New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

silverton

4 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  20:16:10  Show Profile
I see that Georgia is being represented by a team from Warner Robins this year for regional Little League tournament. Winner of the tournament goes to World Series.

Does anyone know the history of this team and if they have been playing anywhere else?

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  22:32:06  Show Profile
Yeah. The smaller towns have kids that can play travel and ll at the same time. The ll chooses all-stars and this group is that. Two other good teams at the state tourney were Madison county and Columbus. Some of these 12 year olds are over 6 feet tall. They hit 325' and are overpowering on the mound from 46'.
Go to Top of Page

silverton

4 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  16:47:31  Show Profile
have these kids from Warner Robins been playing under any other different team names in other tournaments? Just trying to get an understanding of how they compare to other travel teams.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  18:37:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by silverton

have these kids from Warner Robins been playing under any other different team names in other tournaments? Just trying to get an understanding of how they compare to other travel teams.

Can you find a roster of names? Then u-trip search the names? That might help.
Go to Top of Page

BTO

97 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  20:38:14  Show Profile
I am making a guess...this team has to have some of the HOCO Cubs kids. They had some really talented kids and they quit playing up in North Ga. mighty early in the year. I assumed they all went back to get ready for their run @ the 12u Little League World Series.

If this team has some of the Hoco Kids they will be top level kids. Who ever they are good luck....
Go to Top of Page

baseball papa

123 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  21:45:46  Show Profile
If they are from Georgia and playing by the rules then Papa will be pulling for them. I have already read in the newspapers that 2 Little League regional winners were disqualified for improper birth certificates or unqualified players. I don't know if what I read in the paper was true but I did read it.
Go to Top of Page

fourseam

162 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  23:48:38  Show Profile
Check out http://www.wrall.org/allstars.php and then check out triple threat baseball 12aaa team
Go to Top of Page

silverton

4 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  00:01:04  Show Profile
Found their lineup...they are a mixture of HoCo Cubs, Warner Robins Krew, and some 11 year olds from Middle Georgia Moccasins
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  00:53:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by baseball papa

If they are from Georgia and playing by the rules then Papa will be pulling for them. I have already read in the newspapers that 2 Little League regional winners were disqualified for improper birth certificates or unqualified players. I don't know if what I read in the paper was true but I did read it.

That is the new way to do it Papa!! Get some 14yr old boys to play against 12U kids.....Surefire way to win and get the trophy!!
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  07:40:43  Show Profile
http://www.usssa.com/sports/viewteamhistory.asp?CurrentSeasonOnly=1&teamid=1648224

Triple Threat Baseball surfaced in June playing some USSSA ball. They were disqualified at the State qualifier, and all their games were forfeited. I cant recall why. it might have been because they had roster violations or didn't play the required number of USSSA events prior to entering State play. Just 2 guesses on my part.

Anyway, you can see their roster at the link above. Mostly HoCo Cubs.

I think most of these players will be on the Warner Robbins team.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  08:31:32  Show Profile
quote:

What are the rules? (besides age of course)
Go to Top of Page

baseball papa

123 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  10:38:20  Show Profile
The Bandits attempted to qualify for the Little League in their local LL jurisdiction and was willing to play LL in the local league but the way I understand it all the kids on the roster would have to have resided in that LL jurisdiction and several of our players did not qualify and we were told that we couldn't participate and that was the end of that. I also understand that some of the San Diego Stars players had actually moved into the area of the LL team that they were playing for so that they would meet the rules. They played the first game of the regionals and won and the opposing coach protested because of the Stars players. The protest was upheld as the rules stated that you could not move into the district just to play on the LL team. I understand that LL is quite strict on these rules but there will always someone that will try the ole smoke and mirror routine. The above statement about San Diego is just something I read on another site and have no first hand knowledge of what happened but I also read that the Stars organization was not involved and that it was just the parents decision to attempt to move into the area so they would be eligible.
Go to Top of Page

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  15:52:57  Show Profile
quote:

The Bandits attempted to qualify for the Little League in their local LL jurisdiction and was willing to play LL in the local league but the way I understand it all the kids on the roster would have to have resided in that LL jurisdiction and several of our players did not qualify and we were told that we couldn't participate and that was the end of that. I also understand that some of the San Diego Stars players had actually moved into the area of the LL team that they were playing for so that they would meet the rules. They played the first game of the regionals and won and the opposing coach protested because of the Stars players. The protest was upheld as the rules stated that you could not move into the district just to play on the LL team. I understand that LL is quite strict on these rules but there will always someone that will try the ole smoke and mirror routine. The above statement about San Diego is just something I read on another site and have no first hand knowledge of what happened but I also read that the Stars organization was not involved and that it was just the parents decision to attempt to move into the area so they would be eligible.

