Little League WS players?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

263 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  10:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious about the team from Georgia that is representing the Southeast this year. Is that team a group of kids from 1 area, around the state, or a couple of travel teams put together? What kids should we watch as leaders on the team? I'm pretty sure tonight is the first round game of Southeast vs. Southwest at 8pm on ESPN and espn3.com.

SSBuckeye

575 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  10:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here you go....

http://www.nwgabaseball.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16783
Go to Top of Page

263 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  11:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks SSB! I'd say another example of talent in GA!!
Go to Top of Page

HITANDRUN

436 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  16:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard some of the better teams take advantage of the Army Bases and can manipulate to get teams stronger?
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  20:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HITANDRUN

I heard some of the better teams take advantage of the Army Bases and can manipulate to get teams stronger?

I haven't been paying attention. Is that what the Georgia team does w/WR AFB? Are there other "base" based teams in the LLWS?

With all the talk about the quality of play, the only name I really remember is Kyle Carter. He seems to be holding his own.

Perfect Game says he is throwing upper 80's. According to this board, that is seen regularly at 13 and 14.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  22:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah. East Marietta and dobbins afb.
Go to Top of Page

HITANDRUN

436 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  11:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wrote this as a question so I don't know.
Fort Benning in Columbus? Warner Robbins AFB? I heard a team years ago form Saudi Arabia used kids from all over that parents were stationed there. I don't know though.
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

421 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  13:05:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
watching 12yr olds playing a sandbox size field is ridiculous at best
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  17:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by teddy41

Same fence distance as Cooperstown, right?

No lead offs. Smaller field dimensions. Do not like.

Putting 12 year-old baseball tournament on national TV is ridiculous to start with.
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  19:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not quite. Fences are 225 (200 at Cooperstown).

Major dimension differences between travel 12u and LL are distance from mound to plate (46 ft) which is the same distance as 10u travel ball and distance between bases (60 ft) which is also same as 10u travel.

Add in the "no leadoffs" and it is quite ridiculous for kids that age.

quote:
Originally posted by AllStar

quote:
Originally posted by teddy41

Same fence distance as Cooperstown, right?

No lead offs. Smaller field dimensions. Do not like.

Putting 12 year-old baseball tournament on national TV is ridiculous to start with.

Go to Top of Page

Mookie

12 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  23:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
60' bases are actually used at 8U. 9U and 10U use 65' bases.

In summary, LL uses 10U pitching mound and 8U bases which makes for a relatively small sandbox.

quote:
Originally posted by in_the_know

Not quite. Fences are 225 (200 at Cooperstown).

Major dimension differences between travel 12u and LL are distance from mound to plate (46 ft) which is the same distance as 10u travel ball and distance between bases (60 ft) which is also same as 10u travel.

Edited by - Mookie on 08/20/2011 08:15:39
Go to Top of Page

With-a-stick

33 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  10:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This year is the first year with the 225 ft field. When there was no widely available alternative for youth baseball ( when I was growing up there was one team in town and it was LL ) it drew the best talent together. In the past 10 years at least it's split off to be somewhat of a side show. Now the best talent stays away because of the restrictive rules and its deviation from purer forms of baseball. I don't think it does any favors to the players with keeping them on the small field for so long, forcing the no lead off etc... It's what cheese food is to real cheese. And only slightly interesting to watch if you haven't a clue what 12 year olds are capable of when allowed to really play on a field suited to their size and ability.

I also say good, it's on TV. I watch it and cheer GA teams when they're on. But then I also like watching HS and College over MLB play. Something about unpredictable performance makes it more interesting. Some might argue the MLB is fun to watch for the same reason! Good amateur competition is just more fun for me to watch.
Go to Top of Page

T13

257 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  17:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
41,000 people at a little league world series game, you wont see that at any travel game.....little league or travel rules its all the same, most of the good players adjust as they mature.....some of you are too busy rushing your child to the pros...let them enjoy the game....
Go to Top of Page

baserunner

115 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  20:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heck, most MLB teams would be happy to get 41,000 in the stands on any given night.
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

421 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  20:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
little league or travel rules its all the same

its all the same?? really?? so rules or dimensions dont matter?

why do they ever change them then
Go to Top of Page

T13

257 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  21:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Little league is tougher on the hitter because of the distance and bats....Travel is tougher on pitcher because 4 feet makes a big difference in reaction time for lower part of order able to get bat on ball......
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  22:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T13

41,000 people at a little league world series game, you wont see that at any travel game.....

