General Discussion
 Stepping out when batting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jscoda

123 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  13:34:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What method has anyone found success with when a player continues to step out when at bat? He had a bad experience being hit and has been afraid ever since. Someone told me Mark Teixeira had the same problem until a coach in the minor leagues started him on his open stance and forced him to step into the ball. Ideas?

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  08:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen a coach use a spare tire to put the front foot in so the player cannot step out, but can still stride, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't during the game. I have seen guys put kids gloves, toys, hats etc behind the foot so he wont step on them. Again might not work during a game. My theory is a kid will figure it out eventually when he gets older, but might suffer until he does. You can spread the kid out ala Albert Puljols and have him just lift his front heel and put it back down. It will kill power but will definately stop the stepping out. If you figure it out let us know.
Go to Top of Page

12uCoach

357 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  08:40:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have the kid stand on a 2x4, move to a drawn or painted line ...
Go to Top of Page

coachdan06

433 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  16:22:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is related to fear of the ball. When he is ready and confident enough to stand in it will happen. Not until then.
Props , coaching , encouragement , punishments wont make any difference until then.
Go to Top of Page

humanitarian2112

11 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  13:48:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing I've found to cure this issue is to teach them not to move their feet. Have them focus on keeping their feet still and swing arms only. They will still perform an inate transfer of power during the swing movement. I've also found that many of these players just leave the game. The baseball hurts.
Go to Top of Page

dblinkh1

39 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  15:46:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I coach rec ball and I often have kids who step away from every pitch. I make them stand with a very open stance so they can't step any farther out. They naturally step toward the pitch because they are starting so open and over time they move back to a more natural stance.
Go to Top of Page

billbclk

164 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  12:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys,

There is no mechanics adjustment that will fix the fear of being hit. Either he will get over it or quit competitive baseball.

Bill Clark
Collins Hill 13U
Go to Top of Page

Jr Longhorns

46 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  00:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, I determine that they are afraid of the ball, even tho most won't openly admit it. Then I ask why - sometimes they will admit to being pegged...

Then I use rubber baseballs and I take the time to teach them how to turn in and take a pitch that is going to hit them, so that they take it the best way possible, and NOT in the ribs or the middle of the back/spine.

Then I sue aids to try and help them break their mental and muscle memory. This includes laying on the ground (with a helmet on!) and holding their ankles... It has worked... but the player does have to come to terms with it internally as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000