Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NWBA Forums
 General Discussion
 Why do managers always pick the "Beast" ?!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Peanutsr

171 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  13:00:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to disagree with your premise.
My mother in law has never been picked.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  13:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two quick stories about this whole topic.

I talked to a family who had a kid that played baseball all through HS and even made 1st team all region in a 5A school his senior year. Had an offer to play for a JC that he turned down and decided he was going to try to walk on at a pretty good D2 school this fall. Tried out and didn't make it. Coach basically said we need fast guys on the team. Slowest kid on the team ran a 7.2 60 and he is the 1st baseman. Didn't matter how good the kids hit or fielded, if they didn't run a good 60 time, they were ruled out. Coach said they were looking for guys who could go from 1st to 3rd on a single or 1st to home on a double. Even the big guys.

My family talked to a D2 school this weekend and the coach there was essentially saying the same thing. Their HR's were cut down in half from the year before due to the BBCOR situation. They are looking for guys who can run the bases. Not really pursuing the big slow guys. They are looking for the guys who can run the bases. If they can get a big guy, he better have some speed, both from the defensive side in being able to keep runs down as well as the offensive side in running the bases.

I'm not saying the big guys can't play, I'm just relaying what college coaches are now saying - and that is that speed is a premium. If you are big, you better be able to run as well. I would say that taking speed and agility lessons may be just as important as taking hitting lessons to play at the college level. Learn how to run a quick 60, it is the standard by which you will be measured, like it or not.
Go to Top of Page

jongamefan

218 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  17:23:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coach has to have the beast eh ?

Sounds like EGO to me ya know: we got big guys so then Im a big guy too yadayada

Sorry to say cynical words but Ive heard it Iv seen it

If Im coaching I want the smaller or medium or big kid who can field hit and run

And then Im size-blind

Go to Top of Page

perfect-game

5 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2011 :  01:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have all seen the power a little dude can pack! It's baseball. Anything can happen and to judge a book by it's cover is the oldest and dumbest trick in the book.
Go to Top of Page

11UFAN

149 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  07:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bballman

Two quick stories about this whole topic.

I talked to a family who had a kid that played baseball all through HS and even made 1st team all region in a 5A school his senior year. Had an offer to play for a JC that he turned down and decided he was going to try to walk on at a pretty good D2 school this fall. Tried out and didn't make it. Coach basically said we need fast guys on the team. Slowest kid on the team ran a 7.2 60 and he is the 1st baseman. Didn't matter how good the kids hit or fielded, if they didn't run a good 60 time, they were ruled out. Coach said they were looking for guys who could go from 1st to 3rd on a single or 1st to home on a double. Even the big guys.

My family talked to a D2 school this weekend and the coach there was essentially saying the same thing. Their HR's were cut down in half from the year before due to the BBCOR situation. They are looking for guys who can run the bases. Not really pursuing the big slow guys. They are looking for the guys who can run the bases. If they can get a big guy, he better have some speed, both from the defensive side in being able to keep runs down as well as the offensive side in running the bases.

I'm not saying the big guys can't play, I'm just relaying what college coaches are now saying - and that is that speed is a premium. If you are big, you better be able to run as well. I would say that taking speed and agility lessons may be just as important as taking hitting lessons to play at the college level. Learn how to run a quick 60, it is the standard by which you will be measured, like it or not.

Couldn't agree more witht he speed and agility comment. If you find a good program it can shave a second or so off your time going to 1st. That is a HUGE difference.

Confidence is a huge thing for big kids that have it in their head that they cant make it 1st to 3rd on a single guess what? They won't even try, especially at the younger ages and many coaches don't push them to do it.

Baseball at the higher levels is a sport that defies most others. There are many "unathletic" players that make it to the top and many very athletic kids that don't.

I believe the difference is hard work. Speed and Agility training for the bigger kids, and reps, reps, reps (with GOOD coaches/trainers) for pitching, hitting and fielding for everyone really levels the playing field.
Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  09:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do so many people equate big kid to slow kid? I think out of shape kids are slow, not big kids. Sure some big kids are over weight and therefore, slow. I can see those kids getting to hide behind their bats at the younger ages. But some big kids are in great shape, train hard, and are just as fast on the bases as most of the smaller kids.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  10:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The issue is speed. Believe me, there are smaller kids that don't have speed either. They will struggle as much as the big kids. I don't think a college coach will want a slow small kid as much as he won't want a slow big kid. Doesn't always have to do with weight or being in shape.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  17:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The issue is speed. Believe me, there are smaller kids that don't have speed either. They will struggle as much as the big kids. I don't think a college coach will want a slow small kid as much as he won't want a slow big kid. Doesn't always have to do with weight or being in shape.

