Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NWBA Forums
 General Discussion
 Dumb baseball Mom has embarrassing question (cup)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  16:30:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
14u kid runs faster not wearing a cup. Corner player who isn't the slowest, but a half second wouldn't hurt either. Do older players continue to wear cups? What positions stop wearing them? Seems like nobody would want to have one on when diving. Help me out!

RACGOFAR

208 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  16:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you see more outfielders not wearing them as you get older. personally, I think they should all wear one. Infielders are subject to more bad hops, especially at the corners. Pitchers and catchers, no explanation needed. Wearing it while batting or running time trials at tryouts, heck if it boosts his confidence and he thinks he can run faster without it, then he probably will.

In baseball more than any other sport, if a player thinks he can or can't-- he's usually right.
Go to Top of Page

gamefanatic

40 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  16:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My personal opinion is that all players should wear cups - they play differently when they do not have cups on. We've been on teams where cups were required and the boys were fearless in stopping the balls at any cost. We've been on teams where only the catcher had to wear them and even then, a couple of the boys came into catch without them on (dumb yes.) Discipline of the coach. However, as parents, we could really tell who didn't have them on. Infielders turned to the side to keep the ball out of the outfield instead of squaring up and letting the ball ride up them. IMHO better players will wear cups - football players do! Maybe make sure the cup isn't too small!

Go to Top of Page

christheump

351 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  16:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My oldest didnt wear one throughout HS in outfield.
Go to Top of Page

justwin1

14 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  17:38:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Running fast or having children...you make the call. My 2cents is ALWAYS wear them even if only coaching 3rd base!!
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  17:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never. Ever. Shouldn't walk on the field without one. Ever.

Especially if he plays one of the corners.

Never.
Go to Top of Page

Zcoach

151 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  18:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will only take one shot to change his mind. Practice as you play.

Besides then how will his coach answer the eternal question:

"Are your players properly equipped?"

To the best of my knowledge.

P.S.- Some parks (Rec Ball) mandate that you wear a cup.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  18:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son pitches and plays MIF, sometimes 3rd. Always wears one. He plays varsity HS and 17u summer ball.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  19:36:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all! Yes, rec did require a cup beginning at some point in time which is why we continued the tradition. And I would like grandchildren one day so point well received. I guess it's Time for a quick change lesson. Cup in for defense. Cup out for offense. There is a joke in there somewhere but I digress.

There is a bit I saw on you tube from the early 80's where a stand up did a bit that included references to cups.

"it ain't no Dixie cup and it ain't no coffee mug and you sho don't wanna be drinkin' nuttin' outta it. "

LMAO!!!
Go to Top of Page

snappy

33 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  21:57:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son would complain about wearing his cup. Not all of the time but enough times for me to say you have to be protected in that particular area. He hasn't complained since he took a hard ground ball 2 years ago while playing second base that was on him in a split second and a nasty hop found it's way to the cup. Loud thud! He still went to the ground because it still hurt but I think it scared him mostly. Scared dear ol' dad as well. Anyway, his cup is just as much a part of his uniform as his jersey, pants and hat. He doesn't step on the diamond w/o it. Uncomfortable? Sure, but it certainly beats the alternative.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  22:12:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rippit
Cup out for offense.

Not even then. Those foul tips and bad pitches take some weird hops. Not to mention the catchers are not exactly Brian McCann.

Never. Ever.
Go to Top of Page

smg

8 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  22:19:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should be worn batting as well. Witnessed first-hand a LH batter take a direct shot from a RH breaking ball! By the time EMS cut his clothes off, swelling of testicle to size of softball and unfortunately he lost it, but eventually had two children. Bottom line a cup should be worn at ALL times on the field.
Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  22:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rippit

14u kid runs faster not wearing a cup. Corner player who isn't the slowest, but a half second wouldn't hurt either. Do older players continue to wear cups? What positions stop wearing them? Seems like nobody would want to have one on when diving. Help me out!

