New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

oldschooldad

203 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  14:02:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What tournaments are folks planning to enter this season? There has been alot of talk about possible boycotts and problems with some events and different TDs in the past. Just wondering which events and tourney teams are going to actually enter? Will USSSA events have fewer teams?

jay

177 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  16:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Triple Crown. I'd never play anywhere else if they had a tournament somewhere every week. Tony's definitely earned my loyalty over the years. I know when I'm in one of his events, I'm going to get a mix of high level teams and mid level teams and most importantly there isn't going to be any mystery. I don't know how Tony does it; I guess he stays up all night calling teams to fill his tournaments and he fills 'em. Probably rolling up the age groups helps I suspect other than running a good tournament.

Played in a couple non-TCS events last year; Bubba's was very good; just don't have a long enough track record to firmly commit to his events (yet). The other was a Nations event and it was so so. It had some interesting aspects (i.e. Text msg's) which seemed good on paper, but I was INUNDATED with text msg's and ultimately didn't get the one that I really needed (more on that later). In any event, with me the jury's still out on the text msg's. I reserve the right to decide if it's a good idea. No matter, what I really hate the most is mystery and minefields and Nations unwittingly added both. I doubt they intended to, but the road to the down under is "paved" with the stuff. What happened was I got a "consolation" game. What the ???? I haven't had a consolation game since we were 9!!! Who on Earth plays consolation games I asked?!?!?! Well Nations and Perfect Game as it turns out. That's just another reason I'm not fired up about Perfect Game either; so, Triple Crown stays at the top of the stack. Perfect Game could be more "perfect" by losing the consolation game and doing multiple one and outs instead ... well like TCS actually. Can't say I thought thru that completely. So, Perfect may have it right all along and decided there were just two equally 'good' ways to go and settled on consolation games. I will say that Perfect Game did handle the consolation game better than Nations. I suspect there reasoning is to 'guarantee' more games which is a great idea I must admit. They also made a few silly mistakes although they did make it up. However, if you're going to be "perfect" you probably shouldn't be making those rookie mistakes. We'll still play a good amount of Perfect Game events though because that's going to give us a better out of state mix than Triple Crown.

So, a quick rating...

Triple Crown (no one's in their league for local events; even though they're not technically local)

Perfect Game (great for the older kids, but still a close second)

USSSA, Nations, Opens, etc. (USSSA's losing ground, Nations's gaining, Opens are a mix, but all of these groups typically only have a few teams. USSSA'd really be in trouble if not for the SNIT's though.)

Edited by - jay on 09/06/2010 20:29:47
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  17:20:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In early March,you can always bank on the Forsyth Slugfest to draw 100+ local teams if you care to challenge the weather Gods. It has not had a good track record for weather.

USSSA's S-NIT always draws 100+ teams, and the main draw here is out of State teams and a birth to the Elite 32 in Disney.

Then there's all the Triple Crown events that always draw a crowd, including the February Frost and March Madness.

After these tourney's, its a good time to assess where your team falls in the grander scheme of things and adjust accordingly.
Go to Top of Page

Thunder

72 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  07:21:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the endorsement Moser. We're counting on the weather gods to provide us with great weather again this year like we had last year.

In 2010, with our 196 teams, this tournament contributed $26,374 to our charities which is the largest donation that we have ever made.

The 2011 Tournament will be held on March 4th - 6th.

www.leaguelineup.com/slugfest
Go to Top of Page

jay

177 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  14:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oversite on my part. I'd certainly agree that the slugfest is another one of those well run tournaments with a good mix of teams.
Go to Top of Page

oldschooldad

203 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  14:55:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone considering passing on the Slugfest this year? Last year there was ALOT of talk about the umpiring in most age groups. Will that be addressed this season. Great event but possibly poor weather and even worse umpiring could impact teams signing up.

Go to Top of Page

clg003

79 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  16:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Such blind devotion to the most expensive tournaments out there (triple crown?). Why do they need to charge 200 dollars more than other sanctions? USTBA was the hands down favorite of mine until they got a divorce. They were budget minded and well run and provided the baseballs. You just cant beat that.
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  16:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I think Shannon Ivey's tournaments that he runs in the Winder area are by far the best tournaments around. He has gone out of his way to help our teams get games rescheduled and I have seen him go out of his way to make sure his tourneys have the best teams around in them. The umpires aren't horrible (MUCH MUCH better than ATPP) and the only time I ever saw a real issue with an umpire Shannon personally took care of the issue. I hear he is going to do a couple really big tourney's next year and I can guarantee that he will make sure that the best teams around will be there, he seems to always try and offer the best teams from GA as well as surrounding states a spot.
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  21:51:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baseball Papa had as much to say about the umpiring and the site director at the 12U site than most anyone but I can honestly say that after talking with the overall director of the Slugfest that I fully believe that both issues will be addressed. I hope the Bandits are free and the first to sign up for the opportunity to assist this event and especially the charity it supports. My main concern will be that no site director has a team involved at the site he is directing.
Go to Top of Page

