New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CharlieHustle

11 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  13:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I apologize if my last reply came across as overly strong. As I stated earlier, I do appreciate all of the responses. Let me clarify a couple of points: the chants were most definitely not taught or encouraged by the coaches. (I found out later that a kid that was not a regular on our team started the pepper chant). This was a one time isolated incident, not a regular occurence. As I also stated, I hate all of the chants - my head rings from them after the games. I talked to the kids about chants, and we agreed that if you would not like it done to you, then don't do it to someone else. We will not allow any chants that are can be viewed as distracting. Thanks again for all of the feedback.
Go to Top of Page

coach0512

123 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  15:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a kid in our dugout at the last game who would jump on a plastic water bottle just as the pitcher was coming down from his wind up. I thought it was not on purpose the first three times but then had to tell him to knock it off as it became obvious what he was doing. We had a discussion with all the players after the game that we would leave the noise making and chatter to the classless teams.
Go to Top of Page

nastycurve

244 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  21:20:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tell my boys two things...

1. If you feel like talking, don't, just whip the other team. Actions speak much louder than words.

2. If the other team is talking and you dont like it, you can shut them up by whipping them.

I played multiple sports through high school, and trash talk has always been and always will be part of sports. Its not that big of a deal in my opinion. The easiest way to shut it up is to play well. I was at a middle school game where a coach put a very large, sloooow throwing kid on the mound. The opposing team cracked jokes and made noises while he warmed up. He got them to out 1-2-3. The jokes and noises stopped.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  21:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point nasty. Last year, my sons HS team was playing. The other team was winning, scored 5 runs in an inning and a third. They brought my son in - he is a small guy, 5'9", sophmore at the time - and the other team was really heckling him and trash talking. Well, he went the next 5 2/3 giving up 1 hit, 1 run and 7 K's. They shut up pretty quickly. So, some of the trash talking goes on even at the varsity level. Some teams are worse than others. It's still not the same as the chants and timely distractions, but there can be a lot of razzing and the best way to stop it is to shut them down.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000