General Discussion
 Daddy Buddy Ball
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cowboy21

2 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2014 :  15:56:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At what age do daddy buddy ball stop? My son was on a team this spring and it was real bad that turned me off from travel ball.

loveforthegame25

448 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2014 :  17:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have a kid at college, IT NEVER STOPS
Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2014 :  17:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pull them up Luccheses up and get ready....mostly prevalent in the younger ages 8-13. 14 and up usually gets you clear if you are with an academy team. These Dad/Coaches do it for the right reasons and most other parents who complain (and i did) don't/didn't volunteer to do it so do your best bet is to find the best team/fit for your son and "hold on to the rope" so the bull doesn't kick you off.
Go to Top of Page

bballguy

224 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2014 :  08:19:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loveforthegame25 is absolutely right. It's real life...It never ever stops....even at the office!!!!!

There are victims and then there are those that create their own opportunities!!! You have to choose which lens to look out of.

I've found that most parents that complain over daddy ball are parents of kids who aren't as talented as they think.
Go to Top of Page

CaCO3Girl

1989 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2014 :  08:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In our experience the key is to get on a team that has a paid coach...i.e. he doesn't have a kid on the team. These teams are more expensive to be on but you get a lot more knowledge, and you don't have to deal with the head coach who wants their boy to play a particular position.
Go to Top of Page

agent21

97 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2014 :  12:45:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wait for it CaCO3Girl. You'll see that even paid coaches have their "favorites."
Go to Top of Page

Footballforsanity

14 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  09:44:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daddy ball is what it is. It will always be part of baseball because of the nature of the sport. "America's game", for everyone and easily tolerated in a country club environment. If you want highly reduced levels of daddy ball find a really talented football or basketball team for your kid. The physical and athletic realm of those sports causes pain, misery, and embarrassment for those dads that try it. Especially at the top levels of competition.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  10:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Footballforsanity

Daddy ball is what it is. It will always be part of baseball because of the nature of the sport. "America's game", for everyone and easily tolerated in a country club environment. If you want highly reduced levels of daddy ball find a really talented football or basketball team for your kid. The physical and athletic realm of those sports causes pain, misery, and embarrassment for those dads that try it. Especially at the top levels of competition.

I wish I had counted the number of head coaches who had the same last name as their Quarterback when my sons played. Ditto point guards.

And if you wonder about interfering, complaining parents and when that ends?

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2011-07-28/colby-rasmus-father-rips-tony-la-russa-after-trade
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  10:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by agent21

Just wait for it CaCO3Girl. You'll see that even paid coaches have their "favorites."

A coach having "favorites" isn't exactly daddy ball. There could be many reasons for a player being a "favorite". Maybe the player is actually a better player than the alternatives. Maybe the player has more baseball instinct. Maybe one player is a better fielder, but the other hits better. Maybe one is more of a team player than the other. Maybe one is just more likable and equal in other areas to the "non-favorite".

That doesn't make it daddy ball. It makes it real world. I see daddy ball being where a coaches son is CLEARLY not as good as the alternative, but he still plays because he is the coach's son. To stretch "daddy ball" beyond that is really just making excuses for why your son isn't playing. If we all took some responsibility and told our sons that if they want to play, they need to get better, we would not have to worry about all this "daddy ball" and "favorites" talk.

Edited by - bballman on 10/09/2014 11:08:20
Go to Top of Page

Redsox1

12 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  12:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Coach Little League Baseball for years, I don't have a Son on my current team But I have had my Son play on my previous team, He never played Short Stop or never pitched a game (Unless it was Rec, And He did very well) He never even started a game in a tournament. There are good Coach's out there who devote there time when the complaining parents are standing on the sideline talking about The Coach playing his Son because He is his Father, I say to all parents who complain about daddy ball, Get off your butt and Coach a team! The Coach has an opportunity to work with his Son more than others on the team, that maybe the reason He is the QB or the Catcher or pitcher or whatever position the complaining parent feel there Son should be playing. All Coach's have there favorites and that's a fact, it maybe a kid who just work hard and don't have the talent but gives everything he has when he is on the field. As a Coach all parents no more than He do, After the game, they know who should start and who should sit, I personally feel sorry for the Coach's Son, No matter what He do, His Daddy did it for Him!
Go to Top of Page

mar1dxt

30 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  16:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daddy ball is alive and well in travel. We attended one tryout where the team had four coaches and a team manager all with kids on the team. Two of the kids were good, the other three not so good. The team manager told me they had started this team so there son's would never have to play outfield again!
Go to Top of Page

Footballforsanity

14 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  17:41:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AllStar

quote:

I wish I had counted the number of head coaches who had the same last name as their Quarterback when my sons played. Ditto point guards.

