you and you are probably already committed to a school somewhere. When 5000+ kids a week flock through Lake Point, it's a long shot.

Oh and I hate to break it to you, but the USA is very big and there are a GABILLION tournaments all over attracting scouts every week. They can't ALL be at Lake Point...

It's a racket.

Oh wait...pool play ended up being only 6 games bc of the rain earlier this week and poor planing by PG. On 6 different days of course. And the treat for doing well in your pool is that youg et to drive back out there again tomorrow, pay to park, pay to get in etc. etc. etc. in order to see the kid you raised for the past 18 years play or not play depending on certain factors. But no. WE should just get the heck over ourselves.

Edited by - baseballcrazymom on 07/08/2015 16:21:01
Go to Top of Page

zwndad

170 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  16:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When it comes down to it, the only PG events that you have to participate in are the high school age WWBAs. They're too important to college recruiting for those events to do anything but grow.

However, there are enough alternatives every other week of the year that teams can vote with their money. Yes, LP is amazing, but teams are going to get fed up with the money grab going on there. And while ECB and high school fields are far lesser quality, Triple Crown still runs great events and you can vote with your team and your money.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000