New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SouthSide24

44 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  16:04:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that most don't? What I mean is some of the same teams are always at the top, what is it

Im guessing discipline, players know there roles, parents SUPPORT coaches decisions, etc..

Just trying to pick up a few tips here and there

also for those who inquired about CDP certificate, I made mistake it was due Sdept 15th, I thought it was Sept 30th..Anyway it was used by noone

coach0512

123 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  19:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coaches who care more for the entire team than any one player and will actually replace weaker players with stronger ones.
Now you can debate whether it is better to have a top notch team or a team of the same kids that stay together, become friends, consider fun and experience more critical than winning, etc.
Now, what would I WANT to help make a successful travel team? A millionaire parent who writes a big, fat check and covers 80% of the expenses! :)
Go to Top of Page

biged

198 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  22:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PITCHING
Go to Top of Page

Gwinnett

791 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  22:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Biged, you mean PITCHING AND HITTING!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  02:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly what Coach0512 said....Coaches that are willing to let the weaker players go and pick up players that fit that particular coaches needs. People can get on here and say what they want about picking some kids and keeping them together, but teams like the Bandits, ECB Braves and all the older Astros teams have new kids year to year....The coaches that recruit find a way to stay towards the top....
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  09:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Papa agrees with what all of you are saying but I dislike the term recruit. I prefer to call it building. A great team is hardly ever recruited although I am sure that this would be possible. A recruited team would not measure up to the team that is built on a solid foundation with maintenance being kept up as needed. Maintenance is fixing something that is not working well at the time and Maintenance is necessary if you want the team to keep working properly.

Building a great team is just like working a very difficult puzzle. You have to find the right piece at the most opportune time and make sure that the piece fits the puzzle before you put that piece in place. Sometimes you have to remove a piece that you dearly love and felt should be there but the new piece is exactly what the puzzle needs.

Building a great team requires all of the right trades to be involved and for all the trades to be aware of what the other trades are doing. Trades for building a baseball team would include the Head Coach, Assistant Coaches, Parents, and Players and then the support group such as sponsors and friends and family. These trades have to work as one and if something goes wrong on the project find a way to correct the problem.

Greatly skilled trades of course help with any project but just skilled trades working together as one makes for a much better building.

I can tell you from being there that the 12U Bandits were not recruited they were built. Built from the very best lumber that we could find and molded into the very best building that we could build. I do want all of you to know this and that is even after building the very best house that we could build that the house will not stand unless you fill it with family and family is what holds our house together. I won't tell you that all the trades have always agreed but I will say that through thick and thin we have always been in the fight together and if I know our families the way I think I do we will always have great memories of the time we have shared together and even after we have all gone our separate directions we will never forget the ride that the Bandits have taken us on.

Edited by - baseballpapa on 10/29/2010 14:27:18
Go to Top of Page

PATbb

58 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  09:55:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Up until 11u, most of these teams have had a strong core of kids who are really good pitchers, and that the 2-3 players getting cut and/or joining the team each year are on the edge (bottom of the order and playing time) of the team talent wise and unless they make a big impact they would not penetrate into the core. During the 11u season, you see the need for more speed on the bases and in the field and the few kids with the speed will be recruited and will have a good chance to penetrate the core of some of these great teams. As for batting, at these ages, most good pitchers have a good/strong bat and OBP because they understand the strike zone well from all of the pitching and game experience. So, pitching still trumps everything.....

Coach 0512-there is a team with the millionaire writing the fat check.....but remember the millionaire's son still has to play somewhere in the field and bat somewhere in the lineup..... if he is not happy with a coach or a player or a parent, then who knows what might happen...no drama to be had on a team like this...I believe there is another team where 3 of the kids are getting a free ride from one of the three's family members.....which makes for some interesting scenarios.... if the money man is not happy with his relative's playing time or positions...I think they call it leverage
Go to Top of Page

Hiredgun

44 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  10:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember this.....teams that are not successful do not stay together. You always have to evaluate your team from year to year and make adjustments to insure that your team is the best it can be.
Go to Top of Page

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  10:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MONEY
Go to Top of Page

bb2210

16 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  13:25:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chemistry
Go to Top of Page

jongamefan

218 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  15:12:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hiredgun

Remember this.....teams that are not successful do not stay together. You always have to evaluate your team from year to year and make adjustments to insure that your team is the best it can be.

GUN: I have to disagree on this .

lotta teams including through the 15 and up east cobb are not what many call succesful but they stick together for the ball playing for the comradarie and frankly to avoid the oft unfriendly dynamics of a winning team

face it very few we know are going to make it even into a college playing ball so why not get some fun out of it that includes us parents !

Go to Top of Page

SSBuckeye

575 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  15:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bottom line, after all the elements of what makes a good travel team are debated and discussed, the only thing that really matters is that the stated goals of the team are agreed upon by both the parents and coaches and that the coaches actually deliver on those goals as promised.
Go to Top of Page

Jimbob

6 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  22:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rarely is the coaching excellent...the better teams recruit thus have better players and parents that want to have status thru the kids ...silly actually. Most teams turnover because of the bickering each year between the parents and coaches.
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  23:55:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well said Buckeye, I think many many coaches will say whatever is necessary to add the best available talent.

