General Discussion
 Torn Labrum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

biged

198 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  21:48:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have any of you heard of tearing a labrum while swinging the bat? My son has been diagnosed with a labrum tear of his non throwing arm.

Dr. Old School

314 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  11:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That typically comes from letting go of the bat with the top hand and letting the bottom hand do all the work of stopping the bat at the end of the swing. A milder occurrence is to get tendonitis in the shoulder.

I used to get tendonitis quite often because of it.
Go to Top of Page

Bigwhitevan

67 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  16:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. Just read up on it. Many different tears in this area. Common cause overhead activity and dislocation/almost dislocation. One mentioned catching yourself while falling with outstretched arm. One said physical exam is not reliable. All this screams CAUTION and second opinion. More than one pair of eyes type thing. Good luck! Hope just RICE therapy.
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  10:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
biged, just wondering if your son has started lifting weights. I have seen this in overhead presses/Military Press and some bench press done incorrectly. The swing could have just aggravated the shoulder more if injured by something else. I would however get a second opinion as someone else suggested.
Go to Top of Page

bball2008

100 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  16:03:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hurricane makes a great point. Have seen this injury to several boys who started lifting weights too early to try and get ahead. It can especially happen if they are lifting without supervision.
Go to Top of Page

biged

198 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  18:43:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He had an MRI today and the results will be out Monday. I appreciate your input. He has been lifting weights for a while, however, he has picked up the intensity since football has ended. His swing has a tendency to be bottom had dominant despite my best efforts to make him top hand dominant. So, both seniors could be the cause.
Go to Top of Page

BatChipper

52 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  21:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Torn rotator cuff and labrum. Happened my freshman year trying to beat out a bunt, tripped over the first baseman's foot.....falling to my right side, put my arms out to catch my weight, right arm hit, buckled under me and that was all she wrote for my baseball career. My rotator cuff was already damaged (was hurting but didnt let anyone know), but since I played outfield and only had to make two maybe three strong throws in......I just fought through it, but when they found out my rotator cuff was gone. So yes, putting your arms out to catch yourself can tear your labrum. I am living proof
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000