And if you wonder about interfering, complaining parents and when that ends?

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2011-07-28/colby-rasmus-father-rips-tony-la-russa-after-trade

As stated, "highly reduced levels". They may be at QB, but at their own risk when facing top level competition. In other words, get the bambalance ready. Same with round ball. Nothing more comedic than daddy ball down 40 in the 3rd and the opposing PG with 40 already. Baseball is easier to hide kids, no where near as much 1 on 1 action. As far as complaining parents, stay on top level talented teams. Much less drama when everybody is very talented, and knows it...
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  06:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mar1dxt

Daddy ball is alive and well in travel. We attended one tryout where the team had four coaches and a team manager all with kids on the team. Two of the kids were good, the other three not so good. The team manager told me they had started this team so there son's would never have to play outfield again!

Funny, I never understood that. Our last year in rec ball/all stars was 10. I figured out that, unless you had a walkathon, 90% of the games were won by whoever made the most plays in the outfield. My best shortstop was also my best CF. Dad wanted him at SS, so I heard it a lot. Moved him back and forth kind of depending on the situation. We did have other options at both positions. Guess where he ended up in HS-Left Field. Better for him, better for the team.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  11:44:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Much less drama when everybody is very talented, and knows it...

Of course there is. Just ask Georgia Bulldog football fans.
Or Walton football fans.

Edited by - AllStar on 10/10/2014 12:16:23
Go to Top of Page

Footballforsanity

14 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  16:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AllStar

quote:

Much less drama when everybody is very talented, and knows it...

Of course there is. Just ask Georgia Bulldog football fans.
Or Walton football fans.

Exactly...
Go to Top of Page

hangwiffem

69 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  08:32:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The team manager told me they had started this team so there son's would never have to play outfield again!

Really intellegent logic. From what I have seen, it also appears that second base is the daddy ball position of choice....Outfield becomes just as important as infield in a hurry!
Go to Top of Page

tuffmavrick

47 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  13:32:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daddy ball is and always will be alive, it happens at all level even if the dad is not the coach. Some parents will kiss the coach's a-- to get playing time for their kids or who puts out the extra money.

When I coached my son in little league before he started travel ball was the hardest pushed and the quickest to have to do extra reps or running. I also had the shortest fuse for any mistake or slack play. Unfortunately that is not the case in all daddy ball.

The worst thing I hate about daddy ball is not always the game play time but the way daddy kids usually slack at practices and are usually the mouthiest kids. This takes away from practices.

Go to Top of Page

ABC_Baseball

90 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  17:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad that we have not had to deal with this at 9u and shouldn't have to at 10u this year. I've heard and seen it from other teams where we know kids/families and experienced it at the rec ball level.

This "Daddy Ball" attitude isn't just limited to baseball. It permeates other areas of life as well. Mom and dad think they are helping, but really they are creating spoiled kids that can't do for themselves. Then they wonder why junior is still living at home at 25, still asking for money, didn't finish school or why they just can't seem to be an independent well adjusted adult.

If you want your kid to be a star. First, find something they are naturally good at. Two, if they show some talent, get them some LESSONS. Yeah they cost money, but you pay someone to work with them to get better, not take others money only so you can have a team to try and make your kid "the man."

I remember watching SEC storied on Lo-Lo Jones. Now while some may consider her a big disappointment. You don't get to be one of the best in the U.S. and top 4 or 5 in the world by having mom and dad set up everything to work in your favor. Here story tells about how as a kid, they didn't have much and at times their car would break down and how as a young kid (not even a teen) she had to run miles to get home. The "A Football Life" on Sean Taylor was excellent. His buddies from his neighborhood tell the story about how his dad had him running on the highway in the mornings before school and after school. Those habits of running the streets followed him to the NFL where even his peers felt from an ability standpoint he was from another planet. You don't get world class by being pampered or taking shortcuts. You have to do the work.
Go to Top of Page

Peanutsr

171 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  20:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taken from an oldy but goody:

dad-dy ball
-noun, verb, adjective (-er)

1. (Slang) parent coach philosphy
2. parent coach

-verb

1. anytime a coach's son plays baseball

-adjective

1. colloquial adjective coined in the United States to describe any coach with a son on the team
2. (Chiefly Apalachian hr) an under-handed reference to a player's skills