Papa, I hope you know there was no disrespect meant with the recruiting term, our time with WH and TC was better than any other time we have had since baseball began for our family, and I think building is also a good term to use when describing a dominant team. The point I was trying to make is keeping the same kids from 6-15 hardly ever happens, and I don't think it is possible if trying to stay on the top....I think the Bandits should be used as a model when coaches are trying to build a top major team...
Go to Top of Page

coach0512

123 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  00:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's another one-Adding better players as the team progresses.
Just tonight we added a new kid to our team who had an excellent tryout. Really a very good pitcher.
MY son was looking sullen in the car on the way home and I asked why. He said he was afraid the new kid was going to bump him out of the starting rotation because the coaches were saying how good he was. Then he said he was going to have to practice more to keep his spot and asked for more pitching lessons! Yehaaaa! Just what I've been waiting to hear. The whole team will get better because this kid will push others to work harder.
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  16:25:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbob

Rarely is the coaching excellent...the better teams recruit thus have better players and parents that want to have status thru the kids ...silly actually. Most teams turnover because of the bickering each year between the parents and coaches.

So, a parent is given the opportunity to surround his kid with quality players on a competitive team that plays and succeeds against the best teams in their age group and your assumption is that the coaching is NOT excellent and the parents are mostly concerned with THEIR status?

The very best teams we have seen in my sons age group all have one thing in common besides great players ... excellent coaching. I would say it is the norm, not the exception for these successful teams. Then again, I can only speak for the particular age group my son plays. Maybe you were speaking of a different age group ??

As for "status", I'm sure there are people who fit that mold but I haven't met them yet. As for us, when we were given the opportunity for our son to join the best team in GA it was a no brainer. Not only is he surrounded by great kids, parents and coaches, the opportunity has lit a fire inside him to become better that I had not seen inside him before.

Edited by - TAZ980002 on 10/30/2010 20:33:48
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  01:25:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I want mine to play against good talent for my own self interests.....I haven't figured out all the people on here who hate on the good ball players and good teams.....I can assure you the teams who stay on top have good coaches.....I'm not sure what age your son plays Jimbob but I could recommend some high quality teams for you to play so you could see this coaching firsthand....
Go to Top of Page

biged

198 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  08:46:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hitting is a nice to have, but good Pitching will shut down good hitting. A team with good pitching and below average hitting will beat a team with good hitting and average pitching most of the time.

Pithing is King
Go to Top of Page

atlbaseball

17 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  19:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Money and a couple of good years under your belt to give you enough of a rep to cherry pick.
Go to Top of Page

Gwinnett

791 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  23:25:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel ya biged... THANK GOD for good pitching!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  08:52:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
biged has only said what Papa has been saying for years. The hitting is great to have but it will fail you more often than most any other part of the game. Good pitching will keep you in the game until the hitting has time to catch up. If you look at every big game the Bandits have won over the past several years you will find that pitching played the biggest part in the win. Does anyone disagree with the pitching vs. hitting comments so far.
Go to Top of Page

Gwinnett

791 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  09:26:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree 100% papa, pitching has always been our golden ticket. We hit great but we can be shut down by a great pitcher! Depth of pitching is key in winning it all.....
Go to Top of Page

gausssa

209 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  16:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope you guys don't mind me chiming in but i have to agree that pitching and defense will beat good hitting 80% of the time. I to had MAJOR teams from 2002-2008 and we won a tone of games 4-3, 3-1 and 5-4. Never was a team that was going to score 8-10 per game but our pitching was really good and our defense was solid.
Somebody said something about "chemistry". I agree with that and our kids never stepped on the field that they didn't "believe they could win against anybody..As far as "recruiting/building" weather some coach's do it ethical or not ethical the best teams get the best players more times than not. However, you can have the stable full of horses but if you don't have the right coach's driving the wagon teaching the fundamentals and how to play as a team what good is it.....

Edited by - gausssa on 11/01/2010 16:40:25
Go to Top of Page

Scoremore

18 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  11:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pitching is a must, if you plan on playing in large tournaments you need many pitchers.

On another note in regards to good coaching, maybe you don't see it on the teams you have been on but remember this, a "Great" team has great coaches, players and parents. Without all 3 you can't make it. Talent always needs coaching, if you think you can have a great team go far with just talent maybe that's why the team can't make it work. When people recruit, and many can based on who they are, it can be a recipe for disaster! When I say recruit I mean seek out the best of the best, promise them the world just to get them to come play for you. This type of team will only have problems since it will be a team made up of individuals playing for themselves and not playing as a team. A GREAT coach seeks players to build on their natural athletic abilities and polishes them to perfection. Great coaching doesn't all happen on the field, it is never ending. The making of a great team is teamwork, hard work and complete dedication from all. I also don't agree that it's all about the parents living through their children, it just wanting the best for your child. Playing with the best only makes your child better; it will push him to play hard all of the time and not get lazy. This will just make him better on and off the field. Hard work pays off!
Go to Top of Page

SSBuckeye

575 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  11:49:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice post, Scoremore!!!
Go to Top of Page

Gwinnett

791 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  15:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
S, can't wait to experience it!!!!! Our time will come... In the mean time we will be very patient and have lots of fun playing baseball!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000