Make sure you take a sharpy and write on his cup XXL...makes the kids feel good about themselves. Heck, I drew a face on my sons cup just to get him to wear one so it would be fun ! Better safe than sorry.
Go to Top of Page

cmoncoach

29 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  22:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember last year, Carl Crawford got hit in that particular area just getting back to first base, on a pickoff throw. I don't know if he had a cup on, but he fell to the ground in less than a second. Crazy things can happen, so ALWAYS wear a cup.
Go to Top of Page

With-a-stick

33 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  22:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here you go, don't know why this is even a question? Is there a choice? I can't tell if a player is wearing a cup but I can certainly tell if he's not wearing one. Ole. Faster without one, what kind of trade would that be for a player? Won't turn a single into a double so what's the point! Work harder, hit it deeper. My more colorful friends say it's natural selection calling.
Go to Top of Page

bbmom2

119 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  08:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want grandkids - my son wears a cup - all positions - no questions asked. For him, it's just as natural as putting on his baseball pants. If the players on the team do not wear cups, to him, they are not real baseball players and they should not be there. Yes - he's 110% into baseball and takes it very seriously.
Go to Top of Page

ramman999

241 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  10:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is a fit thing - I grew up with coaches who didn't require it on anyone but the catcher, and played through high school without one. Played 1st, P and center.. Took a few glancing shots, but I was lucky to not get hurt. When I tried to wear one, I could just not get used to it. Didn't wear one for soccer either.

My son has been wearing one since he was 4 - I never gave him the choice I had - I've coached him off and on since tee ball and my team rule was always no cup, no play no exceptions....

He is now 11 and says it feels weird even taking batting practice without one.
Go to Top of Page

BeanerBALL

9 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2011 :  20:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After my son took a hard grounded to the cup region. His coach told my wife that little Johnny was wearing his cup up side down. Coach said Johnny's cup should have the pointed end pointing up. What a joke.
Go to Top of Page

blowinsmoke

61 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2011 :  10:56:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son loves wearing his so much that i have to make sure that he isnt wearing it to school , he just started 7th grade and he is very proud
Go to Top of Page

Panther Baseball

10 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2011 :  12:18:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don's assume because your son doesn't play infield that he doesn't need one. Quick story...playing ball with best friend in rec ball back in 80's...he went to steal second base, he slid, throw from catcher hit him square in the...area where the cup should have been!!! Played rest of game but had to go that night to have surgery to remove one.

If you want grandchildren, make it part of your son's uniform from day 1. My son has worn one for 12 years now, he doesn't even think about it.

Edited by - Panther Baseball on 08/23/2011 14:35:23
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2011 :  12:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wearing a cup to school in 7th grade would have saved me alot of embarassing walks to the pencil sharpener

quote:
Originally posted by blowinsmoke

My son loves wearing his so much that i have to make sure that he isnt wearing it to school , he just started 7th grade and he is very proud

Edited by - in_the_know on 08/23/2011 14:35:23
Go to Top of Page

Peanutsr

171 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2011 :  14:48:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say, one of the many proud moments I have been fortunate enough to experience in my son's baseball career involved this very subject.
My son was trying out for a new team that was looking to pick up a couple of players. I was standing by the fence chatting with a couple of the dads whose kids were on the team. Son came in from doing outfield drills, ran by the fence where I was standing (amongst the other dads) and as he passed by , while adjusting his cup and as serious as he could be, said, " On the way home we need to stop and buy me a bigger cup." never missing a stride.
Go to Top of Page

bbmom2

119 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2011 :  18:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cup envy.
Go to Top of Page

Jacked-up

59 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2011 :  23:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand why and my kid does,,,,but besides the pain and rare serious injury, can someone provide real stats on how many kids went sterile because of baseball to the testicles? Martial artist build tolerance by repeated hits intentionally that results in no pain by direct intense kicks... We got varied reports on curve balls impact to the pitchers,,,never seen one for cups...facts please
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2011 :  13:02:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you really need a study? Sterile or not, let someone kick you in the cherries without a cup and get back with us on whether you think you'd like a study to validate if it's a good idea to wear one.

quote:
Originally posted by Jacked-up

I understand why and my kid does,,,,but besides the pain and rare serious injury, can someone provide real stats on how many kids went sterile because of baseball to the testicles? Martial artist build tolerance by repeated hits intentionally that results in no pain by direct intense kicks... We got varied reports on curve balls impact to the pitchers,,,never seen one for cups...facts please

Go to Top of Page

wareagle

324 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2011 :  15:35:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Martial artist build tolerance by repeated hits intentionally
quote:

I knew there was a reason that I didn't take karate!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000