General Discussion
 Travel Teams for Spring 2011
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bsballmom

4 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  14:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there travel teams during the Spring for HS players that don't want to play with their HS team?

Rocky

290 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  13:38:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most kids tend to play with their hs teams during the school season then after that is over, they may play with their high school teams in Summer ball or choose to play with another travel team. Some coaches frown upon this but I think it depends on each individual case. Why would someone not want to play on their hs team?
Go to Top of Page

bsballmom

4 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  20:23:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
His high school team is not competitive and is very political. Looking for an alternative to keep his skills up.
Go to Top of Page

BREAMKING

323 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  00:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he can make the high school team he should do that. Summer ball at that age because almost a hassle to play. Besides High school ball is more fun than summer ball at least it always was for me.
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

421 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  14:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome to high school ball, anyone who thought politics stopped in travel ball is crazy. MOney and climbing the booster ladder is what counts
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  19:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by teddy41

welcome to high school ball, anyone who thought politics stopped in travel ball is crazy. MOney and climbing the booster ladder is what counts

I get tired of hearing that. You only have to do that if your not good enough. If your kid is a stud, it won't matter. Go out, play hard show the coaches you are good enough to play and it will work out.
Go to Top of Page

atlbaseball

17 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  22:24:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I get tired of hearing that. You only have to do that if your not good enough. If your kid is a stud, it won't matter. Go out, play hard show the coaches you are good enough to play and it will work out.

Wish you were right but there are quite a few idiot HS coaches out there that write off talented kids for many reasons...a very good example this year of local kid (whose dad played years in Bigs) that went in 1st round that had to change schools because of an idiot coach too caught up in his own insecurities.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  09:13:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by atlbaseball

quote:

Wish you were right but there are quite a few idiot HS coaches out there that write off talented kids for many reasons...a very good example this year of local kid (whose dad played years in Bigs) that went in 1st round that had to change schools because of an idiot coach too caught up in his own insecurities.

I don't know the whole story there either. Maybe the kid was arrogant and felt he was entitled to a spot because his dad was a MLB guy. Maybe the dad was a PITA and the coach just didn't want to deal with him. There could be a million reasons why.

Remember, I said play hard, show the coaches you are good enough to play and it will work out. Maybe being an arrogant jerk doesn't fit into that equasion. Like I said, I don't know what happened, but I seriously doubt this kid was a stud with a great attitude and non intrusive parents and the kid just got cut for no reason. I can only think something must have been going on.

I know there are idiot coaches out there. I know there are kids who get cut who a lot of people think shouldn't have gotten cut. I also know if you have a kid come in that is an obvious STUD, if his attitude is good and he has good parents, there is nothing to worry about. If you are middle of the pack, maybe as good or a little better than most out there, the extras can't hurt.
Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  11:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your son truely as a top player, is he better off on the high school team or on a high level travel team? What gives him a better chance at playing college ball?
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  12:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My opinion is a High School team during the HS season and a High Level travel team in the summer. First of all, there is no travel activity going on during the HS season. Besides that, college seasons are going on during the HS season. I have seen scouts at HS games, but it is usually because they have a kid on their radar and they are in the area for one of their games.

In the summer, scouts come to showcase tournaments to see kids play because they can see a lot of kids at once. Usually the better kids are on the top level travel teams, so that is who they go to see. Sorry, but HS teams in the summer just don't compare. Even if the HS plays in the same events, more than likely, scouts will not come to see that team play. You may get lucky and play a very good travel team that the scouts are there to see, but you better really stand out on a losing team.

That is what I have seen and it is JMHO. Others may feel differently.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  12:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DecaturDad

If your son truely as a top player, is he better off on the high school team or on a high level travel team? What gives him a better chance at playing college ball?

I don't know, but most HS players' parents that I have talked to have said that the HS team is a far higher priority. They might just be thinking about what is important to the player today, but the school trumps the travel team hands down.

I guess it depends on your definition of "better off". The Lassiter Seniors that just barely avoided being the first Lassiter class to not play in a State Championship game since 1992 probably don't care as much about when the last time the Astros/Titans/Longhorns/Mudsharks won the Elite 32 as they do about their legacy at their school.
And they probably weren't that worried about whether or not the Clemson scouts were watching their games with Harrison.

As far as I know, all the top players do both, so it's not really either/or.
Go to Top of Page

atlbaseball

17 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  13:33:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't know the whole story there either. Maybe the kid was arrogant and felt he was entitled to a spot because his dad was a MLB guy. Maybe the dad was a PITA and the coach just didn't want to deal with him. There could be a million reasons why.

Remember, I said play hard, show the coaches you are good enough to play and it will work out. Maybe being an arrogant jerk doesn't fit into that equasion. Like I said, I don't know what happened, but I seriously doubt this kid was a stud with a great attitude and non intrusive parents and the kid just got cut for no reason. I can only think something must have been going on.

I know there are idiot coaches out there. I know there are kids who get cut who a lot of people think shouldn't have gotten cut. I also know if you have a kid come in that is an obvious STUD, if his attitude is good and he has good parents, there is nothing to worry about. If you are middle of the pack, maybe as good or a little better than most out there, the extras can't hurt.

I think we agree that there are kids and HS coaches with attitudes and inflated egos. Be careful you don't automatically place blame on the kid or the parents...
I have seen 1st hand many situations with those "stud " players where a coach is very much in the wrong. It is amazing how those kids that you want to label as a problem can go off to another program and gel with the team, coaching staff and go on to do well in college or the draft.
Go to Top of Page

oldmanmj

191 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  22:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every school, every coach, every player and every parent is different. Each one has a specific agenda. Most Elite players do not play High School Summer baseball. Say what you want, they do not even work out with their school. Go to a summer high school game and then go to an elite travel game. No comparison in any way. The boys that play school summer ball are hoping to show well, so that at tryouts during the school season they have built enough browny points with the coach. Not one GA boy that was selected in the MLB draft played for their high school in the summer. Different priority. Fact, only a handful of coaches even promote their players to colleges. Scouts do not ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!go to a summer high school game, never!!!!!!!!!!!! Are travel ball parents snobs, yes some of them are, but the reality of it is, if your want to play at the next level, you have to put your self in a place to be seen. Some premier school programs do not have summer ball because 90% of their players are busy getting better playing elite travel ball. Summer ball at the school- can we say "FUND RAISER" -equal to "PAY TO PLAY", the more you put in, the better your odds to make the team and watch everyone else play. Ouch, sorry that was so harsh the truth hurts!
Go to Top of Page

bsballmom

4 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  20:46:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I know from experience that even though my son is talented he is not getting the playing time because of politics. Its sad to say that when my son started jacking balls over the fence on the pitching coach he got his feelings hurt. Its sad, but true. And to make matters even worse, the HS team is never made it to the playoffs or had a winning season. There several kids that have had to leave the HS.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000