New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  12:45:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear you about the Coaches but in defense of the game itself I think just like in anything else that there are not many Coaches that would jeopardize a kid for the sake of a win. Are there some out there, I am sure that they are and if you happen to be associated with a Coach that is not watching out for the best interests of your son then it is your responsibility as a parent to make sure he does and if that means saying SAYONARA or ADIOS then so be it.
Go to Top of Page

mrbama31

252 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  13:43:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't believe coaches jeopardize kids intentionally..but I do believe that coaches can and do push the limits to the amount kids can endure in any given weekend. And for that kid that loves to pitch and his on a team that NEEDS him on the mound each weekend throwing his MAX innings combined with playing in the field of every game..it can and will catch up to them in 1 form or another.
Go to Top of Page

Tribe

82 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  14:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had to chime in on this one. Glad to say that after 8 years of baseball, we've never had a coach who wasn't protective of young arms. I have seen opposing pitchers overused on occasions, but even those instances are few and far between.
Having said that, allow me to reiterate that bad mechanics can be worse than high pitch counts in causing injury. Parents, get an objective evaluation of your pitcher's form and delivery. 90 pitches with great mechanics is less dangerous than 20 pitches with poor mechanics.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  14:45:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tribe

90 pitches with great mechanics is less dangerous than 20 pitches with poor mechanics.

Tribe, I wouldn't go that far, but I agree with everything else you said. Mechanics are very important. Improper mechanics over the long haul will cause injury faster. 90 pitches is a lot for the young players we are mostly talking about here - even with good mechanics.
Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  14:57:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said GW !
Go to Top of Page

ItsjustLLBBall

119 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  22:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To use a pitcher on all three days of a tournament is crazy. Arms at that age were not meant to be stressed like that. Then to use a pitcher multiple times in one day for more than 20-30 pitches each time is even crazier. 12 year old arms were definitely not meant to be stressed like that. Then to use a pitcher 2 out of 3 days and multiple times in those days is crazy. Professional baseball players rarely pitch three days in a row, rule of thumb for relievers is two days on and a day off and sometimes 3 on and one off, but again, they are fully grown and have no growing left to do. A 12 year old, or younger for that matter, should not ever come close to his innings allowed limit in a 3 day tournament.
Go to Top of Page

mrbama31

252 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  09:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ItsjustLLBBall

To use a pitcher on all three days of a tournament is crazy. Arms at that age were not meant to be stressed like that. Then to use a pitcher multiple times in one day for more than 20-30 pitches each time is even crazier. 12 year old arms were definitely not meant to be stressed like that. Then to use a pitcher 2 out of 3 days and multiple times in those days is crazy. Professional baseball players rarely pitch three days in a row, rule of thumb for relievers is two days on and a day off and sometimes 3 on and one off, but again, they are fully grown and have no growing left to do. A 12 year old, or younger for that matter, should not ever come close to his innings allowed limit in a 3 day tournament.

And to add to this playing a position in Saturdays games after pitching Friday is NOT a day off..You might can count it as 1/2 day off if it was not Catcher.
Go to Top of Page

ecbstix

115 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  10:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some teams use the "Get sent home on Saturday" approach!
Go to Top of Page

ItsjustLLBBall

119 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  10:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And coaches also forget to include the 5 pitches between each inning, which we know is some cases is more than that, then the 20-30 pitches he throws before coming in. So when your superstar 12 year old throws 80 pitches in a 5 inning game, he has actually thrown 130 pitches with all the warm ups not to mention the fact like MrBama said, he has either most likely played in the field for three other games and most likely will play in the field in upcoming games. This is the age pitchers are made, you need to develope pitchers that might not be your studs, that is of course if you are willing to take risks and not just have to win at all costs, and we all know that is very hard for some.

Scott C Ryder 12U RoadRunners
Go to Top of Page

ecbstix

115 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  11:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is why some teams carry enough kids to keep them from coming off the mound and playing another pos. Some teams also use their pitchers as catchers, that has to be way to much throwing.
Go to Top of Page

oldschooldad

203 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  15:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any league or associations ever use pitch count to limit the use of pitchers? We all know LL uses this system but any one heard of it in travel ball?
Go to Top of Page

bruins1

32 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  15:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ItsJustLL --Ive got to agree with you on this one. Having three or four pitchers maxing out innings this early is not smart. Gotta think those pitchers are not all that effective in the later innings either. I'm not a coach but I can bet its easy to get caught up in the moment and want to keep your big guys out there. Still not the right move. Better answer it to develop your defense and teach pitchers how to throw ground balls and routine fly balls. Less pitches anyway.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000