I have such a great story developing relative to all this. I'm going to deliver it complete with stats and facts in about 6 weeks. You guys keep talking about how you can't teach speed. Well, I don't see a whole lot of coaches able or willing to teach a fast kid how to hit. That's something the parents need to control by hiring a hitting coach. It won't magically happen via osmosis.
Go to Top of Page

Mike Corbin

523 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  18:08:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ever hear the saying "you can't steal first"?
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  19:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Corbin

Not on this forum until you said it. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  19:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rippit

quote:

I have such a great story developing relative to all this. I'm going to deliver it complete with stats and facts in about 6 weeks. You guys keep talking about how you can't teach speed. Well, I don't see a whole lot of coaches able or willing to teach a fast kid how to hit. That's something the parents need to control by hiring a hitting coach. It won't magically happen via osmosis.

Not sure who you're talking about, but I never said you can't teach speed. I'm sure there is a genetic limit to how fast someone can actually run, but you can train to get faster. There are techniques you can learn and many different ways to improve your times. In fact, I made a point of saying that taking a player to speed and agility sessions in addition to hitting was something everyone should consider.

quote:

Here's the problem with that. You will see as your kids get older, there are TONS of kids out there who can hit. When you start going to the Perfect Game showcases and tournaments, you will see all the kids that are trying to get to the next level. There are right around 200 teams in each of the 16, 17 and 18 under tournaments. 200 x 20 kids x 3 tournaments. That's in the neighborhood of 12,000 kids in these three tournaments alone trying to make it to the next level. Many, many more teams who do not attend these three events. The idea for these college coaches isn't to get kids who can hit. Their objective is to get kids who can hit and can run. They are out there. You really can't imagine how competitive the baseball world is.
Go to Top of Page

Mike Corbin

523 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  23:08:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know all about the numbers. I have a son who was in the 09 class and is currently playing college baseball. Among the training he did, he certainly did his share of speed training. We did that to try to get his 60 time down as close to 7 seconds as possible. No one will ever say that he is fast or runs well. I can assure you that he got to the next level because of his hitting, not his speed. Not that speed isn't important, but at the end of the day you have to hit the ball to play at the next level. If you can hit they will find a spot for you in the lineup.

Edited by - Mike Corbin on 09/20/2011 09:02:25
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  09:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know all about the numbers. I have a son who was in the 09 class and is currently playing college baseball. Among the training he did, he certainly did his share of speed training. We did that to try to get his 60 time down as close to 7 seconds as possible. No one will ever say that he is fast or runs well. I can assure you that he got to the next level because of his hitting, not his speed. Not that speed isn't important, but at the end of the day you have to hit the ball to play at the next level. If you can hit they will find a spot for you in the lineup.

First of all, congratulations to your son. It is an awesome accomplishment to be playing at the next level. Very few kids get the opportunity to do that.

Secondly, I think in '09, it was much more the case that speed was not as important. I think starting this year really, things have changed. My whole point on this issue is that because of the BBCOR bat, speed is becoming much more of an issue than it was even the year before last. Coaches can't count on the long ball anymore. They are realizing that they will need to rely more on small ball and speed. HR's were cut down in half across the board.

This is not coming from me and my unfounded opinions. This is coming from multiple college coaches I have talked to at the D1 and D2 level. I have also heard it from others in the recruiting process. Coaches are becoming much more picky about recruiting hitters who don't have good speed. I know for a certain D2 team, the slowest kid on the team runs a 7.2 60. He is their power hitting 1st baseman. 7.2 is not off the charts, but for a power hitting 1st baseman, it is pretty quick.

Not trying to dis you or anything Mike, but BBCOR has changed the way coaches are looking at things. I think you are going to have to hit AND run in the coming years.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Unless your son is a pitcher only, get him to some speed and agility classes. Get him trained on how to run a good 60 time. It will be very important.
Go to Top of Page

11UFAN

149 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2011 :  14:40:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think everyone makes a good point. No doubt bballman is on to something with the new bat requirements. Btw similar requirements are being pushed all the way down to 12U this Spring. I know coaches at all levels are thinking alot more about speed than they ever have before.

Having said that, I think Mike is right "If you can hit they will find a spot for you in the line up" even if you just have average speed. If you are a power hitter (ok so HR's are down because of new bats, Doubles still drive in more runs than singles) and have average speed you will more likely be playing than a fast kid that is an average hitter. JMO

If you are an overweight kid and/or slow then you probably wont be a very good hitter anyway, especially at the higher levels. If you are a fast kid and cant hit guess what? You probably won't be playing either.

Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2011 :  18:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's our opinion that some coached made an untested decision that bccor was going to limit everybody so they are only taking the fast kids. They might now be seeing that a double is a double. Bbcor scheemeebecore. Baseball is gonna be real boring with 9 guys only bunting. If you could steal first it would just be a track meet!
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2011 :  20:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think what you want Rippit. This is not one coaches opinion. This coming from many coaches at every level from HS thru D1 colleges. Yes, you need to hit. No one is saying that you don't. What they are saying is that you have to hit and have speed because there just aren't that many balls going out of the park anymore. A double may be a double on a gapped hit to the fence, but can a guy go from 1st to 3rd on a single? That's what coaches are looking for.

No one said anything about 9 guys bunting. I'm talking about guys being able to run and not just hit the ball over the wall. Like it or not, things are changing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000