Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NWBA Forums
 General Discussion
 Which teams will USSSA move up to 13u maj in 2009?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigdog

231 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  12:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the 2008 12u AAA teams in Georgia?

Outlaws Baseball-USSSA record 51-14 finished 3rd in 12u W/S in Louisiana
Tyrone Astros?
5-Tool Nationals?
Newton Co. Tigers?
South Gwinnett Commets?
Sandy Plains Wildcats-winners of GA USSSA 12AAA State

Just my opinion-all should be...just like what happened to The Dugout Club Tigers, Roswell Hornets and Collins Hill Eagles for the 2008 season.

Opinions?

Dr. Old School

314 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  13:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. Particularly the Outlaws, SP Wildcasts and the 5-Tool Nationals. The Wildcats will be an automatic with a State Championship.

There needs to be some assessment to move teams down from Major to AAA. If you have a below .500 USSSA record against Major teams you should be sent down. That would keep the AAA division strong as well. Too many AAA teams marked as Major. Now you have upper and lower Major going on. I guess the Upper Major actually work out to be the Elite teams, which I guess is why USSSA put that in. Too top loaded.
Go to Top of Page

12uCoach

357 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  13:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would anyone care if a team plays up? If you are going to do that then stop 11U teams from playing in 12U tournaments, or AAA teams from playing Super NIT. Focing a team up so that they can not play in AAA only tournaments seems fair to the other AAA's, but why force someone down based ON LAST YEAR'S abilities. What if the team was made up of all April Birthday's? Or a team that was physically young? Puberety can be a good thing...
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Old School

314 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  13:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If USSSA forces AAA teams to Major based on accomplishments, shouldn't teams like SF War Eagles (not picking on them, just using them as an example) be allowed to move back down to AAA after a 6-15 record against Majors in 2008?

If I were a team that struggled winning half of my games against Major teams I would like the opportunity to move back down to play against AAA competition and be allowed to play Major some as well. I just think USSSA top loads everything and does nothing to balance the competition level.

Edited by - Dr. Old School on 08/12/2008 14:18:42
Go to Top of Page

wildcats9596

110 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  13:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Old School

I agree. Particularly the Outlaws, SP Wildcasts and the 5-Tool Nationals. The Wildcats will be an automatic with a State Championship.

There needs to be some assessment to move teams down from Major to AAA. If you have a below .500 USSSA record against Major teams you should be sent down. That would keep the AAA division strong as well. Too many AAA teams marked as Major. Now you have upper and lower Major going on. I guess the Upper Major actually work out to be the Elite teams, which I guess is why USSSA put that in. Too top loaded.

Here is what happened last year. The reclassed (12U AAA --> 13U Major) teams all had better in-class records than our 7-6.

http://www.gausssabaseball.com/images/uploads/pdffiles/2008_Team_Reclass.pdf

This is from the State Web Site: "If your team finished among the top ten in the state in Power Ratings last season, STEP UP from the out set of the season and test the stronger competition."

The other conditions say "REQUIRED", so this sounds like a strong suggestion, not a requirement.

Nothing about Sub-state or State performances.

FWIW-You left out the WP Panthers. They were very strong last year.
Go to Top of Page

mamabee

10 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  18:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigdog

Tyrone Astros?
5-Tool Nationals?
Newton Co. Tigers?
South Gwinnett Commets?

Just my opinion-all should be...just like what happened to The Dugout Club Tigers, Roswell Hornets and Collins Hill Eagles for the 2008 season.

Opinions?

and our Powder Springs boys played in that State AAA tournament with Wildcats but it was a disspointment to all of us with only 5 teams total playing that week end.
Go to Top of Page

alphadawg12

38 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  20:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Add the following teams that will be moved up:

Wills Park Panthers
Hobgood Storm
Forsyth Outlaws
Team Combat (New East Cobb Combat)
Go to Top of Page

coachdan06

433 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  23:25:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mamabee

quote:

Tyrone Astros?
5-Tool Nationals?
Newton Co. Tigers?
South Gwinnett Commets?

Opinions?

and our Powder Springs boys played in that State AAA tournament with Wildcats but it was a disspointment to all of us with only 5 teams total playing that week end.

