New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

4bagger

131 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  09:42:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. Parents whos kid sat most of last season or were dropped from a team and we saw some hidden talent to work with and that kid is now starting and batting every game but they STILL complain because we play the kid where he will be successful, not where they want him to play.
2. Parents of a kid they think is a good pitcher and we should pitch him more often but in actuality the kid couldn't find the strike zone if he walked up to home plate with a "T" and placed the ball on it.
3. Parents who complain their kid isn't pitching enough and then when we pitch him and he gets clobbered they complain that we didn't pull him out before he was humiliated.
4. Parents who always know everything better than the coaches yet they never have the time to work with their son outside of practices and they don't have their OWN team to coach.
5. Team hoppers who commit to one team, don't like where their kid is batting or playing so they go to team #2, don't like the win-loss record so they go to team #3, don't like the coaching philosophy so they go to team #4, etc.....
6. Teams that cheer AGAINST other teams instead of FOR their team or yell during pitchers wind up.
7. Parents and coaches who allow and encourage #6.
8. Umps who don't care about #6 or #7.
9. Frustrated coaches on the losing side of a 15-2 score in the 5th inning who start arguing about every minutiae about baseball. It's over guys, take your loss and teach your kids to learn from it and move on.
10. Drastic changes in the strike zone throughout any game but particularly during a close one.
11. Umps who won't confer with each other to make sure the call is right, whether they've been asked to by the coaches or not.
12. Umps who show up 3-4 minutes before game time after the kids have been chilling in the dugout for 10 minutes and then start getting on the teams to hurry up.
13. Parks that spend millions of dollars to build gorgeous facilities with 9 or 10 very good ball fields and 1 or 2 nice concession stands, covered play area, safety netting, paver bricks and landscaping BUT NO BATTING CAGES!!! IT SHOULD BE GODS 11TH COMMANDMENT THAT THOU SHALT NOT BUILD A BASEBALL FIELD WITHOUT AT LEAST 1 BATTING CAGE DEDICATED TO THAT FIELD. TWO WOULD BE BETTER.
14. Teams that bring noisemakers of any type beyond their voices and think its ok to be rude to every other team on every other field because "our kids like it and thats just too bad for everyone else." Way to be a real jerk there.
15. TDs that see the weather forecast is 80-100% chance of rain, thunderstorms, lightning, hail, cows, pigs, barns, sharp implements but insist on trying to get that game in to save some money.
16. Giving up 11 runs to the other team on 13 errors because it's just a really bad day and we don't have 3 of our normal starters and everyone is shifted around and, of course, losing 15-10 and the winning team strutting around like they are the best ever and then, salt in the wound, all us bloggers on here blog about how great that winning team is and it adds to their mystique when THEY DIDN'T WIN THE GAME, WE LOST THE GAME. There IS a big difference and it doesn't show in the W-L columns.
17. The "halo" effect teams get because they were very good at 9U so they're gonna be great at 10U, even though they had 6 players leave and 6 new ones join.

Go to Top of Page

Outtahere

43 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  12:37:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Parent who sits in the stands and points out errors/bad at bats by all of the kids but his own!
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  12:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People who take cheap shots at other people on forums behind secret identities.
Go to Top of Page

ramman999

241 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  13:20:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bandit_Hawk

People who take cheap shots at other people on forums behind secret identities.

+1000000000
Go to Top of Page

Lefty8

67 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  13:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To Bandit Hawk your firt one about Mom's wearing things they grew out of years ago......PRICELESS!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

10 BB

264 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  14:05:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHAHA!!!! You got to be kidding????
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  14:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 4bagger

