General Discussion
 What would you do?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jakespop

19 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  14:22:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
11U Son has been offered position on 2 teams. This is our first experience jumping to travel ball so wanted to pose this question.
Son has speed, fast hands and can play multiple positions (primarily 3rd, SS and 2B)

Team 1:
AAA Level team. Excellent, excellent Coaches. Great reputation, Positive Coaching Alliance proven. Team is made up of very talented kids will be extremely competitive and go far. Son would be used primarily as an outfielder and utility backup.

Team 2 AA Team in 2nd year. Excellent coaches, I love their coaching philosophy to develop fundamental skills for all kids. Team makeup is mixed skill set but by end of year, they should be competitive but it will be a growing process. Son will be used as starting infielder.

So the question is: Would you sacrifice playing time for superior coaching?
Or start at lower level and hope the playing time builds his skill set and confidence?

Our decision has already been made but I wanted to know which team would you choose for your son and why?

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  14:56:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jakespop

11U Son has been offered position on 2 teams. This is our first experience jumping to travel ball so wanted to pose this question.
Son has speed, fast hands and can play multiple positions (primarily 3rd, SS and 2B)

Team 1:
AAA Level team. Excellent, excellent Coaches. Great reputation, Positive Coaching Alliance proven. Team is made up of very talented kids will be extremely competitive and go far. Son would be used primarily as an outfielder and utility backup.

Team 2 AA Team in 2nd year. Excellent coaches, I love their coaching philosophy to develop fundamental skills for all kids. Team makeup is mixed skill set but by end of year, they should be competitive but it will be a growing process. Son will be used as starting infielder.

So the question is: Would you sacrifice playing time for superior coaching?
Or start at lower level and hope the playing time builds his skill set and confidence?

Our decision has already been made but I wanted to know which team would you choose for your son and why?

At 11 I would go with where he is going to get playing time at the positions he wants to play, so I guess that would be the AA team with upside.

Some players might say they would rather play outfield with the stronger team. At 11 I would think that would be a minority of the players, but there would be some. Maybe even your son.

Does he pitch, or want to pitch?
Go to Top of Page

4thecycle

6 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  15:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Team 1.
Your concern was playing time but under team 1 you did not say he would not get playing time, just that he would primarily be used as an outfielder. At 11U+ kids begin to realize how vital the outfield is. My son always played 1B but last year was used as CF and now I can't get him back in the infield. He loves learning the outfield and the number of plays he was involved in, really opened his eyes.
You say your son has speed, fast hands and has played multiple infield positions. If so, the coaches will see his athleticism and give him more time than you think. Everything else you said about Team 1 was positive so I would go there.
Team 2- Your kid will get to stay in the infield, where he has always played, and will be the stud but if he doesn't have to work "that" hard at being the stud and he has little competition pushing him to be better than what satisfaction is there really.
Get your kid out of his comfort zone and expand his knowledge of every position and how the game is played from every angle and you've done him a good service.
Go to Top of Page

T13

257 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  22:41:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Play where he feels most comfortable and let him enjoy playing the position he wants at this age (enjoying the game is more important at this age).....too many people on this board have illusions that their son is the next hall of famer. Most of us who post on this board will tell you their greatest memories are from our experiences playing youth baseball, football, etc. (more than likely eating ice cream with our friends after the game) not our years in high school, college, or even professional sports.
Go to Top of Page

touchemall

145 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  23:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just dOnt commit to one and then back out for the other. Be honest with both and don't dangle your kid like a piece of meat.
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  00:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A coach from the 11U board made a statement a few months ago that I keep coming back too.....Little Johnny goes to HS and the coach says, "hey kid, where do you play?"...Kid responds, "I play shortstop coach..."....That boy should hope he is the only SS or the best SS, which is unlikely as a freshman. In another scenario the other little Johnny is asked the same question and he says, "Coach I have played all the OF positions and all the IF positions except for 1b....and honestly I've never really ever caught either" High school coaches only select a few freshman if any for the varsity roster, and unless you are a legit prospect at 14(which is totally possible just look at the 14U Astros or Roadrunner) a coach is probably going to select the most versatile player he has to choose from.
Go to Top of Page

ramman999

241 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  08:32:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been in the same situation you are now going through, with both my children at one point or another - with my daughter, I went team 2, with my son team 1. Looking back with my daughter, she needed the "big fish, small pond" situation for her confidence, but I also watched her regress, although she started 3B the entire time. With my son he went from a bottom 4 player to top 5 player on team 1, plus played all 9 positions at one point or another. At the end of the day, only you know your son and what he is cable of handling from an ego standpoint. Each players psyche is different.

If playing time/positioning is both his and your biggest goal (and there is nothing wrong with this), let him play B but understand, he will probably get bored rather quickly if the team doesn't progress as quickly as you'd like - you mention fundamental skill developmental as a focus of this group - What I would expect on a well coached team is that the instruction is geared towards the weakest player - on a weak team it would feel remedial, and on a strong team, it should prove challenging.. But the game experience will help tremendously - you can't simulate game experience - there is a learning curve and adjustment period for players transitioning to travel ball - the speed of the game is far quicker than in rec ball, so he will need some time to adjust.

If development is your goal and he is willing to sacrifice, chose #1. If he possesses the skills you say he has (speed, hands) and the flexibility of playing multiple positions, while you might have identified him as playing outfield, there is no reason to say he would stay there - at some point the SS is coming in to pitch, as is the rest of the infield. The competitive nature of a strong group will drive him to be a better player, the instruction should be advanced, and the fact he will not be that starting middle infielder coming in might take some of the pressure off of him as well.

Whichever way you decide to go, good luck!!
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  14:24:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let him play where he gets playing time. Playing OF only at 11 sucks. Sitting out sucks if he is better than some of the players. Let him play where he can have fun and love the game and enjoy the game soon enough he will have to play OF only or sit some.
Go to Top of Page

whits23

596 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  15:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what if high school coach says where do you play and the kid says you will find a spot cause i can hit the crap out of the ball...you pick it
Go to Top of Page

Sweetspot

10 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  15:26:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which way did you end up going?
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  23:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whits23

what if high school coach says where do you play and the kid says you will find a spot cause i can hit the crap out of the ball...you pick it

This is my favorite thing I have ever read on here.....Love the boys with confidence!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000