General Discussion
 12 year old playing up
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

5ToolsBB

23 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  04:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Supose I have a 12 year old playing up to 14U. Do the bat weight drop requirements apply by age of player or age group the player competes in?

biged

198 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  09:05:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Age group they are playing in determines bat requirements.

I know you didn't ask, but I thought I had to throw my 2 cents in anyway. Playing up two years????????? Huge difference between 12u and 14u. Most 12s are starting puberty while most 14 have reached it. Mentally a different game. Oh, and dug out conversations, well lets just say it can be racy.

If your asking what bat size, that might be a good clue to give this some more thought.

That being said, there are a lot of options at 12 that can get you the comp you may want.

Finally, 12u is probably the best year for travel ball. You would be missing Cooperstown and 215 ft fences. Enjoy the ride don't push the age thing, your boy will be 14 soon enough and then he will be in high school playing "up" with 19 year old men..........
Go to Top of Page

beanball

222 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  09:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no weight drop requirement @ 14U. You can use what ever you like although all -3 bats have much more pop than any -8 or -10.
Go to Top of Page

Storm Baseball

212 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  09:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
age group he is playing in.
Go to Top of Page

momshell

103 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  09:49:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is age of group.
Go to Top of Page

G-Man

326 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  00:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a big difference in the game from 12u to 14u. However I have to disagree that kids that age shouldnt play up 2 years. My son since 11yrs old has started at SS for a 14u travel team. In my opinion it has made him a better ball player, mentally, physically and confidence wise. The biggest difference is the size of the field 60/90. Asking my son he says that he enjoys the game more on the bigger field than on the 50/70 field. His words, it seems more like real baseball.

The issues you will face. There is A LOT more ground to cover for every position. Longer bases to run, swinging heavier bats, the speed at which the game is played at that level, longer throws from every position, understanding the situational parts of baseball and always having to stay mentally focused. For the younger guys wanting or playing up it requires a strong work ethic. These older young men are already bigger and stronger so in order to compete the younger players must put in twice as much work in to keep their bodies and mind in shape to play with these older players.

As for what size bats to swing. There are no bat size or weight requirements at 14u but most coaches at this age group will require that their players swing a drop 3 baseball bat. Its a big change for a young man who has been use to swinging a drop 10 or 8 bat to switch to a drop 3. My son started swinging a drop 3 a little over a year ago and when he first picked up this size bat it was a big adjustment. Now he swings it as well as he did his drop 8. The biggest issue you will face is the extra weight in the bat changing your sons swing machanics. Its more difficult to control the bat head because of the extra weight for younger players. It takes time to develope the strenght in the forearms and hands needed to get that size bat through the zone without the player casting that front arm. I can tell you from expereince that every coach we have run in to playing 14u has not allowed any player to swing less than a drop 3 baseball bat.

If your son plans on swinging a drop 3 I would suggest buying a drop 3 bat that is balanced and not end loaded until he has developed the mechanics to swing a havier baseball bat. One I can suggest is a DeMarini Voodoo. Once you allow him to swing a -3 bat never let him pick up anything below that weight or you will face timing issues along with possible swing machanics problems. Even when my son guest plays with his own age group, he still swings his 31/28 Voodoo.

Never be afraid to play up. Playing up will only make you better as a player and better prepare you for what most of these young men are seeking, which is playing for their high school teams. The difference between those young men that play up and those that dont. The ones who play up get a head start on making those adjustments that every player must make when moving up to the big field compared to those young men who always play their own age group.

quote:
Originally posted by biged

Age group they are playing in determines bat requirements.

I know you didn't ask, but I thought I had to throw my 2 cents in anyway. Playing up two years????????? Huge difference between 12u and 14u. Most 12s are starting puberty while most 14 have reached it. Mentally a different game. Oh, and dug out conversations, well lets just say it can be racy.

If your asking what bat size, that might be a good clue to give this some more thought.

That being said, there are a lot of options at 12 that can get you the comp you may want.

Finally, 12u is probably the best year for travel ball. You would be missing Cooperstown and 215 ft fences. Enjoy the ride don't push the age thing, your boy will be 14 soon enough and then he will be in high school playing "up" with 19 year old men..........

Go to Top of Page

allenbo

15 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  10:55:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice G-man. He has usually played up 1-2 years. He made his middle school team as a 6th grader and has swung a 32/29 pretty well so far. My try a 31/26 for travel ball for the summer, go back to the drop 3 next spring and stay there. I agree the kids always progress faster when they play up and in my son's case try to catch up to big brother too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000