1. Parents whos kid sat most of last season or were dropped from a team and we saw some hidden talent to work with and that kid is now starting and batting every game but they STILL complain because we play the kid where he will be successful, not where they want him to play.
2. Parents of a kid they think is a good pitcher and we should pitch him more often but in actuality the kid couldn't find the strike zone if he walked up to home plate with a "T" and placed the ball on it.
3. Parents who complain their kid isn't pitching enough and then when we pitch him and he gets clobbered they complain that we didn't pull him out before he was humiliated.
4. Parents who always know everything better than the coaches yet they never have the time to work with their son outside of practices and they don't have their OWN team to coach.
5. Team hoppers who commit to one team, don't like where their kid is batting or playing so they go to team #2, don't like the win-loss record so they go to team #3, don't like the coaching philosophy so they go to team #4, etc.....
6. Teams that cheer AGAINST other teams instead of FOR their team or yell during pitchers wind up.
7. Parents and coaches who allow and encourage #6.
8. Umps who don't care about #6 or #7.
9. Frustrated coaches on the losing side of a 15-2 score in the 5th inning who start arguing about every minutiae about baseball. It's over guys, take your loss and teach your kids to learn from it and move on.
10. Drastic changes in the strike zone throughout any game but particularly during a close one.
11. Umps who won't confer with each other to make sure the call is right, whether they've been asked to by the coaches or not.
12. Umps who show up 3-4 minutes before game time after the kids have been chilling in the dugout for 10 minutes and then start getting on the teams to hurry up.
13. Parks that spend millions of dollars to build gorgeous facilities with 9 or 10 very good ball fields and 1 or 2 nice concession stands, covered play area, safety netting, paver bricks and landscaping BUT NO BATTING CAGES!!! IT SHOULD BE GODS 11TH COMMANDMENT THAT THOU SHALT NOT BUILD A BASEBALL FIELD WITHOUT AT LEAST 1 BATTING CAGE DEDICATED TO THAT FIELD. TWO WOULD BE BETTER.
14. Teams that bring noisemakers of any type beyond their voices and think its ok to be rude to every other team on every other field because "our kids like it and thats just too bad for everyone else." Way to be a real jerk there.
15. TDs that see the weather forecast is 80-100% chance of rain, thunderstorms, lightning, hail, cows, pigs, barns, sharp implements but insist on trying to get that game in to save some money.
16. Giving up 11 runs to the other team on 13 errors because it's just a really bad day and we don't have 3 of our normal starters and everyone is shifted around and, of course, losing 15-10 and the winning team strutting around like they are the best ever and then, salt in the wound, all us bloggers on here blog about how great that winning team is and it adds to their mystique when THEY DIDN'T WIN THE GAME, WE LOST THE GAME. There IS a big difference and it doesn't show in the W-L columns.
17. The "halo" effect teams get because they were very good at 9U so they're gonna be great at 10U, even though they had 6 players leave and 6 new ones join.

Totally LMAO at #13 and #15!!!
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  15:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Parents with no loyalty who will throw anyone and everyone under the bus just so that little Johnny is on a winning team.
Go to Top of Page

4bagger

131 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  21:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just as a side note on these forums- My sons name truly IS Johnny so I love seeing everyone saying "Little Johnny"....... :)
Go to Top of Page

touchemall

145 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  22:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I hate after tonight's rain:

Small dugouts
Go to Top of Page

AABB16

17 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  07:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rain on tournament weekend!
Go to Top of Page

bball-fan

89 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  08:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umpires that watch lightning for a long time, but wait until it's a complete game to call it. And tournament directors that allow it.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  11:04:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tournament directors that split a field of over 20 teams into 3 tournaments for no reason (stop letting teams sign up when you've maxed out), run teams off, beg them to come back when other teams leave because you've combined classes, mess with the pool play schedule some more and then realize they've bitten off more than they can chew and cancel a whole weekend at one park without even making an effort to get the fields ready or finding a replacement field.
Go to Top of Page

PerfectGame

55 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  23:00:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The parents who think their kid is the one who's going to make it to the MLB. That's all they focus on ... the next big thing... and fail to just enjoy the time they have with them now.
Go to Top of Page

Steel-Will

278 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  08:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After reading all this, it's abundantly clear we certainly endure a lot to participate in travel baseball!

Just think, these are the times that can't be recaptured; we better enjoy them, especially the noise makers (nobody does it better than out south Florida brothers and sisters), the horrible chants the kids scream, and the moms in their antiquated fan gear....go-mommy-go :)

Oh yeah, one more thing, I'm not sure I like the coaches when they have on the same uniform as little Johnny....they just look funny to me....hahahahahha

Edited by - Steel-Will on 04/18/2011 09:07:19
Go to Top of Page

Gwinnett

791 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  09:58:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its also abundantly clear HOW MUCH WE ALL REALLY LOVE THIS GAME WITH OUR KIDS PLAYING IN IT!!!!!! We love it soooooo much we all participate in this forum....lol NOW THATS SOME LOVE!!!!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Steel-Will

After reading all this, it's abundantly clear we certainly endure a lot to participate in travel baseball!