Papa is this other site a CA site that we may enjoy? url please sir?
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  15:48:15  Show Profile
Drove down to Warner Robbins this morning (Saturday) to watch Georgia beat Alabama 7-6 in a very close and exciting game. The 2 year old Stadium was impressive, and it was packed to capacity by 9:30 for the 10 am game. Free parking, shuttle, and entry! ~4,000 spectators. Picked up an official program which included rosters.

Here's the USSSA travel teams these boys also played for:
11U AA GA Bandits
11U Middle GA Moccasins
11U Diamond Dominators
12U Triple Threat Baseball
12U HoCo Cubs
12U Warner Robbins Krew
2 boys didnt show up on USSSA at all

Best player played for HoCo Cubs and Triple Threat Baseball. He pitched (~70 mph, average control), played Short Stop, and hit a go ahead and game winning 3 run Homer in the the top of the 6th.

From that mound distance, 70+ mph is not hittable for for about 1/3rd of the players. Only the oldest/biggest/strongest boys, or kids with very quick hands into the hit area can catch up to it.

Closed bases, tiny diamond, ~200' fence. Very entertaining to watch, and worth the 2 hour drive.

If you go, bring a chair, umbrella for shade or temp tent, no coolers allowed. The amount of shade in the stands is limited, and you have to get there very early to land one of those coveted seats.

Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  17:49:25  Show Profile
Moser: one also played some with xroads xpress 13u. Good pitcher.
Go to Top of Page

one in the wagon

36 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  22:57:45  Show Profile
This kid pitched against us (lightning)In the AAA state tournament he was impressive
quote:
Originally posted by bmoser

Drove down to Warner Robbins this morning (Saturday) to watch Georgia beat Alabama 7-6 in a very close and exciting game. The 2 year old Stadium was impressive, and it was packed to capacity by 9:30 for the 10 am game. Free parking, shuttle, and entry! ~4,000 spectators. Picked up an official program which included rosters.

Here's the USSSA travel teams these boys also played for:
11U AA GA Bandits
11U Middle GA Moccasins
11U Diamond Dominators
12U Triple Threat Baseball
12U HoCo Cubs
12U Warner Robbins Krew
2 boys didnt show up on USSSA at all

Best player played for HoCo Cubs and Triple Threat Baseball. He pitched (~70 mph, average control), played Short Stop, and hit a go ahead and game winning 3 run Homer in the the top of the 6th.

From that mound distance, 70+ mph is not hittable for for about 1/3rd of the players. Only the oldest/biggest/strongest boys, or kids with very quick hands into the hit area can catch up to it.

Closed bases, tiny diamond, ~200' fence. Very entertaining to watch, and worth the 2 hour drive.

If you go, bring a chair, umbrella for shade or temp tent, no coolers allowed. The amount of shade in the stands is limited, and you have to get there very early to land one of those coveted seats.

Go to Top of Page

vols

14 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  00:31:32  Show Profile
A player has to live inside the league boundries before Feb 1st of the yr they are playing and have multiple proof of residencies. If you have never seen the type of teams that are playing at the regionals it is very good baseball and prettty much major level type teams. And most of the teams that get that far do have a majority of kids who play travel ball although maybe not for same team as you are not supposed to have your team picked before June.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  09:04:09  Show Profile
vols:
I'd say its mid-to-high AAA ball depending upon whether its a top LL playoff team (like Georgia or Florida), or bottom (South Carolina).

Each team has ~2-4 Major players who are carrying most of the load. These boys are almost always pitching, catching, playing SS, batting in top 4.

Then, there are ~4-6 AAA caliber players who get some time in the limelight.