Origins: pre-1700 (wikipedia) Seen in print as early as 1685 in the Welsh Calvinist Jebediah Aloysius Batholder-Crane's 'Bad Begetters' speech. This famous speech decrying the parenting habits of Mayflower parents is commonly cited as being the impetus for Thomas Wilson's public rant in the late 1690's regarding "cudgel-playing, baseball and cricket" occurring on Sundays because of his profound displeaure with parishioners following events. Pastor Thomas was quoted as saying..."..a farthing to his holiness's coffers for every 'Fathering ball' remarking on poor Belden's cudgeling..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - jay on 12/04/2008 19:43:19
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  21:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, it's been around for 330 years. At least that's been documented. Probably been around since the beginning of time!! It's not going away. I think God even played some daddy-ball with the Isrealites in the Old Testament days. :)

Find the right situation for your son. Do your research to try and avoid it. And make sure your son is good enough to not have to worry about it.
Go to Top of Page

SOGAS

143 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2014 :  08:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I'm about to say may not be popular with many here. "Daddy ball" vs "Money Ball". That's right, in most cases you have your choice. Not all Daddy's play the daddy ball game and not all paid coaches or organizations are all about the money but for the most part it's either daddy ball or money ball.
A lot of Dads want to play their sons in the middle, bat him in the 1-4 slot, pitch him 6 or 7 innings every week no matter the production results. That's daddy ball! Some organizations sell you on how they produce these all these players that go to the next level and back it up with pictures of signing and all that. They sell you on why you should be in their organization and the hammer you with the cost. If your kid is good enough and you put him on the radar then he will get seen. Paid professional coaches that have professional experience have a great knowledge of the game and that's all good but how they translate, what maturity level are they providing, are they in it because they really want to share their knowledge or are they in it because they couldn't make it in the bigs and they want to continue making money off baseball.

In money ball It all boils down to is it the kids dream to play at the next level or is it the parents dream. Is the value of what i'm getting worth the cost of what i'm paying.
In Daddy ball it boils down to am I happy with my sons roll. Is it really daddy ball or just an excuse because my son may not be as good as I thought. If I were coach would I do different from the current coach. Am I will to play and pay for a paid coach and am I willing to start taking lessons from that paid coach so that may son can be one of his favorites.

At the end of the day TRAVEL BALL IS ABOUT BIG MONEY and don't let anyone fool you!!
Go to Top of Page

KeithB

282 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2014 :  12:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bballman

So, it's been around for 330 years. At least that's been documented. Probably been around since the beginning of time!! It's not going away. I think God even played some daddy-ball with the Isrealites in the Old Testament days. :)

Find the right situation for your son. Do your research to try and avoid it. And make sure your son is good enough to not have to worry about it.

We found a good fit with coaches that don't have kids on the team. My son earns his spot based on his performance and nothing else. He plays middle infield and bats 6th (hitting is an adjustment @ 9U).
Go to Top of Page

hshuler

1074 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2014 :  08:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I coach and my son batted 9th most of the year and played corner outfield and first base...and only pitches when we really need him to. I don't coach to create an advantage for him. I coach to help all the kids. Honestly, I could probably help my son more if I didn't coach because I would have more time to work with him.

It's pretty easy to tell if a coach is playing daddy ball by seeing if he's putting his kid in a position to fail more often than not.

Go to Top of Page

KeithB

282 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2015 :  22:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son ended up batting 1 or 2 all Spring. The hitting came around. He ended the season as the team's catcher, but played all but 1st and OF. Looking forward the this Fall.
Go to Top of Page

whits23

596 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  12:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2 best coaches my son ever had was a 12u dad who went on to merge with evocanes the other a top ECB team he played one fall with that had no dad coaches

Coaches sometimes do have favorites and they generally are the best kids on the team who make life easy or by doing their job and not complaining. As much as guys won't admit it sometimes dad's kids are the best on the team. I cut one of my own son's from a 10u team and he went on to be a good soccer player. Was no use me making him play cause i liked baseball and his brother played. Wife not so happy though :} I kept the team for another 2 years.

Having said that i do not like the scene of 4 dad coaches all in uniform hovering around the dugout BUT at a younger age it does keep cost down and sometimes they are the ones willing to do it.

Paid coaches at a younger age are not always there to teach as kids can learn basics anywhere at age 8-10 but as a buffer between kids and parents and to keep it fair. Not to down play coaching skills at age 8.

I also hear dad's say "i am harder on my own kid than other kids to prove i am not a daddy ball coach" being harder on your kid is not fair to your kid either is it? He is still being treated different.

One more thing..we have all read the Mike Matheny letter and i agree 100 % and here is another one that is great on parent below.

While you can be a fair and impartial parent coach there is reasons it is not good for the growth of your own child. I would not tell austin rivers playing for Doc was a bad move though.

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/2015/05/texas-rangers-manager-jeff-banister-to-sports-parents-its-about-your-child-not-you.html/

Edited by - whits23 on 07/08/2015 13:34:59
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000