Just think, these are the times that can't be recaptured; we better enjoy them, especially the noise makers (nobody does it better than out south Florida brothers and sisters), the horrible chants the kids scream, and the moms in their antiquated fan gear....go-mommy-go :)

Oh yeah, one more thing, I'm not sure I like the coaches when they have on the same uniform as little Johnny....they just look funny to me....hahahahahha

Edited by - Gwinnett on 04/18/2011 10:29:43
Go to Top of Page

slide_home

9 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  10:50:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great question and some really good replies.

Without being "preachy", my main gripe lately is Sunday morning gamees. Many of us would like to go to church and some of us feel we are sending the wrong message to our kids by skipping church every Sunday just so they can play ball.

It seems that the tournaments could have more games during the week and skip Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon is a great time for the last 2-3 bracket games.
Go to Top of Page

mjones9226

81 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  12:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slide Home, with larger tournaments and field space plus travel it just works out that way most of the time. We have and will continue to do a devotional series, and put alot of emphasis on it. Last year by seasons end it was great to see how much the kids had learned along with the parents. We had several families that did not attend church, and it was a blessing to see some of them now attending. We had 3 kids saved and baptized during the season, and that was definitely the highlight for me. FCA is a great resource, and they are working hard to reach out to the travel baseball community. Check out their website or contact your local FCA rep. I am still with you, but last year revealed a unique opprotunity for ministry within sports.
Go to Top of Page

reallycoach

64 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  13:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
watch out, the separation of church and tournament folks will call the ACLU. LOL
Go to Top of Page

bball-fan

89 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  14:00:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This isn't really a "can't stand" more like a "Why??!!". When coaches wear metal spikes to the games. HAHA.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  14:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time limits.
Go to Top of Page

Hiredgun

44 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  15:33:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. Drama Mommas
2. Parents that always want to throw their $0.02 in on everyting
3. Parents that want to question why are we playing in this tournament
4. Parents that want to practice more but when you have a practice scheduled they are the first ones that can't make it.

Go to Top of Page

davidh6265

27 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  02:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great topic...I am an umpire but also a dad of a 13u travel ball player:

#1 Dad's that move from their chair to stand behind home plate only when their son is batting and yell instructions to him and complain about every strike call.
#2 Coaches that prefer to "show up" an umpire rather than ask for time and have a civil conversation. (umpires have bad days(or moments)...just like coaches and players)
#3 Ash oles that spit their used chewing tobacco in walking paths. (I am a tobacco chewer but dam n)
#4 The father that buys his son 4 wristbands, 2 batting gloves, an elbow guard, a mouthpiece, a shin/ankle guard and a $150 pair of sunglasses just for batting.
#5 Teams that have their post-game meeting on the pitchers mound when there is a game to follow. (I hope someone from East Cobb sees this)
#6 Being called "ump" (Blue or my real name is better)
#7 This should be higher on the list but let me just say this is VERY important to any umpire: I HATE it when Coaches yell "safe" or "out" or "good pitch" or "good eye" BEFORE the umpire has made his call or the play or pitch is even completed.
#8 Working with a fellow umpire that I have not worked with before that seems unsure of his calls or the rules. It's hard to work with someone like that but, as a fellow umpire, what can you do? Sure, I could refuse to work with that guy again, but that won't help matters right THEN.
#9 Catchers that set up WAY TOO FAR outside on an 0-2 count. This is just to you coaches out there...I am not a backstop. Most umpires including me, try to set up on the catcher's inside shoulder to get the best view of the plate and the most protection possible. If he(the catcher) moves off the plate, the umpire has to choose between a good view of the plate yet exposed, or protected and a horrible view of the plate. All I'm saying here is, don't expect the benefit of the doubt on a ball/strike call if the umpire is ducking for cover and has his eyes closed preparing for an inevitable fastball to the groin.
#10 Anyone that can't function without a cellphone glued to their ear.
Go to Top of Page

rjrousseau1

81 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  09:33:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Experienced this one last weekend in Lagrange. Playing on fields that are not the age group dimensions. We played 3 13&U games on a field with 70 ft bases instead of the required 80 ft bases.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  09:50:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hiredgun

1. Drama Mommas
2. Parents that always want to throw their $0.02 in on everyting
3. Parents that want to question why are we playing in this tournament
4. Parents that want to practice more but when you have a practice scheduled they are the first ones that can't make it.

Amen brother!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000