New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SportsDad

293 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  23:46:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully this weekend, the weather will be nice, and the bat warmer thread will "melt away" along with those goofy bat socks/insulation, which are as silly as helmets with "skulls" painted on them, with nicknames like "hitman" or my personal favorite J-Rod.-)
Go to Top of Page

SportsDad

293 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  09:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

SportsDad,
I guess my humor is not on the same level as yours. My statement was about the players staying warm themselves, not keeping the bat warm.....
[/quote]

Sorry Gold Glove, I misread your statement, although as a father of a son who played a HS game yesterday, I'm convinced the older they get the more complain about the cold..Of course they are all out there in short sleves, because wearing thermal underwear isn't "cool."
Go to Top of Page

wwbc

36 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  12:12:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son used one all last year when it happen to be cold. USSSA, Triple Crown never said a word. No tournament ever had a problem with it to my knowledge. Through this experience of having used the warmer i can honestly say that i never really noticed any difference in the trampoline effect or any effect for that matter when he hit the ball. He hit 3 homeruns all of last year which all were in the heat of the summer when the warmer was not in use. So i'm not saying the warmer couldn't have the effect that's being talk about, all i know is we walk away with both our bats in one piece and are currently still useing them. The bats are Combat b1 2 1/4 barrel and b2 2 5/8, great bats. My son was 10 last year and stood about 4'6 75lbs, not a big kid. He hit his first homerun at 9yrs old useing a teamates b2 which of course caused me to have to buy him one, as well as the b1 which is the one he ended up hitting the 3 this past year with. As someone else already stated, i feel it provides more protection for the bat during cold weather than giving an upper hand to the hitter. Don't forget the colder it gets the harder the baseballs get too. Just another part of the equation that plays a role as well, if not a bigger role. Some might also say that ball has been altered at that point too. If it's being used during the warm season then i could see it as an attempt to gain more trampoline effect. However, it was intended for cold weather use, but how far do we really want to stretch things. Lets just play ball.
Go to Top of Page

HITANDRUN

436 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  15:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone told me Composites work better when cold? Anyone care to do the physics behind this being true or not?
Go to Top of Page

PerfectGame

55 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  21:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't it just the composite bats that will crack when it's cold ... or also aluminum?
Go to Top of Page

Steel-Will

278 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  22:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HITANDRUN

Someone told me Composites work better when cold? Anyone care to do the physics behind this being true or not?

We played in the Oregon Park tourney a few weeks ago and Friday night and Saturday morning it was plenty cold. And, unfortunately for us, balls were jumping out of the park!!!!

My first thought was that of surprise seeing that in this cold weather, balls were just flying over the fence with such ease.

One hit Saturday morning was described as a "check swing" by the dad.

Maybe there is something to balls going further in cold weather off composite bats although I must confess, it goes against all the physics I thought I knew.... :
)
Go to Top of Page

Arnie66

22 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  11:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about just using "wood"?? Maybe the fall is a better time to implement wood bat events, thus avoiding any issues relative to bat performance, damage, etc?? Just a thought. Then you would avoid any issues.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000