General Discussion
 BBCOR Bats
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

coachpitch

66 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2011 :  12:51:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a topic discussing the impact of BBCOR on this forum. But, can some of you weigh in on the bats themselves? Here are a few my son is interested in...all in -3. Maybe you see no difference at all, but I would like to hear some thoughts.

Marucci Cat 5

Worth Toxic

Easton Rival

a1prog

164 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2011 :  21:52:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
coach- i cant speak to those bats specifically but i can tell you this; wait as long as you can before buying one. why? i have spoken to a few coaches/scouts about the bbcor bat and right now the ones on the market are either 2nd/3rd in terms of the manufacturing run. the first run- which the colleges used last fall had issues; one use and done, denting, dead more than expected and so forth. no different than many new products (like a gm car) in that the first time thru the manufacturing cycle they had issues. in the spirng schools started getting the second run and now the third run- much more consistency and a better result. on a personal note when the time comes to buy a bbcor for my kd i will be directing him to the names that have a real proven track record and where many colleges seem to be using their equipment. a company like demarini comes to mind.

my big question about bbcor bats is this- the bbcor rating rating for all these bats should be identical as every company looks to maximize the trampoline effect which is allowed. so it seems to me that what alloy gets used and such wont matter as much anymore. the biggest issues will be balance vs end loaded and the feel of the bat. and, dont forget color and racing stripes.......hope this helped.
Go to Top of Page

coachpitch

66 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  07:46:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a1...

That is pretty good insight. And, I definitely think you are right in the respect that, by and large, the "pop" won't vary much. The swing weight will probably be the thing that does. Marucci, for instance, tends to put more weight in the handle, which makes the bat swing lighter.

I very much like the thoughts of allowing the manufacturers to get their kinks out before buying. Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by a1prog

coach- i cant speak to those bats specifically but i can tell you this; wait as long as you can before buying one. why? i have spoken to a few coaches/scouts about the bbcor bat and right now the ones on the market are either 2nd/3rd in terms of the manufacturing run. the first run- which the colleges used last fall had issues; one use and done, denting, dead more than expected and so forth. no different than many new products (like a gm car) in that the first time thru the manufacturing cycle they had issues. in the spirng schools started getting the second run and now the third run- much more consistency and a better result. on a personal note when the time comes to buy a bbcor for my kd i will be directing him to the names that have a real proven track record and where many colleges seem to be using their equipment. a company like demarini comes to mind.

my big question about bbcor bats is this- the bbcor rating rating for all these bats should be identical as every company looks to maximize the trampoline effect which is allowed. so it seems to me that what alloy gets used and such wont matter as much anymore. the biggest issues will be balance vs end loaded and the feel of the bat. and, dont forget color and racing stripes.......hope this helped.

Go to Top of Page

Scatbat

39 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  20:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone swung or held the new TPX Z1000 BBCOR, I was just wandering because I bought my son the new TPX EXO BBCOR and that thing feels like it has a 5lb weight on the end of it. I have not unwrapped it yet so if there is something weighted a little better then we will probably trade it in as I just got it for him to use when he plays summerball with his high school team because that is all the coach wants em to swing in summerball. OH and I am talking about the -3 of course, the EXO is a 32/29

Thanks

Edited by - Scatbat on 06/05/2011 23:08:51
Go to Top of Page

Gold Glove

129 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  10:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Received this advice from two college coaches, "get your son swinging a BBCOR now." Purchased a Marucci CAT 5. At $200 not a huge investment compared to others. 16U son likes the feel and weight distribution. Good pop but nothing like his EXO BESR. He only uses in BP along with wood. Will be playing wood only the rest of the summer but will still use BBCOR in cage.
Go to Top of Page

Thequestion

3 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  13:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any one know when BBCOR bats for any drops other than -3 will be available?

Only seem to be -3 in stores or online.
Go to Top of Page

Mets69

70 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  14:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The following site provides a review of the bats based on their own testing. Might be worth a look ...

http://compositebats.com/best-bbcor-baseball-bat/
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  19:59:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thequestion

For now, BBCOR is required only for NCAA play. In 2012 (probably beginning with this fall season) it becomes required in GHSA play for high school. Since drop 3 is required for both of these organizations, you won't likely find BBCOR in any other drops. USSSA has it's new requirement for next season and you can find their new logo stamped bats in the steeper drops.
Go to Top of Page

Hillio

123 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  10:55:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by in_the_know

quote:
Originally posted by Thequestion

For now, BBCOR is required only for NCAA play. In 2012 (probably beginning with this fall season) it becomes required in GHSA play for high school. Since drop 3 is required for both of these organizations, you won't likely find BBCOR in any other drops. USSSA has it's new requirement for next season and you can find their new logo stamped bats in the steeper drops.

One of the players on our 10U team uses a Miken RZR 30/20, and it really seams to be a good bat.
http://www.justbats.com/product.view.aspx?p=13497
It has the new USSSA stamp, and as far as I know, it should be legal in 2012 in any organization that allows big barrel bats. Performance wise, it reminds me of the old blue Lithium Prodigy bats, and it even sounds the same. There have been a lot of hard hit balls with that bat, and few homers too I think.
Go to Top of Page

gatoremt

8 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  17:03:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The BBCOR bats will have to be used in all of the NFHS baseball games in 2012. Rawlings BBCOR bats are pretty hot from what I have heard.
Go to Top of Page

justletemplay

46 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  23:14:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nike & Demarini are getting a lot of exposure in the CWS
Go to Top of Page

Scatbat

39 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2011 :  07:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea I actually got my boy the 2012 Demarini Voodoo and have found it to be one of the better BBCOR's for the simple fact it isnt as end loaded as some of the new BBCOR bats.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2011 :  09:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scatbat

Yea I actually got my boy the 2012 Demarini Voodoo and have found it to be one of the better BBCOR's for the simple fact it isnt as end loaded as some of the new BBCOR bats.

Leaning toward this bat as well.
Go to Top of Page

coachkyle

59 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2011 :  12:18:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rippit

quote:

Does anyone know if there are significant differences between the 2011 and 2012 BBCOR Voodoos? I've see the 2011's online for $200...2012's are $300 pretty much everywhere unless you happen to catch one on eBay. If it's pretty much the same bat, I like $200 better than $300

Edited by - coachkyle on 06/13/2011 15:54:39
Go to Top of Page

Bubbasdad

86 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2011 :  21:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Better make sure it has the (USSSA STAMP ON IT ALL BATS ARE REQUIRED TO IN 2012)
quote:
Originally posted by coachkyle

quote:
Originally posted by rippit

quote:

Does anyone know if there are significant differences between the 2011 and 2012 BBCOR Voodoos? I've see the 2011's online for $200...2012's are $300 pretty much everywhere unless you happen to catch one on eBay. If it's pretty much the same bat, I like $200 better than $300

Edited by - Bubbasdad on 06/13/2011 22:32:16
Go to Top of Page

crackedbats

160 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2011 :  07:15:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know my son will lean toward the Voodoo because of the weighting. He loves the balanced bat vs end load. Easier to generate bat speed for a 5'9" 130lb kid.
Go to Top of Page

gatoremt

8 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  13:54:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would go ahead and get the BBCOR bats. You are going to have to have that stamp after this year for HS. So you would be better off. If it does not have that sticker an Umpire might no let you play with next year.
Go to Top of Page

toprank

138 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  08:18:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are most wood bats end loaded?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000