General Discussion
 Fall Rec Ball? vs. Soccer?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rustybucket

67 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2011 :  10:46:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just found a fall ball rec league near us. We were planning to play soccer in the fall. There's no way we could do both. There's a winter soccer league that wouldn't conflict with spring baseball, but he also wants to play basketball, which it would conflict with....

I guess, my question is how do you decide which sports your kids play? If it were up to him he would do ALL the sports, it wouldn't matter if they happened at the same time. But at age 7 we can't allow multiple sports at the same time.

We were thinking of leaving the entire decision up to him, but being that baseball season is just ending down here and that's what's in his head still I'm almost positive he will choose baseball over soccer. Now for the winter sport I'm not sure if he'll choose basketball or soccer.

That being said, although he's a great basketball player at the youth level, he will never have a future in basketball b/c of height. He is great at soccer and I would rank baseball and soccer as his two top sports as he consistently excels and LOVES them both.

Do we push him toward the sports that will possibly benefit him in the long run? Do we let him choose 100% (with the stipulation of no 2 at the same time)?

Just looking for real-world parents suggestions who have dealt with this in the past....

Thanks in advance for any guidance!!

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2011 :  11:39:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's 7. Let him play soccer in the fall, basketball in the winter and baseball in the spring and go to a multi-sport camp or two in the summer. He'll drop one when he's ready to.

My only regret is the catch up my son has been playing for the last 3 years on the baseball field since he didn't play baseball year round like some kids, but he's getting there. A kid who loves sports and works hard at something will always be better off than a kid who never does any kind of organized anything in life.
Go to Top of Page

wareagle

324 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2011 :  12:16:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally speaking, my son played soccer and I felt like it was a good sport to teach speed and quickness. It certainly kept him in shape. He is now 10 and I dont think he is going to play soccer anymore, but I have no regrets.

Personally I thought soccer was miserable to watch at this age. I am not a soccer fan anyway, but there are alot of kids that can not even kick a ball at these ages. Do you tell your kid to play his best or tell him not to hurt anyone?(This was rec league)

IMHO Let him do what he enjoys, as long as its not sitting in his room with a PS3. I do think it does them good to participate in multiple sports if they enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2011 :  12:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At seven, all the sports will benefit him the most. Believe me, when he gets to high school, not playing one fall rec season when he was seven won't have the least bit of impact either way. Have him play soccer, use those other muscles and skills and give the baseball muscles a chance to rest. You might also realize that you have a kid who is the next soccer star or basketball star. Wait a few years before you worry about specializing in any one or two sports. High school coaches will go out of their way to get you locked into their sport or program when you get there, so let him have fun trying them all now while you can.
Go to Top of Page

rustybucket

67 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2011 :  14:12:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well from what I hear the more competitive soccer league is the winter league as you loose a lot of the kids who just play to 'play'.

He is an EXTREMELY competitive soccer player, scored TONS of goals last year and ran circles around the competition... until they figured him out and put 3 or 4 defenders on him the whole game. But then that opened up the whole field to the other kids that didn't get as much chance to handle the ball.

We talked at lunch about it and I think we're going to basically leave it up to him to decide. We're going to draw out all the dates on the calendar, and try to fully explain everything and see what he wants to do.

I think the main question is baseball or soccer in the fall, and basketball or soccer in the winter.

Thanks for all the guidance and suggestions! Much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

toprank

138 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  09:24:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it was up to me I would say different sports are better. Play Soccer in the fall, basketball in the winter and baseball in the spring. "He will never have a future in basketball b/c of height" what do you mean by future?
Go to Top of Page

Steel-Will

278 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  09:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good question RB...Play basketball in the fall and the more competitive soccer in the winter. I wouldn't get away from playing soccer whether it's fall or winter, I think he should play one.

With the plethora of year round basketball, you'll probably have more flexibility of when you can play. 8 to 10 weeks sessions start every 3 months.

But definitely play soccer and give the baseball a rest.

The other consideration is that fall baseball is not very competitive.

At 7, we played 10u fall baseball. There were 4 other 7 year old travel ball players on the team and they dominated the team and league. Probably would have won it if we weren't playing football as well.

Edited by - Steel-Will on 06/16/2011 10:50:32
Go to Top of Page

rustybucket

67 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  11:03:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we've decided on the mix.

We all, as a family, sat down and talked about all this last night. It went very well I think. We tried to present all this in an unbiased manner.

When we started talking about fall baseball he was the most excited I've seen him in a WHILE. He started jumping up and down, bouncing off the walls.

So fall baseball it is, Winter Soccer.... and... yes.. and... his school (small private) has a little winter basketball league which is short with little/no practices and no weekend games until the finals. It is the same league he played in last year.

So... he says he wants to do winter soccer and basketball at the same time... We were going to move him to a normal rec basketball league this year but doing rec basketball and rec soccer at the same time wouldn't work. But this school league and the rec soccer might just work out together.

I know we said we weren't going to do two sports at the same time, but this school basketball league is more just 'show up and play' type league. He had a blast playing in it last year, and he's excited about playing in it again this year.

Now, what happens when two games occur at the same time?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000