...some of you are too busy rushing your child to the pros...let them enjoy the game....

well said

the only thing my son doesn't like is the no lead off rule

he also said given the choice, he would take Cooperstown over LLWS.

Your last sentence is dead on the $$.
Go to Top of Page

With-a-stick

33 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  22:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have MLB Network switch over to the Cal Ripkin World Series Sunday and watch the 12u game, a different game to watch! The contrast is startling from one to the other. CRWS is Babe Ruth league play and rules. I would agree, hitting a big 12u pitcher from 46 would be scary. Worse would be pitching to some of these boys from 46.... without a screen I am not facing our 12u's.
MLB Network - -
2:00 p.m. Ripken World Series World Championship The Cal Ripken World Series is the culminating tournament of the Babe Ruth League's 12U Cal Ripken Division. The World Championship from Ripken Academy in Aberdeen, Md.
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  22:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually they moved the fences from 205 to 225 in 2006.

quote:
Originally posted by With-a-stick

This year is the first year with the 225 ft field. When there was no widely available alternative for youth baseball ( when I was growing up there was one team in town and it was LL ) it drew the best talent together. In the past 10 years at least it's split off to be somewhat of a side show. Now the best talent stays away because of the restrictive rules and its deviation from purer forms of baseball. I don't think it does any favors to the players with keeping them on the small field for so long, forcing the no lead off etc... It's what cheese food is to real cheese. And only slightly interesting to watch if you haven't a clue what 12 year olds are capable of when allowed to really play on a field suited to their size and ability.

I also say good, it's on TV. I watch it and cheer GA teams when they're on. But then I also like watching HS and College over MLB play. Something about unpredictable performance makes it more interesting. Some might argue the MLB is fun to watch for the same reason! Good amateur competition is just more fun for me to watch.

Go to Top of Page

Cardsfan17

24 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2011 :  00:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's always fun to read the debates about LL vs travel ball. In fairness, my kid plays both so I'm not taking sides. The simple fact is the rules are so different that they shouldn't be compared. To answer some of the questions from above...the team from WRALL all live within the local area. Several of them play travel ball for local teams but there arent many base kids on the team that Im aware of. Robins AFB is here and those kids are welcome to play at WRALL, but they have their own league on base so most don't play with us. A lot of military bases are moving to little league type play so that the kids can play all stars...much like Saudi did a while back. It's a little late to answer the question about which kids to watch since they have already played 2 games on tv, but Fromm and Arnett will both stand out on the mound and at the plate.
Go to Top of Page

dogatbat

45 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2011 :  06:18:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After watching the SE Regionals and the LL WS so far, I am confused as to why #25 does not ever enter the game for Ga. I thought all players played at least 3 outs and 1 at bat. Am I missing something?
Go to Top of Page

Cardsfan17

24 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2011 :  08:23:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have the player numbers in front of me, but my guess is that you're talking about a player injured way back in district (broken bone in his hand) and hasnt touched the field since. He's a great kid and Im glad he still got to go to the LLWS but can't imagine the medical staff clearing him to play. They have had a couple of freak injuries so far but with 14 players they won't have a problem fielding a team.
Go to Top of Page

21BS21

28 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2011 :  14:34:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO, if they allowed the boys to lead off in LL it would slow the game way down. We have all been at games with a pitcher being more interested in the runners than throwing the ball to the plate. With throw after throw to 1st base, people would be changing to another channel. I know I would.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2011 :  20:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Say what you want, the Braves announcers were just talking about the kid from WR. I've never heard them talk about a 12 year-old travel ball player.

Edited by - AllStar on 08/24/2011 18:30:43
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2011 :  19:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the Braves announcers got up off their rumps and quit talking so much and do some looking and watch a few travel ball games they would be talking about travel baseball instead of LL. If the same announcers watched MBA vs. Bandits, Canes vs. Dirtbags, or Team Florida vs. San Diego Stars or even a game or two at East Cobb they would never go back to LL. The difference and it's a huge difference is that LL has the National TV package that nobody else has. I think LL is a much inferior brand of team (due to roster restrictions) but I watch every game because it is on TV and easy to watch and I would rather watch the kids play over a major league game.
Go to Top of Page

T13

257 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2011 :  00:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Little league is much more exciting......kind of like going to a Yankees/red six game vs, a braves marlin game ......the atmosphere of little league world series will never be topped.......and the bandits would struggle hitting from 46!....its a different game
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000