General Discussion
 moving to GA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ramman999

241 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  10:51:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure this is going to happen in the next 60 days, which means we'll be looking for an 11u team - looking at Kennesaw/Roswell/Marrietta areas pretty hard and will more than likely live on that side of ATL.

I'd like to hear some opinions on the best areas with feeder HS programs in those areas, if there are some. I know east cobb in name, but what other programs are around.

SSBuckeye

575 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  17:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We live in Milton, and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. It's horse country and just beautiful. Of course, there are a lot of great communities in this area, so you can't really go wrong. Depends what you're looking for. You probably won't want to play feeder baseball wherever you end up, but there are numerous schools that have feeder programs, Sprayberry, Creekview and Northview are three that come to mind for baseball. Our kids will go to the new high school that is being built in Milton (www.cambridgehs.org), and it is going to be beautiful! There are so many former athletes who settle in Milton that the coaching is insanely good. Milton was just named the top city to live in Georgia and #37 nationally.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

loveforthegame25

448 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  16:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We live in canton. We are 45-60 minutes from every top baseball area in metro Atlanta. Up to chattanooga. Perfect place to live for a baseball family.
Go to Top of Page

bestplayinbaseball

67 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  21:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're loving South Cherokee. Close to good Rec ball, E Cobb, and competitive HS baseball. Ideal for travel to most tournies, convenient to expressway, great baseball programs in and nearby. Welcome to GA!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Old School

314 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  11:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are moving up to that area, you are <20 minutes away from a ton of great baseball programs. My advice is to find an area that is zoned for schools which provide the educational needs you require. There is a lot of disparity between school districts so do your homework there. You can adapt to the baseball a lot easier and cheaper than you can the education.

Welcome to GA.
Go to Top of Page

Gwinnett

791 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  11:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being in the atlanta area affords you the oppurtunity to play with many great travel teams. If you're planing ahead for HS you will want to consider Lilburn (parkview HS). If you're looking for both school and baseball lilburn is the answer! One of the top testing schools for education. Let's not forget-the best baseball program in the state!

GO PARKVIEW!!!!!!!! Bring us another state championship Chan!!!!!!!!

Edited by - Gwinnett on 12/19/2011 12:13:16
Go to Top of Page

Mike Corbin

523 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  19:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to sure where you got that Parkview is the best program in the state. They certainly have had much success. But so have Cartersville, Columbus, Greenbrier, Lassiter, Walton, Pope, Alpharetta. As well as some of the private schools in Marist, Woodward, Landmark, Blessed Trinity, ect.... There are many very good programs in the area you are asking about. It depends on what you are really looking for. It will require a bit of work on your part, but with him only being 11 you have time.

Unless you know it to be a legitimate feeder team I would stay away from many of those as they are generally not very well run and usually coached by a couple of the dads. Understand I'm not saying that dads can't be or aren't good coaches. But the good ones are usually the exception not the rule. Find a good fit in a travel program first and good luck.
Go to Top of Page

ramman999

241 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  20:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just really thinking down the road because school is the priority, but being selfish because athletics are his passion - with him in 6th grade, HS is around the corner, my thought is to get him in an area with kids he may play HS ball with, as well as get on the coaches radar. In NC, the HS coaches already keep tabs on the middle school prospects, steer families in the right directions, etc. I guess if I was a high school coach, I'd do the same - keep one eye on my JV and varsity teams and the other on my upcoming middle school kids.

Go to Top of Page

Mike Corbin

523 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  23:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see where your thoughts would be gearing towards that. Like I said their are not very many well run and well coached feeder teams in the area you are looking. There are a HUGE amount of good travel teams though. With East Cobb, 6-4-3, Team Georgia ect... Not to far away at all. I would look for your educational needs first like you said. Their are many baseball opportunities that you can explore. On top of having very good baseball in those areas, they generally have good schools as well.
Go to Top of Page

Gwinnett

791 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  09:20:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, JMO on PARKVIEW...lol.... You're right there are many other baseball programs! I would strongly agree with Mike on the feeder programs. With soooo many travel team opportunitys I would stay far away from the feeder programs.

I would find the best education for your kids first! Then go find a great baseball program. Thankfully you can do both here.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Corbin

Not to sure where you got that Parkview is the best program in the state. They certainly have had much success. But so have Cartersville, Columbus, Greenbrier, Lassiter, Walton, Pope, Alpharetta. As well as some of the private schools in Marist, Woodward, Landmark, Blessed Trinity, ect.... There are many very good programs in the area you are asking about. It depends on what you are really looking for. It will require a bit of work on your part, but with him only being 11 you have time.

Unless you know it to be a legitimate feeder team I would stay away from many of those as they are generally not very well run and usually coached by a couple of the dads. Understand I'm not saying that dads can't be or aren't good coaches. But the good ones are usually the exception not the rule. Find a good fit in a travel program first and good luck.

Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  10:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No better schools than Cobb county.....East Cobb probably the better athletic programs overall. You want to be in districts with little to no transient housing (apartments) and top notch middle programs. I agree that the feeder programs, on the whole are pretty weak. Travel baseball is your best bet to have your kid exposed to more competitive ball.
Go to Top of Page

baseballnutz

427 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  10:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ramman999

I'm pretty sure this is going to happen in the next 60 days, which means we'll be looking for an 11u team - looking at Kennesaw/Roswell/Marrietta areas pretty hard and will more than likely live on that side of ATL.

I'd like to hear some opinions on the best areas with feeder HS programs in those areas, if there are some. I know east cobb in name, but what other programs are around.

ramman999, you're picking a great area to raise a family and enjoy the game of baseball and if I could do it again I would look in the East Cobb area. You have 3 very solid public schools in Kell, Pope and Walton with high standards for academics and athletics, plus you have East Cobb and 6-4-3 right there as well. If you are looking to go private you could look at Blessed Trinity and Walker, both are top notch. Good luck in your search.
Go to Top of Page

ramman999

241 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  11:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
appreciate the feedback everyone. Hate leaving a pretty strong program in NC (UC Vipers, TBS #12 @ 11u), but know about a bunch of strong ones in GA, and am pretty sure there are others I didn't know about yet...
Go to Top of Page

Going-Going-Gone

62 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  17:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GA is the 2nd best state in the US for youth baseball. #1 is Philly!
Go to Top of Page

ramman999

241 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  21:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Going-Going-Gone

I'm assuming you're kidding - I always thought it went CA, GA, FLA, although I'm sure there are others that will argue the order...
Go to Top of Page

itsbaseballtime

348 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  20:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ramman- Send me an email when you know whats going on for sure...

Merry Christmas!

quote]Originally posted by ramman999

quote:
Originally posted by Going-Going-Gone

I'm assuming you're kidding - I always thought it went CA, GA, FLA, although I'm sure there are others that will argue the order...
[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

ramman999

241 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  10:25:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by itsbaseballtime

ramman- Send me an email when you know whats going on for sure...

Merry Christmas!

quote]

Will do, thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Flatbat22

18 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  20:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Philly a state? Mike had great insight on this topic. There are several travel programs that will satisfy your baseball needs. There are several that have development in mind. Mike did not mention the GA Roadrunners which he is a part of. I respect that, but they take a backseat to no one. In the alpharetta area there are several good private schools and Team Ga and Patriot Baseball Academy, along with the RR's, that provide excellent development for young baseball players. BTW, CA, TX, FL, GA, LA produce most of the D1 college players.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000