Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NWBA Forums
 General Discussion
 Really? Is this what we are teaching our kids?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

coachtony

236 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  21:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=207437

It's a sad, sad day for youth baseball.

--T

snappy

33 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  22:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Little league ball can bring out the best and worst in parents. I've said it for years after watching some of the things that have gone on at various parks. Every single one of us is guilty at some point of calling the umpire out for a bad call or a missed strike or what should of been a ball but we all need to remember that the adults set the example. Sure we don't always get the best umpires out there, or so it may seem that way, but they are human just like the rest of us and they are trying to the best of their capabilities. It's easy for parents and fans to sit on the outside making remarks to the blue's but let's see how they do on the inside and give the umpires a chair behind the back stop. I bet the parents wouldn't complain again. Well, at least not as much. How can we discipline our children when we (parents/coaches) are laying the groundwork to disrespect authority on something as simple as a baseball field. I had to give myself a wake up call and come to the realization that if the worst thing in my life is a bad call on the baseball diamond, then my life is great. I agree coachtony, sad day. It's something watching the dad in the interview defending his actions. I understand protecting your own but come on, punching a kid. I think he could of got between them and broke it up rather than putting a kid in the hospital. All that mess over a bad call. SAD!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

bbmom2

119 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  15:35:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree. We as parents should set the example. I get tired of parents yelling from the stands "I got it!" and "throw home" and this was in 14U! It's one thing to applaud and gently heckle the umpire (there is a line to cross - we all know what it is...) but let it go! I would love to see something from all parents and coaches on this forum make a pledge that we will not stoop to that kind of behavior. Unfortunately it's out there in our area. If Umps would call verbal obstruction, it would stop. I'm sure the more informed on this site will keep me straight but I believe that verbal obstruction is a call according to High School rules... is it not?

Also, when we played in Cooperstown last year - we played 2 teams from Colorado. I've never seen such bad behavior from a group of parents and coaches. Sitting in the parents section next to one of the Colorado 3rd base coaches, I was ready to jump him after the game. Thankfully, we came from behind and won the game and shut them up but still...rude, rude people.... This story is not surprising considering the example we saw.
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  19:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We guest played for a team this past week and the opposing parents were chanting "Longhorn Baseball" for our regular team.....Every week I hear someone whistle during a pitchers delivery or scream balk...The occasional "DROP IT!!" from the stands is not as rare as it used to be. It is rare to see kids causing any kind of noise to confuse or distract the other team. In all fairness to the umpires regarding "verbal obstruction" they very rarely get all the baseball rules right and that is just one more thing to confuse them!! The longer we are around travel baseball the happier I am whenever we get a good consistent knowledgeable umpire, it is easier to appreciate at least consistent officiating. Last week as the Grand Slam World Series we had the absolute worst umpire I've ever seen on Tuesday and the best I've ever seen Saturday!!! Still can't believe adults would fistfight the other team over a bad call, not sure the opposing team has anything to do with that??

Edited by - Spartan4 on 07/13/2011 07:26:09
Go to Top of Page

PerfectGame

55 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  20:55:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think everybody should try an experiment this year. No matter what the "other team" says to you, your kid, the umps, your coaches ... no matter what they do or how they behave. Simply rise above it. Don't engage in the same behavior. Ignore it and teach your children to ignore it. Bad calls? It happens. Deal with it and move on. Teams that play dirty? They won't be able to get by with that for too long. Again, deal with it and move on. Don't add fuel to the fire. These are KIDS playing a GAME! Too often parents make it all about them instead of their kids. That is what happened in this news story. It wasn't the kids worried about the bad call ... it was the parents. They didn't want to lose to the other team. I mean, really? A Mom was headed over to complain to the director about a bad call? Wow.

It's baseball. Somebody wins, somebody loses. Period. You have to be able to do both with grace and dignity no matter what the circumstances are.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000