General Discussion
 Tournament Questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

9U Coach

30 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  11:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it typical for the coaches to have to explain the rules, game times, etc. to the umpires at the plate meetings before each game of a tournament? Is it too much to ask of the TD's to have a manditory meeting with all the umpires some time before the tournament starts to explain these things to them? Can they not get the same email sent to them that we coaches usually receive prior to the tournament start? This is my 2nd year coaching 9U travel ball and this always happens. Does it just happen in 9U? Most of the time, the umpires think we are playing by "rec ball" 9U rules with no leading off, no balks, per inning run limits, etc. I don't think it's fair to the umpires to not know what the tournament rules are and have to be told by the coaches.

Also, how many tournaments have the time limit on the championship game? In my opinion, this should never happen, but it has in some cases.

All of the above has happened in both sanctioned tournaments and team/park run tournaments.

ecbpappi

244 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  15:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a good idea to bring a copy of the tournament rules with you for each tournament, these umps are involved in so many different organizations that they can never keep any of the rules straight. I've several looking them over in the parking lot just before doing a game, doesn't matter if it's sanctioned or not.

As far as the time limit in the ship, that's very unusual to have one.
Go to Top of Page

loveforthegame25

448 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  16:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not acceptable....... but happens all the time
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  21:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having a meeting with the umps prior to the tournament is not possible because typically umps rotate out throughout the day and not all of them are there at the beginning of the day. One thing I started doing when running a tournament was to print the key rules on the back of the pitching card so the umps could go over it with the coaches at home plate before the game. This cuts down on discrepencies about the rules and gives the umps a quick reference.

Typically the less experienced umpires work the younger age groups so at 9u, I can see why you are coming across umps that are still trying to figure out all the different rules.

Edited by - Alter-Ego on 11/17/2010 22:10:57
Go to Top of Page

coachtony

236 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  21:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not in any way saying this is acceptable, but just for a second think about it from the Umpire's POV....one day he is calling a USSSA tournament, the next Tuesday and Thursday he calls Little League games, the next weekend he is at a Triple Crown event, the next day he calls a Middle School game, then that weekend he heads over to a Nations Tournament. Each of these sanctioning bodies have their own rules and most of the time the slight changes are what is discussed at the home plate meeting (game length, extra inning rules, balks and dropped third strikes for the younger age groups, etc). Most of the time when I see this from an umpire it is the first game of the day. After that, he has got it. Again, not saying it is acceptable, just explaining it from their POV.

As for time limit on the 'ship, I have only seen it in the fall with these new Sunday full game tournaments instead of the 4 inning/45 minute shootouts.

--T

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000