Best Coaching Practices
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SportsDad

293 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  22:52:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Posted - 04/17/2008 : 06:15:41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote:

I want to thank everyone who came out for the trypout for the 15U Kennesaw Dawgs on Sunday, April 13th. I was really impressed with every player with their poise and skill.
All the players have been contacted that will be playing for the Dawgs and again, I wish to thank everyone who tried out.
Rick Webster

Rick, this is not directed towards you personally, for I do not know how you handled the kids that didn't make, and I have no dog in the fight, my son didn't try out for your team.

A while back the board discussed try-out, cuts, and how important it is to contact the kids that didn't make your team and explain to them why.. Now at 15U, I'm not sure explanation are need, but certainly at the younger ages a contact from the coach to the parent or to the player is not only important (explain why he didn't make it and what skills he needs to improve to make the/a team) but it's also the decent thing to do. Now I also realize that most all teams have set rosters at this date, but I hope the coaches (especially the coaches of younger age groups) remember next year, that it's really easy to tell a kid he made the team, it's takes a GREAT coach to take the time to tell a kid why he didn't make the team, and to COACH those kids as well...

WJrWolverines

53 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  14:33:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I absolutely agree. Maybe the coaches that don't call the kids' parents that didn't make their team can enlighten the rest of us as to the reason(s) they don't. Perhaps there are some legit reasons???

Edited by - WJrWolverines on 04/24/2008 14:46:47
Go to Top of Page

FearAD

59 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  20:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have heard this comment before. At some tryouts there are over 60 kids present. Is it reasonable to expect a coach to call every single kid that did not make and give a detailed explanation why their kids didn't make. I like this generic "Thank You" listed above but I don't think it's realistic for a coach to call ever kid that does not make.

I do believe that if a parent calls and ask why then the coach should give him a reasonable explanation.
Go to Top of Page

bb baseball

73 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  09:34:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With all due respect, I don't care if there are 100 kids, a coach needs to call them. I've always called all kids and some of those calls are easier (and shorter) than others. As coaches, we owe it to the baseball community to communicate with kids who came out and did their best but fell short. Also, if you pre-screeen, do some pre-tryout workouts and explain the level of play of your team you can usually keep the tryout number reasonable.

Edited by - bb baseball on 04/28/2008 09:42:45
Go to Top of Page

SportsDad

293 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  13:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can always divide it up between the 3 coaches..that even with 60 kids at try-out, minus the 12 kids that make it, your talking 16 calls a piece..doesn't sound that unrealistic to do the right thing
Go to Top of Page

coachdan06

433 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  15:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SportsDad

You can always divide it up between the 3 coaches..that even with 60 kids at try-out, minus the 12 kids that make it, your talking 16 calls a piece..doesn't sound that unrealistic to do the right thing

I must agree.

Yes 60 calls are a lot to make if divided even over 3 or 4 coaches.

Remember though that this is youth baseball not the Major Leagues where a lot more maturity money and talent is involved.

Be a good member of the community and use your privilege of acting as a Coach to give back some respect and goodwill to those who came out in good faith that you would give their child a chance.

Be truthful in the assesment but dont compare to someone else by name , then it becomes personal.
Go to Top of Page

billbclk

164 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  13:04:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Start with emailing the list, include that you can be contacted personally via phone or email to discuss specifics and make yourself readily available. You want the kids who were close to continue to work hard and tryout again next year. Remember this year’s cut could be next year’s keeper.

I agree with bb baseball in that we owe it to the community. Calling sixty families is extreme. I send emails and invite parents to call back.

Bill Clark
Collins Hill 13U Silver Eagles
Go to Top of Page

Jr Longhorns

46 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  00:47:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Much prefer to do this, and have in the past. But... Gets kinda tough, and old, when every parent wants to spend an hour discussing things in detail and ends up getting ticked because you are being critical of their little Johnny.

Now days, I will gladly entertain discussing why a player didn't make the team if either the parent or player asks me. But I tend not to offer unless I see a kid that would make a good prospect with a simple tweak.

Another thing that I have done at the end of the season is to assess those players that desire to know my opinion. Very few have taken me up on it, unfortunately.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000