DoubleD

33 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  00:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.leaguelineup.com/welcome.asp?url=2010tournamentofchampions
Go to Top of Page

diamonddad

59 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  07:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.leaguelineup.com/welcome.asp?cmenuid=1&url=2010tournamentofchampions&sid=743735157

quote:
Originally posted by Strike 2

Any scores from today?

Go to Top of Page

NC State

1 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  11:51:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GBC beat the Astros this morning 6-3 in pool play
Go to Top of Page

diamonddad

59 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  18:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can someone please tell me why keeping the brackets updated continues to be an issue at 13U East Cobb run tournaments? The bracket hasn't been updated with any winners or game scores since pool play ended.

quote:
Originally posted by diamonddad

http://www.leaguelineup.com/welcome.asp?cmenuid=1&url=2010tournamentofchampions&sid=743735157

quote:
Originally posted by Strike 2

Any scores from today?

Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  10:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the brutal truth to the continued question about keeping scores updated on-line for EC tournaments.

Most tournaments there are not hosted by people who do that for a living. They are not eqipped with a trailer, laptop, and a wireless internet air card. They are mostly trying to get the games conducted and deal with any on-site issues.

Tony with Triple Crown does a great job because he does this for a living and has the proper set-up to do it.

If you were hosting a tournament at EC, how would you keep the scores updated? What is your suggestion to TD's on how to make this happen?

I have thought of suggesting East Cobb partner with Boingo or one of the other internet providers to offer wireless service people can subscribe to while there, like the ATL Airport does. That way a TD can purchase wireless service ($9.99 for the weekend or something like that)without having to try to purchase a wireless air card or borrow someones.

The alternative is to sub out to professional tournament directors who are equipped for those types of updates. Then that eliminates the ability for teams to do any fundraising for their teams.
Go to Top of Page

Gold Glove

129 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  15:09:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alter Ego,

Very well said and a great suggestion! Mayce ECB could get a wireless router and charge the TD $10 and it would pay for itself in a couple of months.
Go to Top of Page

scottwill311

52 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  16:14:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just start a new topic on this NWBA website and post results. Heck, Stan may be able to come up with a tourney spreadsheet the TD's can use. With the technology of today, no excuse for lack of communication.
Go to Top of Page

in_the_know

985 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  16:21:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They can't keep their scoreboards working. How do you expect them to maintain a wireless network?!?!
Go to Top of Page

playthegame

34 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  16:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if i happen to be a betting person i bet ecb has wireless up in the house on the hill , am i wrong?
Go to Top of Page

tn3sport

28 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  17:02:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quick fix, no cost... (while looking into a more permanent solution)

Just open an ID on twitter.com and send a text page to your account with significant updates (scores, rain delays, etc.) Make your ID something like ECBaseball and put a static link on your website that links to the twitter updates.
It costs nothing and viewers don't have to have an account to look at the updates. You know the guy that updates the brackets at the field with a pencil/pen? He could send a text page periodically when ever he walks over to update the pool/bracket sheets posted at the fields.
Been doing this for a few years tracking adventure racers on multi-day races. Surprisingly simple and no costs except owning a cell phone...
Go to Top of Page

ECB_13U_Dad

3 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  17:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have run many tournaments as tournament director for various teams over the years, including 12+ team tournaments at East Cobb when rain was an issue. It is simply not hard at all to keep it up-to-date. Also, the fact that East Cobb has any scoreboards that don't work is ridiculous. It seems that at every tournament there is one that is out. At this one, it was the main field scoreboard on ECB Field 5.
Go to Top of Page

stanlewis

545 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  17:58:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See this post.

www.nwgabaseball.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9261

Not a single request.
Go to Top of Page

OffSpeed

40 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  21:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AlterEgo makes a great observation that local tournaments are run by professional like TC have the tools to set very high standards on tournament updates. Tournaments ran at East Cobb, Acworth, Hobgood, Sandy Plains, or any other local park where updates are made by individual teams (Team moms and dads) many times suffer. Making this sound like an East Cobb issue is simply Moose Turds. In the past several weeks there have been a couple tournaments that have been run by the same 13U team at East Cobb that apparently are technologically challenged. This drives me crazy as well. I think it is time to start patronizing those teams that can give you what you want in Tournament Management. I have ran 2 tournaments at East Cobb this year and was able to use my iPhone to post scores from the diamond within minutes of game completions.

Running a tournament is much more than being able to gather a handful of teams and rake a couple of fields. Teams, Coaches, Parents and fans expect good communication and fast results. Time to step it up a bit or be prepared to be the only one at your party.

Edited by - OffSpeed on 06/07/2010 22:33:03
Go to Top of Page

Strike 2

61 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  21:56:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sooooo. Who won the tournament? Did they finish it? Brackets still empty.
Go to Top of Page

patent pending

66 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  10:45:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GA Roadrunners won . They looked strong all weekend .
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  11:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tn3sport,
I like that idea. I have not thought about using Twitter. That is a great option for those that don't have an iphone in their pocket, or a laptop and aircard in their bag.
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  13:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If East Cobb is not careful they will begin to lose the reputation that has been developed over the years. At one time East Cobb was the nicest venue around and it is still nice but there are many other venues with nicer fields especially the lower East Cobb fields. Teams are paying a lot of money to play and they have many fans that can't be there and want to be updated quickly and in today's age that is not that hard to do. It was my weekend with the 11 year old and I was very frustrated not knowing how the 13 year old was doing.

The option is simple and shouldn't be hard to accomplish. If East Cobb cannot step up to the plate and deliver then the teams can go somewhere that will. Papa loves East Cobb and has always been a supporter but come on this can't be that hard.
Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  16:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We play out of ECB and I am frustrated as well ! Although I'm not as technologically proficient as "papa", I do know how to turn the computer on and navigate to a website....sure would be nice if the website was updated and kept current. I don't know how it's done but I know it can't be that hard if it's made a priority...which I guess was the real problem. That's not ECB but the folks running the tournament. The scoreboards not working has been an ongoing problem of the facility and ECB. Not sure what the solution is but I hope they never paid the last bill of the contractor / vendor who installed it cause it hasn't worked right since it was installed.

Pending those frustrations, the venue is incredible and the tournament was some of the best 13U baseball I've seen anywhere. Although I observed some "boorish" behaviour by some parents, I did not see any athletes do anything except impress the heck out of me !!!! Congrats to Road Runners for taking the "ship" and congrats to everyone else who participated and impressed the heck out of me !!!! All I can say is WOW !!!
Go to Top of Page

artevans

83 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  18:24:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delay. The results are now posted.
Go to Top of Page

bambino_dad

119 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  19:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My issue is the scoreboards. Seems that more often than not as of late, something's the matter with them. Can it be that hard to fix 'em? Just asking out loud what people are already joking about.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000