General Discussion
 Well I'm done
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reallycoach

64 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  09:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First lety me say thank you to this great baseball community. You guys are great and the things you do for the children are to be commended. Unfourtunatly for me, after decades of being involved in youth sports I am stepping away.

I wish you all the best and hope you and your team have a fun and productive season.

Goodbye

Hiredgun

44 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  14:14:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reallycoach,

At the first reading of your message I took it that you were stepping away because it was time but, after reading it again I am sensing that there is an under lying reason that has caused this decision in the middle of the season.

Maybe I am reading more into it than there actually is. Regardless, it sounds like you have made up your mind. Good luck down the road thanks for all your time and effort you have given to the kids in your area.
Go to Top of Page

loveforthegame25

448 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  17:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really, a little background would be good
Go to Top of Page

gabulldogs

29 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  21:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like an unhappy parent to me...Hope I'm wrong, but doubt it. Can't wait to hear the response to this, but is what it is...
Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  15:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your years/ decades of service to the game and our youth whom play it.
Go to Top of Page

reallycoach

64 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  09:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No kid playing. I recommended a team/coach for a former player and the result is the kids looking at leaving baseball at the end of the season. Team turned into a win at all cost, revloving door of hire guns. Parents seem to have way too much input and it's leaving those who will not complain in difficult situations. parents are set to look for a new team next season, but right now the kid is saying he's done. too bad becasue he loves the team members, but team talks are less then motivational leaving him feeling like he's not a very good player. probelm is, I think he's one of the top five on this team and so do the instructors who train him and have watched him play.
Go to Top of Page

touchemall

145 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  12:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's not your fault coach. Don't leave behind a game you love and love to be a part of over one bad season.
Go to Top of Page

reallycoach

64 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  15:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I hadn't been positive about this organization and I had positioned it as more of " just one more option" I could wash my hands of the situation. But I didn't I just about guaranteed a positive experience. I still can't believe my judgment was so far off. Although I am considering forming a team, getting back in the mix and fixing what I screwed up.
Go to Top of Page

itsaboutbb

164 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  15:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reallycoach

First lety me say thank you to this great baseball community. You guys are great and the things you do for the children are to be commended. Unfourtunatly for me, after decades of being involved in youth sports I am stepping away.

I wish you all the best and hope you and your team have a fun and productive season.

Goodbye

Really Coach?
Go to Top of Page

bstand

56 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  16:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with touchemall. What message would you be sending those you have coached about adversity. Clearly the easy way out of the situation is to quit. A better solution would be continue your service and help all of those who you can. JMHO.
Go to Top of Page

coachdan06

433 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  01:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reallycoach

No kid playing. I recommended a team/coach for a former player and the result is the kids looking at leaving baseball at the end of the season. Team turned into a win at all cost, revloving door of hire guns. Parents seem to have way too much input and it's leaving those who will not complain in difficult situations. parents are set to look for a new team next season, but right now the kid is saying he's done. too bad becasue he loves the team members, but team talks are less then motivational leaving him feeling like he's not a very good player. probelm is, I think he's one of the top five on this team and so do the instructors who train him and have watched him play.

parents have input + its win at all costs ?

the ol joke is no joke :
Q whats the worst thing about youth baseball
A the parents

biggest loss and I hear about it lots every year is good honest men who become disgusted dealing with selfish parents many whom never played sports and have no clue

they show up just to see little Johnny hopefully be better than another child

Then Coach quits and we have one less good vulunteer coach to do what the complaining parents wont and cant do

but it gets worse : Guess how little Johnny someday will handle his kid playing sports ?

Go to Top of Page

reallycoach

64 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  08:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please keep on mind I am not activly coaching a team. I had stepped out of coaching two years ago, but stayed engaged with several former players/parents. This is where I got myself in a pickle and led this family stray
Go to Top of Page

Heater

74 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  12:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a change in philosophy by the team you recommended. I always believed winning, breeds winning, but it also become additing and any cost. Some teams need to use the "hired gun" tactic to remain competitive at the hirer levels. Many teams do it, it is what it is. If the player is a top 5 talent, he'll eventually get a chance to prove his worth, but it seems like a tough situation. Is it too late to jump ship to another team?

Best of luck to all of you!
Go to Top of Page

dmb350

135 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  17:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You made a judgement error. Big deal. If the kid can't deal with the team issues then he probably wasn't going to cut it in high school ball either. Travel ball is cut throat for the most part. Climb the ladder to the high majors/elite level and it is win at any cost and guys jump teams all the time for one reason or the other. Only a few very special teams manage to escape that problem. You made a recommendation and it turned out not to be a good fit. Quit beating yourself up over it, apologize if you feel the need and move on. If instructors, his parents and your opinion aren't enough to keep the kid's confidence in his game then let him go. If he really loves it, he'll come back.
Go to Top of Page

Stinger44

49 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  11:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dmb350

You made a judgement error. Big deal. If the kid can't deal with the team issues then he probably wasn't going to cut it in high school ball either. Travel ball is cut throat for the most part. Climb the ladder to the high majors/elite level and it is win at any cost and guys jump teams all the time for one reason or the other. Only a few very special teams manage to escape that problem. You made a recommendation and it turned out not to be a good fit. Quit beating yourself up over it, apologize if you feel the need and move on. If instructors, his parents and your opinion aren't enough to keep the kid's confidence in his game then let him go. If he really loves it, he'll come back.

DMB is on the money.

Bird parents (stick with me) fret and agonize as their young offspring attempt their first flights.

They are also the ones that push them out of the nest.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000