General Discussion
 1st post but a serious question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gregstang

8 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  08:20:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son is playing the pitchers mound on his 8-U coach pitch team.He stays alert and has good reflexes.
He wears the mask but currently doesnt wear a heart guard.
Im gonna buy him one but not sure which is a good one.Id rather buy him the shirt kind.What do others use? Im not over protective but considering a 13 yr old just past away after a hit to the chest,im not gonna be to careful
Thanks

metsFan

63 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  09:17:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evo shield.

http://www.evoshield.com/Baseball-Chest-Protector-Rib-Shin-Foot-s/1.htm

Twice as expensive as the soft shirt pad but 100 times better in terms of protection.
Go to Top of Page

mstimpson

57 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  09:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey gregstang. There are several out there, but since 6yr olds, my son has used the McDavid sleeveless Hexpad and still uses it now as an 11yr old (just a larger size). My middle one ,6 yr old, is using it also. Hope this helps and I do not feel you are being over protective. We never used anything when I was growing up, but seeing some of the shots kids are taking today, I feel chest protectors are needed.

Edited by - mstimpson on 06/07/2011 10:10:23
Go to Top of Page

beanball

222 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  09:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Honestly my son's prefered the hard plastic heart guard. they complained that the shirt was too hot and itchy in the warm weather.

Just know by the time they get to 12U they are not going to want to wear any kind of padding. Its just the way it is. I've had 2 boys go through this with the same result.
Go to Top of Page

BREAMKING

323 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  09:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look into evoshield that is the best I have seen.
Go to Top of Page

263 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  10:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evoshield without a doubt.
Go to Top of Page

ramman999

241 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  11:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
at 10u my son is wearing an Easton soft padded shirt - pitches, catches and plays middle infield - he just couldn't get used to the bulkiness of the evo - a little less protection but protection none the less.
If you can get them started, and used to the EVOshield, do it!
Go to Top of Page

RACGOFAR

208 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  13:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did the research on this a few years ago. I would not discourage anyone from purchasing if they thought it would provide added safety, but studies suggest to me that they are not that effective in preventing ventricular fibrillation. Below is an older abstract that I had found. I'll see if any new studies have been done.

Article
Failure of Commercially Available Chest Wall Protectors to Prevent Sudden Cardiac Death Induced by Chest Wall Blows in an Experimental Model of Commotio Cordis

Jonathan Weinstock, MDa, Barry J. Maron, MDb, Christopher Song, BAa, Paresh P. Mane, MDa, N.A. Mark Estes III, MDa, Mark S. Link, MDa
+ Author Affiliations

aCardiac Arrhythmia Center, Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine, Tufts-New England Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts
bMinneapolis Heart Institute Foundation, Minneapolis, Minnesota
ABSTRACT

OBJECTIVE. Sudden cardiac death that results from chest wall blows (commotio cordis) the second leading cause of death in young athletes. Most events are caused by blows from projectiles, such as baseballs or lacrosse balls, with a substantial proportion occurring despite the use of a chest protector. In the present experiment, we tested the effectiveness of commercially available chest protectors in preventing ventricular fibrillation (VF) that results from chest wall strikes with baseballs and lacrosse balls.

METHODS. Twelve different baseball or lacrosse chest protectors were evaluated in juvenile swines that were subjected to 40-mph baseball or lacrosse ball blows to the precordium during the vulnerable period of repolarization for VF and were compared with control impacts without chest protectors. Seven baseball chest protectors were hit by regulation baseballs, and 5 lacrosse chest protectors were tested by blows with standard lacrosse balls. Each animal received 2 chest blows for each protector and 2 control impacts without a chest protector, with the sequence of impacts assigned randomly.

RESULTS. VF was elicited by 12 (32%) of 37 strikes in control animals without baseball chest protectors. None of the baseball chest wall protectors tested were shown to decrease significantly the occurrence of VF when compared with controls. VF was elicited by 11 (46%) of 24 strikes in control animals without lacrosse chest protectors. None of the lacrosse chest wall protectors tested decreased significantly the occurrence of VF when compared with controls.

CONCLUSION. In our experimental animal model of commotio cordis, commercially available baseball and lacrosse chest wall protectors were ineffective in protecting against VF that was triggered by chest blows and, by inference, sudden cardiac death. Improvements in materials and design of chest wall barriers are necessary to reduce the occurrence of these tragic events and make the athletic field safer for youths.

Key Words: death sudden cardiac arrhythmia ventricular fibrillation pediatrics commotio cordis athletes
Accepted November 11, 2005.
Copyright © 2006 by the American Academy of Pediatrics
Go to Top of Page

Cardsfan17

24 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  14:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are several good brands on the market. My son pitches 11-U and wears the EVO. It is hot - no question about that, but if it provides ANY protection at all it is well worth it. I have seen several kids start wearing protection in the last few weeks and I imagine that trend will continue based on how fast the balls are coming back at them.
Go to Top of Page

SRD

14 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  22:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EVO SHIELD is the best! My son has wore one for the past 2 years. It helps with wild pitchers, too.
Go to Top of Page

Steel-Will

278 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  23:14:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son uses several (what he can find clean...hahahaha) including the McDavid Hex-Pad and Easton Torso-Tection. However, because of the rib pads in addition to the chest pad, and the lightness and coolness, he reaches for the Nike Pro-Combat padded shirt and shorts 9 times out of 10.

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-251592/pgid-251594#l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-362275/pgid-362276

Edited by - Steel-Will on 06/08/2011 08:03:18
Go to Top of Page

gregstang

8 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  08:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I bought the mcDavid hexpad and also ordered the rawling zoombang heart protector. I figure i might have to try a couple to see which he really likes to wear. I really like the evo shield and will be ordering one soon. Now i have to find a real good faceshield for him to use,anyone know of a good one?
Go to Top of Page

rustybucket

67 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  10:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody have any experience with helmets for pitchers? I was looking at easton bats the other day and saw this on their site.

http://www.eastonbaseball.com/pitchers-helmet
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000