New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  13:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I have just been around people that have cared more about getting it right than padding the stats. If a team has an official score keeper, it needs to be someone that is trusted to make the right call on a play and is not offended when someone says "was that a hit or an error?"
Go to Top of Page

TravelBaseBallMom

5 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  16:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pronate
To answer your questions, (1) I always try to keep every experience positive in my sons eyes, as for me not so good. You asked did he get good instructions? the coach was ok intructionally, (2) ?'d playing time, less than most.(3) Did he play his position,never saw the position he has played for years.
When I said everyone didn't pay the say amount, quoute "I said we all has a set amount which was the same", others did more thinking any overages would go towards helping later expenses. No1 was assigned less some did more. The coach was not paid, he doesn't have a son on the team, all the assistants have sons. You also mentoned "As a possibility of giving the coach the benefit of the doubt", when 2 other children left the team, the other children same ones as before were going around telling the other child that the other 2 kids left "because their mom and dads could not afford to stay on the team." Guess that blew that thought out of the water.
So you are saying because my son is now at the level of travel I should not press the coach for financial statements ? I should just pay my money and be happy ?
quote:
Originally posted by Pronate

Travelmom wrote:

I appreciate your response, I guess I never asked, it's something that has always been provided I took it for granted. I added more to my message, I would appreciate and add'l response if you don't mind. lQQking for help... Thx...[/b]

Travelmom:

The first question I always ask when I hear a story like this is ...How was your and your son'e experience with this team leaving aside the money paid? Did he get good instruction in your opinion? Did he get enough playing time? Did he play the position he thought he was going to play going into the season?

I am curious why you say everyone did not pay the same amount. Why would that be? Did people get assigned less because they were going to play less? Did the coach pay? or was he paid? Did the coach have a son on the team?

When you are trying to get youe son on a travel team it is totally understandable that you don't press the coach for financial statements.

Given that "several" parents asked for financial statements it sounds like you were not in a good situation.

As a possibility of giving the coach the benefit of the doubt, my son was on a travel team and at the farewell banquet the coach shared with my wife that a couple of parents did not pay. That really presents a terrible dilemma for the coach. I certainly wouldn't want a kid to get embarrassed so perhaps the coach was protecting people who, for whatever reason, could not pay the fees. As you know the economy has tumbled a bit since the start of the baseball season.

e
[/quote]

Edited by - TravelBaseBallMom on 08/03/2008 16:50:42
Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  19:29:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is perfectly within your right to ask a coach, prior to joining a team, what the expected budget per family will be. It may not be exactly known because it depends on the number of players, types of uniforms, exact # of tournaments, etc, but they should be able to give you an idea of what their past budgets were.

I also believe that it is within your right to want to have an idea as you are going through the season to know what your expenses are running compared to what you have paid/credited for. It helps alleviate the surprise "We need an additional $250 by next Monday to pay for XXXX expense."

I don't think that it is too much to ask.

Every team needs to have someone, not coaching, keep the finances. It is best to have an accountant or a lawyer, but not everyone is luck enough to have this resource. It is just a lot for a coach to manage along with the day to day operations. It also cuts down on the feeling like the coaching staff is hiding the expenses.
Go to Top of Page

Pronate

156 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  13:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Travelmom:

I'm not suggesting what you should do because, quite frankly, I don't know what I'd do.

But here's the deal with me, if a coach steals from a youth baseball team he's going to jail. If someone erroneously accuses a coach of stealing, she's going to jail. I'm comfortable you got yourself into a bad situation wth this team, but you have to be very careful when dealing with someone's integrity. There are plenty of bad but very honest coaches out there.

How much money did you pay to be on this team? How many games/practices did you have? What percentage of the time did your son play? What did the coach say about playing time?

I know these questions have nothing to do with whether the coach should open his books. He should. Perhaps, however, others can evaluate the return on your investment in this team. If the general concensus is that you got a fairly reasonable return on your investment, then I would probably lean toward letting the matter drop.

e
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000