General Discussion
 Travel Team Dilemma
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Charlie Hustle

29 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  10:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The saddest thing to me out of this whole baseball/travel team deal is when you have a son that you know can play on these teams, then wanting to commit to play and they ask you for $1,000.00 dollars on up, plus your travel cost, etc., and having to look into your son's eyes and telling him how sorry you are but it can't be done. After spending upwards of two grand or more already since Feb. with his last team , I'm stuck with that dilemma right now , and the chances for him to play any more this spring/summer and maybe until fall are looking pretty bleak. Just had to vent guys, and girls !!!

crackedbats

160 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  12:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JMHO I would think that if teams were looking for a fill in player to finish out the summer that cost would already be covered. I think if you are a late addition and they need you you should only pay for uniform.
Go to Top of Page

itsaboutbb

164 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  12:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CHRIS CATHCART

The saddest thing to me out of this whole baseball/travel team deal is when you have a son that you know can play on these teams, then wanting to commit to play and they ask you for $1,000.00 dollars on up, plus your travel cost, etc., and having to look into your son's eyes and telling him how sorry you are but it can't be done. After spending upwards of two grand or more already since Feb. with his last team , I'm stuck with that dilemma right now , and the chances for him to play any more this spring/summer and maybe until fall are looking pretty bleak. Just had to vent guys, and girls !!!

Sorry am I missing something here help me out? Where did the first 2k go? Did you leave that team? And if you did why are they not giving some of that money back? Secondly if it is about not having the money to do it you can go door to door selling stuff to fund-raise for him. If he really wants to do it you can get the funds. That's what makes this country great, people will help.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  13:17:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are several sides to this issue. I've seen players jump from team to team prompting our team to get some sort of financial commitment up front to take on a new player. Also, you have to consider what the parents of the original 11-12 are thinking after they've spent the kind of money you are talking about only to have a new kid join the team and get to play, but didn't spend the time and money all spring that they've spent.

I've seen this happen too much. Mommy/daddy gripes all season saying they are done after such and such month is over and then acts surprised when the coaching staff has found a couple new guys to try out in order to replace them.

At this point, our team is finding itself short on players every weekend because these same people suddenly are too busy for baseball, but God forbid we go find enough players who want to actually play causing their kid to end up on the bench (or off the team) eventually. They seem to want their cake and eat it too.

I hope you find a team like ours who is taking on one new player at a time and making SURE he and his parents are a good fit before having them fork over the big bucks. Now, if only our head coach would just stick it out...
Go to Top of Page

Gwinnett

791 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  13:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's tuff brother. I had to get creative this season with one in baseball and one in softball. I traded a TAG watch for about $700 in lessons. I also sold my nice coleman pop-up camper so both kids could play this season. I feel ya! In the end its worth every sacrifice because the kids love it(I mean love it)! I still have some other very nice stuff I can trade if I have to...lol (some gold on my teeth) lol

quote:
Originally posted by CHRIS CATHCART

Edited by - Gwinnett on 05/27/2011 13:38:15
Go to Top of Page

barsred98

116 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  13:53:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few years ago I saw a talented 14yo kid helping out with a younger rec team a few years ago..... found out he didnt play travel because single mom financially unable to manage it.
Ever since then I have toyed with the idea of trying to creat a non-profit to help kids who want to play travel but cant due to expenses. Fund through private donations, maybe asking for a percent of gate from the tournament directors, grants etc.
Lots of gray area though. What level would they have to play? What age groups would it cover?
My thoughts were that there would be an application process proving a need with financial records, proving parental committment to get them to practices/games, letter from coach stating that applicant had made the team, essay from player stating why he wanted to play etc.
The player would still be required to participate in any team fundraisers.
Is there anything like that out there? Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Hustle