Lastly, and here's the big difference, there are ~3-4 11U or 12U AA players who couldn't make Georgia's Major teams. These boys are almost all outfielders that come into the game as subs, or to run.

I think having 11's, 12U AA, AAA, & Majors on each team makes it more interesting...and unpredictable. I do worry about injury though with this wide of an age/skill/size gap facing off at close range. The bottom 3-4 boys are tough little hombre's to hit against older/bigger/stronger boys throwing 70 mph from 46 feet.

I wish our Warner Robbins boys all the best this week, but my prediction is that Florida will be representing the Southeast this year. I hope I'm wrong.

Go to Top of Page

sportsman

37 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  11:12:59  Show Profile
Great update Moser, it must have been fun. It might be time for ESPN to do away with LL and cover travel ball because what they are doing right now is just inviting cheating with kids moving into areas or renting homes. People will do a lot of things to get their son exposure. You will always have the birth certificate issue but the redistricting thing is yet another issue in LL.
Go to Top of Page

vols

14 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  08:16:48  Show Profile
Bmoser. I agree that there is usually a bigger difference between the top players and the bottom part of the lineup and especially the reserves. In that regard you may be correct about them being closer to aaa teams. Also they may not be as deep at pitcher although that may be open to debate because little league does do more to protect arms of the pitchers. Definately only the top teams would be considered by me to be major level especially by georgia major travel team standards.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  09:41:17  Show Profile
I guessed 4000 fans watched GA vs. AL...it was 6200! Not sure how they count since no tickets are sold/issued.

More games begin today, and GA (2-0) takes on North Carolina (1-1) 7 PM tonight (Monday). After today's games, 4 of the 8 teams will be eliminated from advancing.

Crunch time is Wednesday when the Semi's begin. Those 2 games will be Televised by ESPN. 1 PM and 7 PM start times.

http://www.littleleague.org/worldseries/index.html

Click on World Series, then click on Southeast to see game details.

They have box scores from prior games so you can see who the Major caliber players are to watch for.

Go to Top of Page

baseball papa

123 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  10:38:09  Show Profile
With all of the elite talent that we have in the Atlanta, East Cobb area why can we not put together a team that should be dominant in the Little League format. What rule does Little League have that keeps this team from happening.
Go to Top of Page

mlbscout

77 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  11:19:59  Show Profile

Georgia has had several teams in the southeast regionals and a few at the world series in Williamsport. The rules state that the all-star team has to be made up of kids who live within the established boundaries for that particular league, played over 50% of the rec games for that league, and made the all-star team. The trick is to get all the elite players who legally live within the boundaries of a little league association and have them enroll and play the recball Spring season at that park. Once they make the all-star team, all they have to do is win the district, section, state and regional. Once they do that, they earn a trip to williamsport. As simple as that!

quote:

With all of the elite talent that we have in the Atlanta, East Cobb area why can we not put together a team that should be dominant in the Little League format. What rule does Little League have that keeps this team from happening.

Go to Top of Page

baseball papa

123 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  12:51:21  Show Profile
Would anyone have a guess as to what percentage of players at the final group in Williamsport come from elite travel ball. Is there only a few or is there is more than we imagine.
Go to Top of Page

mlbscout

77 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  13:50:10  Show Profile

I would guess that every team has at least 2 "elite travel ball players". Since there are 16 teams with an average of 12 players/team = 192. Thirty-two of 192 = 16.7%. Rounding would make it 20%. So a good guess would be that 1 of every 5 play or could play on an elite travel team.

quote:

Would anyone have a guess as to what percentage of players at the final group in Williamsport come from elite travel ball. Is there only a few or is there is more than we imagine.

Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  14:31:09  Show Profile
What would be the point? Frankly, who would care? Playing the distances at 12u for LL does nothing to REALLY prepare these kids for high school in the area. Sure, this could be done, but it's alot of effort and money to win a trophy playing at 10u distances, with no lead-off/pick-off. Seems a bit silly just to get on TV.

I'm much happier with my son playing on the larger field, against more elite talent and pushing himself to be a stronger, better player which is what is needed just to make your HS team in these parts. Other than Danny Almonte, anyone remember any names from any of the LLWS teams from the past 10 years? And his is not remembered in any way we'd want our boys known.

quote:

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000