Mama : do you say that only 5 teams in entirety played in the USSSA State tournament for AAA level?

I mean that has to be by far the largest registered playing level !

Is this accurate and if so why what happened

Anyone?

Edited by - coachdan06 on 08/13/2008 09:04:28
Go to Top of Page

wildcats9596

110 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  09:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coachdan06

quote:

quote:

Tyrone Astros?
5-Tool Nationals?
Newton Co. Tigers?
South Gwinnett Commets?

Opinions?

Mama : do you say that only 5 teams in entirety played in the USSSA State tournament for AAA level?

Anyone?

Actually it was 6.

Probably timing and format. There were 16 teams in two 8 team sub-states the weekend of 6/13-6/15 and they invited the top 3 from each for the state the weekend of 6/20-6/22. The Sub-state was Week 2 and the State was Week 3 of Cooperstown. I think they expected to fill 6-8 sub-states, and have 18-24 teams in the State, but because of the timing and format they didn't. If you were in Week 1 of Cooperstown, you couldn't realistically play in the Sub-state and if you were in Week 4, you might want to pass on the State. WP did, we didn't.

When they only got 16 teams, they probably should have gone to a one-week, double elimination format.

I take that back. We like it just the way it was.
Go to Top of Page

alphadawg12

38 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  10:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The WP Panthers did not play in the State because of timing. We were going to Cooperstown the following week and did not want to play 4 weekends in a row and then travel to Cooperstown the next weekend.

Not crazy about the format. I think USSSA will have the same issues going forward and probably need to re-think the format if they want more participation.
Go to Top of Page

alphadawg12

38 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  11:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Add one more team that should be moving to majors: Dalton Tigers
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Old School

314 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  11:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
12U is a little more difficult with Cooperstown thrown in. With it being every week throughout the summer, and a lot of teams from this area going, there will be a lot that miss tournaments like these. Just the way it goes, though.

Congratulations to the Wildcats for their win, regardless of how many teams were in it.
Go to Top of Page

wildcats9596

110 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  13:29:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they were thinking they wouldn't spread it over 2 weekends at this age. And do it during the 10YO Cooperstown week. The Sub States actually were.

Off topic, though, the USSSA tournaments we played in this year were less than inspiring. Communication being the biggest problem. I also would like better information on who has committed to play. They are really bad about that. Maybe that's another reason they didn't get a lot of teams in their Sub State and State.

Of course, the Slugfest got frozen out and it was the best USSSA the year before last.
Go to Top of Page

sjohnson1

61 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  16:47:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wildcats9596

quote:
Originally posted by coachdan06

quote:

quote:

Tyrone Astros?
5-Tool Nationals?
Newton Co. Tigers?
South Gwinnett Commets?

Opinions?

Anyone?

Actually it was 6.

Probably timing and format. There were 16 teams in two 8 team sub-states the weekend of 6/13-6/15 and they invited the top 3 from each for the state the weekend of 6/20-6/22. The Sub-state was Week 2 and the State was Week 3 of Cooperstown. I think they expected to fill 6-8 sub-states, and have 18-24 teams in the State, but because of the timing and format they didn't. If you were in Week 1 of Cooperstown, you couldn't realistically play in the Sub-state and if you were in Week 4, you might want to pass on the State. WP did, we didn't.

When they only got 16 teams, they probably should have gone to a one-week, double elimination format.

I take that back. We like it just the way it was .

From your explanation for such an unusually small tournament, you should not have to move up to majors.
Go to Top of Page

baseballbob

7 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  13:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the team(strong core) have left Combat. Only strong (major level player) left is the head coaches son. Not the same team for next spring.
Go to Top of Page

jd1159

18 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  19:59:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baseballbob

Most of the team(strong core) have left Combat. Only strong (major level player) left is the head coaches son. Not the same team for next spring.

Not accurate re coaches son being the only strong player.
Very Accurate re not the same team for next spring- they are much better!
Go to Top of Page

bigdog

231 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  06:41:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baseballbob-they arent a one man show. Yes there was turnover and they will be a different team for next spring. As will just about every team out there. I am sure they will get some good players to solidify their roster from the tryouts.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000