General Discussion
 Homeruns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chattabb15

33 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  00:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I watched major 11u and 12u teams play this weekend on small fields. Needless to say, some games were "homerun derby". In one of the match ups, I noticed that one team celebrated each and every homerun with all the players running out of the dugout, having a party on the field over and over and over again. The opposing team hit even more homeruns yet nobody ever stepped foot out of the dugout and there was no big party over them. I love to see homeruns as much as the next guy but on those short fields it didn't seem impressive enough to justify the time wasted through these celebrations on the field. Do the coaches tell kids to go out of the dugout and congratulate their teammates for homeruns or if players do this on their own? As for the team who didn't celebrate all the homeruns, I wonder if the coaching staff told them not to do all of that?

rjrousseau1

81 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  10:15:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3 years ago when I coached a 12&U team we played 1 tournament before Cooperstown on a "Cooperstown" type short field... now it seems to be the norm in 12&U unless you are at ECB as so many teams use HS softball fields as their home field.

The "tick tock" chant and then everyone falls down when the batter crosses home plate is the celebration I hate the most. In a 12&U game last weekend we gave up a 1st inning HR on a maybe 190 ft fence and witnessed that one... one of our kids hit a walk off HR in the bottom of the 6th to win the game and our kids waited 10-15 ft away from home plate then patted the HR hitter on the helmet & back, had some jumping up and down excitement away from home plate, and lined up at 1B to shake hands with the other team.

Rising 12&U teams... as a rule of thumb, if the batter hits a ball in the gap to the fence it should be a relatively easy stand up double. If it's a single because the fence is to close then your home field is too small.
Go to Top of Page

BREAMKING

323 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  17:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate that tick tock thing also when will the kids start to police this type of thing. I guess when girls start showing up watching the games maybe 13. I did see something funny the other day. Team was in a group chanting before the game like basketball or football. The other team was warming up. After warm ups all the kids met at the pitchers mound and really loudly started doing it saying who do we beat cheerleaders. They proceeded to drill them and everybody watching just about died laughing. I do not get why a baseball team would do this. I am the type guy that is under the impression that anything that happens outside the lines has no outcome on the game what so ever but I think I am in the minority on this stuff. My how baseball has changed since my days. Seems to be worse at the major level than AAA or AA or rec. ball. Also at major 11u level has seen a kid being knocked in by a homer bend down and clean the plate for the kid that hit the homer.

Edited by - BREAMKING on 06/08/2010 19:38:59
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  22:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do the kids think!
Go to Top of Page

BravesFan

533 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  09:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It all in good fun and as long as their not crossing the line with sportsmanship then whats the big deal? Even with a 200ft fence, this might be the first time some of these kids hit home runs so let them have their 10 seconds of fun and move on.

I think most are being too petty about the whole thing, as long as the kids are having fun, nothing else should be a concern.
Go to Top of Page

rjrousseau1

81 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  07:59:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's having fun, and there's showing up the other team and pitcher, which used to mean something, and I guess still does to those who coach respect for the game and their opponent, but doesn't mean anything to those who don't coach respect.
Go to Top of Page

BBall123

395 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  21:03:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come on ?? Let the kids have fun! I have not seen any thing that would be considered showing up the other team or pitcher this year.
When my son hit his 4th of the day last saturday, the other boys on the team was much more excited than he was. You should have heard them in the dugout, pure unhindered joy and excitement ,
Thats what its about, thats why we play this game we all love. for that emotion right there, if a homerun makes it happen hey im cheering right along with them.
I hope each boy gets the chance to have that feeling at least once.
Go to Top of Page

atlbaseball

17 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  23:18:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let the kids celebrate the "game"...remember it is still a game. They do it at every level of this game, not sure why we are trying to over analyze it here.
If we are not too careful we as parents can ruin it for them by taking the pure emotion and fun out of it.
Next it will childish to hold kangaroo court, give kids the silent treatment or vacate the dugout during their first homerun!
Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  09:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tend to think this is more age related than anything else. Seems to wear off by the time they hit 14 or 15...some sooner some later. In older age groups, seems like they really on ly celebrate walk off home runs vs. the everyday run of the mill home run ! I also think the more home runs a team hits, the less they celebrate.

For now, if it's not done poorly, I say let the kids celebrate !!!!
Go to Top of Page

BREAMKING

323 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  11:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Celebrating raw emotion is great tick tock bomb chant is premeditated. To me there is a huge difference. I never want the raw emotion to go away in sports it is whats kids play for as they get older.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000