10 BB

264 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  00:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Tony V. does a great job also but I couldn't agree more with Spartan4 on his entire post. Shannon Ivey is by far the best TD us Florida boys have ever played for! He is at the top of my list for best director in the country. By the way is that good enough to get a break on the $$$ due for the next tournament, Shannon? LOL!!!! Seriously, If you haven't played in a Superior Baseball Event it's worth your time. You will not be disappointed!!
Go to Top of Page

titans

94 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  08:00:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Spartan4 about Shannon Ivey. He works the phones real hard trying to get the best teams to his tournaments, and does his best to work around scheduling conflicts. In his tournament last month in Winder, we had the best umpires we have seen in years, and the filds were dragged before every game. Shannon is always on site, and will make the effort to talk to the coaches during the weekend to see if they need anything. We have always had a great experience at his events.
Go to Top of Page

Foul Territory

32 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  09:41:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thunder: I'm assuming you're the tournament director/coordinator for the Slugfest Event?

You mentioned the great contribution the event gives to charity; an awesome selfless effort by the way!!! Why assume over $6,000 in operating expenses to USSSA? Does Georgia USSSA Baseball sanction event for free? It'd be a great gesture and reflection of their commitment to youth baseball in our state if they do that.

I don't think it's necessary to sanction the event through USSSA...most teams participating aren't USSSA diehards. I don't think teams are participating because it's USSSA. No one even refers to it as a USSSA NIT. Most ask are "yall playing in the slugfest this season?"

Please give us forum readers insight to your ties to USSSA. Would you consider sanctioning the event with the sanctioning body the majority of teams want?

One idea is when teams send their entry fee ask them to put the sanctioning body they want in the memo line and post their choice next to their team name on your committed teams page on the web site...majority rules.

I'm sure most would select open/non-sanctioned and rather see all funds possible go to operating expenses and profits to the Miracle League.

Edited by - Foul Territory on 09/08/2010 20:36:45
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  11:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will chime in on Shannon Ivey and the Superior Baseball Events. Great tournaments and Shannon is always there asking for ways to improve his tournaments.
Go to Top of Page

ATPP

342 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  14:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have hosted several Nations events this fall and really like working with this organization. There website is easy to navigate and schedule and ranking postings are done promptly. We have several more Nations events this fall and plan to run Nations Tournaments at ATPP next year as well. See you at the park.
Go to Top of Page

Peanutsr

171 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  15:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am curious as to why , if someone likes playing in Triple Crown tournaments, that you call it "blind devotion". I asked my son which tournaments he liked playing in and he said his favorite by far was Triple Crown. That is just an 11/12 year olds opinion. If those are the tournaments he enjoys most then that is good enough for me.
quote:
Originally posted by clg003

Such blind devotion to the most expensive tournaments out there (triple crown?). Why do they need to charge 200 dollars more than other sanctions? USTBA was the hands down favorite of mine until they got a divorce. They were budget minded and well run and provided the baseballs. You just cant beat that.

Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  20:51:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fact is, if teams felt they did not get at least their money's worth (organization, facilities, umpires, and competition) they would not keep coming back. TC is paying for better facilities and better umps. There is a cost associated with that. 50 - 100 teams per tournament prove that is true.
Go to Top of Page

Thunder

72 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  22:47:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Foul Territory, I am the Slugfest Tournament Director.

You are correct that as a tournament, one of our operating expenses, and one of our largest, are the USSSA fees. These fees include the NIT event/sanction fee and the per team fee. You are in the neighborhood when you estimate $6000 to USSSA. I do not foresee an opportunity that those fees would be waived, in total or even partially.

While your idea of asking teams about a sanctioning preference would be ideal, from a logistics standpoint, its not practical. I say that because we have teams entering the tournament right up to the deadline. As a tournamnet director, I aim to be open with communication and information. I would want teams to know in advance what they are signing up for. I'm not about trying to get teams into the tournament and then trying to hold them hostage.

As a tournament, we have discussed what direction we should go in terms of sanctioning body and affiliation.

Seems like a good opportunity to throw the question out there to see what the opinions are. Would teams play if this was a non-sanctioned event? USSSA event? Triple Crown event? Nations Baseball event?

Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  01:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peanutsr

I totally agree without you. To call it blind devotion is to suggest that you have no other experience by which to compare. I believe that we all (especially based on the comments by all the loyalists regarding the various sanctioning bodies on this forum) have MUCH experience with USSSA, USTBA, TC, Nations, AAU, local park, etc., to voice a strong opinion with eyes wide open. The fact that you, and many others, are willing to pay a premium to play in Tony's events speaks volumes to the quality we demand and receive by voting with our $'s.

I guess if your opinion had been to endorse the cheapest sanctioning body out there your devotion wouldn't have been blind???
Go to Top of Page

baseballready

188 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  08:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding cost of Triple Crown vs other sanctions:
Last year Tony offered discounted pricing if your team registered for multiple tournaments by 12/31. Taking advantage of this discount makes his fees more on par with other sanctions and gives early commits to tourneys so they are even more likely to make. Tony posted earlier this Fall that he intends to offer similar discounting this year.
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  12:56:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't say that TC has better umpires.....but the facilities are much better than anywhere else...
Go to Top of Page

Foul Territory

32 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  12:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thunder: Thanks for the quick detailed reply to my post. I certainly respect your responses. You're right about the deadline issue potentially being problematic, I didn't consider that. I do appreciate you being open to teams interest too...it may be time for a change, we'll see.

