General Discussion
 playing with a cast
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

411onbaseball

18 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  21:24:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there any rules about playing with a cast?

SportsDad

293 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  10:01:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm presuming the only type of cast you could possibly play with is a wrist cast. So, he could be hit by a pitch on it, he could fall/slide/collide with it on, all which would seem to take a risk against possibly futher injury to himself or another player.. No I never heard a rule against it,but I don't think there are rules against stupidity either..What coach/parent would risk further injury to his player/son or another ballplayer just so he could "play" with a cast on? If there isn't a specific rule against it, I'd hope an umpire would not allow it to happen.. If I was an umpire I'd eject the kid from the game the first time he stepped foot on the field and I'd eject the head coach with him!!!
Go to Top of Page

Gold Glove

129 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2008 :  01:32:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SportsDad

I'm presuming the only type of cast you could possibly play with is a wrist cast. So, he could be hit by a pitch on it, he could fall/slide/collide with it on, all which would seem to take a risk against possibly futher injury to himself or another player.. No I never heard a rule against it,but I don't think there are rules against stupidity either..What coach/parent would risk further injury to his player/son or another ballplayer just so he could "play" with a cast on? If there isn't a specific rule against it, I'd hope an umpire would not allow it to happen.. If I was an umpire I'd eject the kid from the game the first time he stepped foot on the field and I'd eject the head coach with him!!!

So, is playing football with a cast on stupid too? Seems like all of your statements about injuries would be intensified in football, but players are playing every week with their casts padded or bubble wrapped, with orthopaedic clearance.

Haven't seen any coaches or players ejected either.

Edited by - Gold Glove on 06/27/2008 09:14:01
Go to Top of Page

a1prog

164 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2008 :  20:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interesting question and the point about football got me thinking. i am hard pressed to understand how one could swing a bat with a wrist cast. as a coach i couldnt put a kid on the field with a cast.

nfhs rules do allow a cast so long as it is covered with ".5 inch of closed cell non-recovery rubber or some other material of the same minimum thickness having similar properties".
Go to Top of Page

Gold Glove

129 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2008 :  21:18:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a1prog

interesting question and the point about football got me thinking. i am hard pressed to understand how one could swing a bat with a wrist cast. as a coach i couldnt put a kid on the field with a cast.

nfhs rules do allow a cast so long as it is covered with ".5 inch of closed cell non-recovery rubber or some other material of the same minimum thickness having similar properties".

I agree, baserunning only.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000