29 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  17:55:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew this would get plenty of response and it did . A couple of things, one, we left the team after they suddenly moved all practices up to six o'clock , making it impossible to get 75 miles to practice at that time with our work schedules,and they had one out of state tourney we couldn't make, plus several other subjects I don't want to get into on here. Also, I do have my daughter, who is talented enough to play for anyone at nine years old , but we were fortunate to be able for her to play travel ball close by in McDonough. As for getting anything back, I don't see that happening !!! $ 1300.00 to play,hotels, gas, plus bat bag,etc., I had to purchase separate, that's where the two grand comes from plus some. Don't worry gang, I am going to do whatever it takes for my two to have those dreams fulfilled !!!
Go to Top of Page

scottboring

44 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  18:22:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know East Cobb offers a scholarship that does require information from the parents. I would think most larger organizations would also. Just be honest with the potential coach about your ability to pay. My teams have worked with someone every year.
Go to Top of Page

Mad1

252 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  21:51:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris, What age group is your son playing in.
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Hustle

29 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2011 :  08:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
13u-AAA Mad1.
Go to Top of Page

4bagger

131 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  11:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Travel Ball = Money.
I was unemployed for over a year and a half but made playing travel out of ECB possible by soliciting donations, working odd jobs to pay my bills and any leftover went to travel, holding multiple yard sales till everything sold I could afford to live without (turns out thats ALOT of stuff), cutting the bills down to the bare minimum, fund raising with the team every chance we got, etc. It can be done if your player and you want it bad enough.
As far as money lost to a previous team- I fully support the previous team keeping every penny given to them. As business manager for my team I am constantly chasing people for their dues and balancing the books and when "committed" players leave it causes incredible difficulty in paying the teams bills. The bills are the bills and you choosing to leave doesn't lower the bills.
If a player chooses to leave then no refund at all. If a player is asked to leave then all remaining monies should be refunded.
Chris, if you left the team due to the time change and you are traveling 75 miles to get to practice then you were probably on the wrong team to begin with. The larger issue is families who bypass perfectly good teams and coaches close to home to get on that "special" team. The grass is NEVER greener on the other side.
I love how people just have to be on an East Cobb team and pay dearly for it in money and distance. Typically, there is one, maybe two, awesome EC teams at each age group but after that you can get the same coaching and skills on the travel team out of your rec league park.
Lets look at the 10 year old level this year. Look at the lists people have made on this forum of the greatest 10U teams this year. How many on everybodys list are ECB teams? One. I love the Yankees but they have fallen very far this season so you really only have the Longhorns. So if you are a 10U player paying those ECB expenses and you are not on the Longhorns then you are missing great teams that are outside ECB.
Find a team closer to home where your son can "guest" as a player for the next month or two and the costs will be minor. Then play your next year at a team much closer to home and be more concerned with how much fun you have instead of what name is across the front of your shirt.
Go to Top of Page

stepoff

92 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  14:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4bagger: Which one is yours on the Longhorns? Hats off to all the teams, families, players, and coaches who sacrifice time and money so their kids can play at a competitive level in hopes of some day being spoke of in the same breath as the mighty Longhorns.
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Hustle

29 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  22:35:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well 4bagger, we tried out for several teams around this area and they didn't give him any chance at all. Since then, he has pitched against a couple of those teams and shut them down. One coach even told me he wished he had him now !!! That's why we ended up that far from the house , cause he didn't get a second look from any of them . Now you look on the site and see all these teams looking for pitchers and they are e-mailing me needing him now. Believe me brother, I have made multiple sacrifices for both of mine, my daughter plays travel too, and will do whatever it takes for both of them. One of his former teams did call that is close to the house and he is playing for them the rest of the way and really enjoying himself once again.
Go to Top of Page

4bagger

131 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  22:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stepoff- Not on the longhorns. Wish my son was, but they passed him over.
Chris, glad to hear your son is happy playing ball again and on a team closer to home. "....really enjoying himself once again." Those are the best words you can say about your sons playing. And isn't it fun to have the last word by playing against, and beating, teams that passed on you previously?!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000