It's no secret I have issues with USSSA, rating them worst sanctioning body in Georgia with the best web site...lol. A USSSA sanctioning tag most often kills my interest in any event not just the Slugfest.

Any sanctioning body that isn't willing to be part of a charity and offer concessions/discounts is gross, especially one that has cashed checks totalling close to $20,000 in the last four years. Another orgainization step up to continue to make this event a CLASSIC!

Thunder, through this forum your posts will echo a long way, and regardless sanctioning decision many will appreciate your consideration and we all thank you for your charitable acts.

My vote in non-sanctioning hoping all funds go towards the cause!!!
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  22:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baseball Papa also thinks that the Slugfest does not need to be sanctioned by any organization. The Slugfest is the Slugfest and when you announce when it is being played the teams will be there. It has always been one of my favorite events and I know that our team would be there regardless of the sanctioning body.

In years past the USSSA brand meant so much more than it does today. I think that it is obvious from reading the many posts on this forum that USSSA has gotten away from their basic principles and are focused more on the bottom line. What Tony and Triple Crown have done in Georgia should be a lesson to USSSA that quality events and nice venues and communication with the teams is what keeps the ship afloat.

After last year it is my humble opinion that without major changes that USSSA will continue to lose market share and the other organizations such as Triple Crown and Nations will pick up what they lose and continue to grow.

Edited by - baseballpapa on 09/09/2010 22:43:00
Go to Top of Page

rock44melnix

110 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  09:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a few things I look for in a signing up for a tournament, location, viability, number of teams, format(including pitching rules, time limits, pool play and bracket play set up), variety of teams (I am not a fan of seeing the same team weekend after weekend), fields/park condition, COST, and sanction.
I have grown to be an unhappy USSSA customer, if it weren't for the work that Bubba does, I don't know that I would do any USSSA events and going into 2011, we just may not do any. We started doing a couple Nations events and have found them to be pretty responsive and proactive which is pretty important in my book. Given the items I look for in a tournament listed above, USSSA has in my view, struggled to match what other sanctions and venues have done.
I love Triple Crown events because they fill with lots of teams (some times too many for a weekend) and because Tony does a great job of being there and being responsive even if he can't meet your requests. I would do a lot more of them if their cost weren't what they were but that is what it is, and we still do 3 or more every year. We did the Slugfest last year for the first time and the two years prior to that, I spent most of the weekends there watching. I was very disappointed last year not because it was USSSA, it was a number of things related to the cost and execution of it. I liked it better when it was an open format, umpiring in the past seemed to be much better than last year, but it just was my overall experience, and maybe it's because we participated v spectated. But, how can you argue with the merits of what the tournament is for...makes you want to be involved in it.
To some degree it is sanction related, but I think it is mostly up to the tournament director and their execution of their tournaments that truly matter and make the difference. An example for me is All Tournament Park, love the park itself, but absolutely do not like how they run tournaments there. It doesn't matter what sanction tournament it is, it's the folks running it. I have experienced them too often where what you sign up for and is promoted is not always the way it is run once it begins.

In the end, I think it's all about good fields/venues, fair pricing that provides for a solid return for your investment, and most importantly, having tournament directors show some effort in being visible, listening and being proactive and responsive.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  11:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think what we have are strong variations in how sanctioning organizations have their tournaments run. Tony does all the TC tournaments but Bubba does a small number of the USSSA events. Most of the positive comments for TC are around how well Tony runs the tournaments and draws teams, not about the TC rules and organization itself. Most of the complaints about USSSA are around how the tournaments are ran and not as much about the organization rules or what information they provide. Whether people like it or not, the reputation of an organization is built by the people who are running the tournaments, not by the people in the background. If USSSA wants to improve their image, they need to certify tournament directors and only let those host tournaments. That way they can regulate the perception. Otherwise they will always be subject to ridicule for how a TD represents them.
Go to Top of Page

10 BB

264 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  11:22:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rock44melnix;

You said "In the end, I think it's all about good fields/venues, fair pricing that provides for a solid return for your investment, and most importantly, having tournament directors show some effort in being visible, listening and being proactive and responsive."

If this is the case then Shannon Ivey is the TD for you, He will work for 6 months to make one tournament worth all the expectations of one weekends experience and for very little profit. It has been said on this board that TD's are in it for the $$$ it is a business. This is true for alot of TD's but Mr. Ivey is in it for the love of baseball. He himself has traveled all over the WORLD and played in many tournaments with his two sons. He knows what it takes to make him come back and wishes to put that out to every team that competes in his tournaments. He also has contacts from Texas to Florida, Califonia to Tennessee and everywhere in-between. He will help kids that are looking to go the distance in grabbing that dream that some kids so desire. Ivey for President,Governor or something, he's got my vote!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  13:43:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
10BB,
I agree that Shannon is a great TD and will bend over backwards to make sure teams have a great experience.

This goes to my point that the TD's are the face to any organization.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000