General Discussion
 Ideal roster size
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hitn4avg

5 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  10:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am putting together a first year 13u AA travel team. I am seeking input on what others think is an ideal number of players to carry on a roster. I will not have any "Pitchers Only" kids. I was originally thinking 11 but wonder if it would be good to have 12 due to injuries, conflicts etc.

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  11:56:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carry the same number as the age, in your case, 13. You WILL have injuries as kids hit puberty and growth stretches them, they ARE more susceptible to injuries. At 13, you get ALOT of sore arms.

If you don't have at least 13, you will spend many weekends scrambling or flat running out of pitching as you go deeper in a tourney. Remember you now play 7 inning games.

quote:
Originally posted by hitn4avg

I am putting together a first year 13u AA travel team. I am seeking input on what others think is an ideal number of players to carry on a roster. I will not have any "Pitchers Only" kids. I was originally thinking 11 but wonder if it would be good to have 12 due to injuries, conflicts etc.

Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  12:24:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At this age it's tough. This may sound negative, but we've been through this several times now and I have to say it.

It's a slippery slope. If you try to keep the roster size down (11), you run a risk if a couple folks get hurt or if anybody gets upset and bails on you. Then you are scrambling for replacement players.

If you protect against all that (13 players and up), then you have unhappy campers on the bench and in the stands.

You really have to consider a LOT at 13. Growth spurts lend themselves to aches and pains. Maybe not TRUE injuries, but each kid is different. Some can play through, some can't or won't or their parents won't let them. First year team? How well do you know the players and parents? Are they going to stay committed or will you find yourself with some team jumpers leaving everybody else hanging?

Financially, are you bare bones or did you leave room for some emergencies? Nothing is worse than scrambling to pay bills because somebody stiffed you or others having to cough up more money because somebody didn't fulfill their obligation.

All things to consider.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  13:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by in_the_know

Carry the same number as the age, in your case, 13. You WILL have injuries as kids hit puberty and growth stretches them, they ARE more susceptible to injuries. At 13, you get ALOT of sore arms.

If you don't have at least 13, you will spend many weekends scrambling or flat running out of pitching as you go deeper in a tourney. Remember you now play 7 inning games.

quote:
Originally posted by hitn4avg

This
Go to Top of Page

RACGOFAR

208 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  13:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with In The Know. 12-13 players for this age group is best for the reasons stated. They need to start understanding that they have roles and are not necessarily going to play every inning or in every game. Unless they can hit the cover off the ball, they will have to start getting used to platooning and riding the bench in high school.
Go to Top of Page

HITANDRUN

436 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  14:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because you said AA team I would say you can get away with 12. Every one of them should be able to pitch some innings. If Major or AAA I would say minimum 13.
Go to Top of Page

hitn4avg

5 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  09:51:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That helps me out alot and gives me more to think about. Sounds like no less than 12 is a good idea and possibly 13 is a good idea. Great Information Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  11:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RACGOFAR

I agree with In The Know. 12-13 players for this age group is best for the reasons stated. They need to start understanding that they have roles and are not necessarily going to play every inning or in every game. Unless they can hit the cover off the ball, they will have to start getting used to platooning and riding the bench in high school.

Roles: yes. Lord how I wish some PARENTS would get a clue and figure that out as well.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  13:43:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rippit

quote:
Originally posted by RACGOFAR

Roles: yes. Lord how I wish some PARENTS would get a clue and figure that out as well.

seconded

or thirded

Whatever. I agree.
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  14:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I couldn't agree more, kids get better from playing but that isn't always the best case for the team....Especially if being competitive and winning tourneys is the goal. We are a 12U team and I for one would love to carry 13 kids...It would give us another arm to help carry the load and while the kids who are primarily pitchers wouldn't become a pitcher only they would probably only play the field on Saturday, allowing the best possible defense to play Sunday....

I WISH....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000