General Discussion
 Metal Cleats?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  09:25:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Metal cleats will not be allowed in divisions 12 and below" - I saw posted on a USSSA tourney site. Having a son going into 13U this season - can someone give me some details on the majority of players ...METAL or RUBBER cleats? What will we see at 13U? Tks!

Brian

SportsDad

293 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  10:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
almost exclusively metal...wearing rubber cleats at 13 is almost as bad as wearing a painted batting helmet with some silly "nickname" on it
Go to Top of Page

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  10:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking so but wanted to be sure - Thanks SportsDad. Loved the analogy!
Go to Top of Page

12uCoach

357 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  11:16:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have your kid in the cleats at home for some work in the backyard BEFORE they wear them for their first try-out/practice. Metal cleats "grab" the softer ground better and twisting a knee or ankle becuse the cleats don't turn as quickly on soft ground as plastic is a big difference.
Go to Top of Page

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  12:03:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Point 12u - Use 'em to Aerate the yard first :) In all seriousness, because of the ankle twist threat and such - You consider them good or bad for catcher's position?
Go to Top of Page

12uCoach

357 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  12:25:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once a player get's used to them, there is no going back...
Go to Top of Page

25LOVESTHEGAME

48 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  12:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at you GOYARD. Quality post. I learned something again.
Go to Top of Page

jr63

7 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  14:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So for the upcoming 13U try-outs is it recommended that the player wears metal spikes? For those playing fall ball that might make sense, but others will more than likely out grow the spikes by spring?

Edited by - jr63 on 07/30/2008 09:07:06
Go to Top of Page

sjohnson1

61 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  14:52:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SportsDad

wearing rubber cleats at 13 is almost as bad as wearing a painted batting helmet with some silly "nickname" on it

Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  16:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SportsDad,
I am still laughing about that reference. It is true, but funny though.
Go to Top of Page

scottwill311

52 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  17:15:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats just an unfair bash on molded cleats!Comparing them to painted helmets... not right.More and more big leaguers are wearing the molded cleats,especially middle infielders.Ask Moises Alou what he thinks of the metal spikes... remember his leg after making a turn around first base.
Go to Top of Page

Mike Corbin

523 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  08:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many of our players still wore molded or ruber cleats at 13. They are made so much better now than they were in the past. With there not being so much of a difference between them. My son who was on Varsity the last two years wore plastic cleats for a while this year as he was trying to get over some shin splints.

Metal cleats are unforgiving! You can injure yourself in them as the other people have talked about. If your son or someone on your team is still a little awkward and growing into their body my advice would be to stick with molded or rubber until they are a little more coordinated. There is no sense in injuring yourself because someone might think you are a little goofey for wearing them. Besides, many of the cleats look exactly the same wether they are spikes or not.

Edited by - Mike Corbin on 07/30/2008 09:07:48
Go to Top of Page

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  09:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good input and thanks - I think I now have the perfect solution ....Left foot Spike - Right foot Molded ...Or is it the other way around :)
Go to Top of Page

25LOVESTHEGAME

48 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  10:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW the cleat bottom debate heats up.
Go to Top of Page

25LOVESTHEGAME

48 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  14:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to develop a spike with half metal and half rubber bottom. Be creative Yard. Be a leader
Go to Top of Page

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  15:47:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's it "Cherokee Yard"! :))
Go to Top of Page

beanball

222 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  16:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually boys, Mizuno makes a shoe with metal in the front, rubber in the back. My son wore them this year and liked them a lot. I think he'll go to all metal next year though.
Go to Top of Page

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  08:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks BeanBall - did some research and those actually look pretty cool. Mizuno 9-Spike Vapor Lite G2.G3 Mids or lows run anywhere from $70-110 from what I saw.
Go to Top of Page

beanball

222 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  10:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just make sure your players are using trainers in the batting cages though, particullarly if they're on the hitting matts or artificial surface. Saw a boy catch his front clete in the matt and dislocate his knee. Not a pretty sight.
Go to Top of Page

ECB_Insider

54 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  13:53:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also,
Don't let them walk on the asphault or concrete with them. It wears the cleats down and breaks down the insoles where they start to hurt the balls of their feet. Turf shoes are definately a must.
Go to Top of Page

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  14:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also would be interested in hearing of actual frequency of players getting "spiked" or slashed - In other words, does it happen that much at the age of 13 at say middle infield or catcher? I know it's just part of the progression of the game but I've seen some pretty good scars from sharpened spikes.
Go to Top of Page

SportsDad

293 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  16:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sharpened spikes are not only illegal but pretty darn unethical...any kid who gets caught sharpening spikes should be banned from baseball..To be homest, if my kid (who plays middled infield) got spiked/slashed by a kid with sharpened spike, the justice system would be involved, along with a legal suit against his parents and the coaches he played for and the park he played out of would be brought into it too...
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  16:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son just got done with playing 14&under. In two years, I can only think of one time a player got hurt involving metal spikes. It was a steal situation. The throw to second was high, infielder went up to get it and came down on the leg of the sliding runner. Runner wound up with a gash in his calf.
Go to Top of Page

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  16:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree SportsDad and in this post - I actually was more referring to spikes that had more side wear or front wear that can sometimes cause them to act sharper - wasn't meaning to make it sound like 13u's actually file them . To nip that and ask a more simple question ... Is it common to see kids actually get hurt as a direct result of metal cleats at 13U or similar ages?
Go to Top of Page

beanball

222 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  06:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw 2-3 minor incidents this year (13U)mostly sliding into the bags and the fielder did not get his hand out quick enough. One play was between fielders going for a short fly & one player was steped on. In my opinon you need to teach the infielders to no longer block the bag with their leg as they're accoustomed to do.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000