General Discussion
 Team hopping impact on youth
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  19:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't matter anymore Sox is made up of Tigers, Marlins and other teams. The Braves coach is now the Angels coach and the Sox are a completely different team now with mix from Marlins and Tigers.

What message does this send to our youth?

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  22:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just win, baby.
Go to Top of Page

12uCoach

357 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  07:13:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
None. Travel ball is a business. Only thing that has an effect on kids is when you cut a kid, and depending on the parents reaction, it may never be remembered.
Go to Top of Page

coachdan06

433 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  12:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 12uCoach

None. Travel ball is a business. Only thing that has an effect on kids is when you cut a kid, and depending on the parents reaction, it may never be remembered.

12uCoach I agree if you mean MLB is a business rather than travel ball

The kids at the age where they see the players moving around so much , they also know how much money these guys are making and connect the dots themselves.

Over years we have seen that it is the disgruntled often unreasonable minded parents who move the kids around anyway not the players themselves as is in MLB and the kids realize this too
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  12:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coach Dan,
That is a rather big blanket to cast on why people move teams. I agree with your statement that travel baseball is not the same business that MLB is.

I think there are many people who move to better their kid's situation which are logical moves. I have often recommended people move if they wanted more than "Just playing with my friends.." and met one of the two criteria.

1) Was head level better than the rest of the kids on the team. In this case, it is difficult for the player to get the practice and game development they need. Many of the drills in practice will be geared toward bringing the other players along, many of which may not be ready for advanced drills.

or

2) The player is at the bottom of the depth chart and not getting enough game time experience to continue to develop. Baseball is a game that has to be played to contiinue to develop. You can only do so much bullpen pitching, or cage batting. You need to face live batters and live pitchers.

There are kids that fall into the both of these, that get frustrated with their situation. They just have to figure out which is more important, continuing to develop or staying and playing with their friends. The answer is different for every kid. As parents all we can do is listen to them to see what they truly want.

Player 1 needs to be challenged more, and able to work on the skills that will help him improve, while player 2 needs to get more playing time and work on their necessary skills.

The key, though, is to pick a team where you don't go from #1 to #2 or vice versa.

Edited by - Alter-Ego on 01/05/2010 21:39:56
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  13:41:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I won't make any judgement calls on this one. I will say that my son played on 3 travel teams from when he started at 12 and his current age of 16. He played on a 12 year old team and when the age change came about, he moved to the younger age of the same team (could call this one team). Played on that until the team disbanded after his 14yr. old season. He has played on the same team for 15 and now 16. You don't have to move around a ton to get good or play good competition. I am sure there are valid reasons for switching teams. We happened to have a good relationship with the coaching staff.

What you do need to be careful of is getting the reputation as a team jumper. Over the years, we have had the opportunity to take good players, but didn't because the family had the reputation of being a team jumper. Under the right circumstances, there is nothing wrong with switching teams after the season. However, no team will ever be perfect and there is something to be said for stability. At least in my humble opinion.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  15:53:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was actually a post on this forum about some local teams! I changed the team names to MLB teams to avoid making any judgments about the local teams' ever-changing landscape.

I moved my son a lot early on, and it eventually led us into a really nice situation. It was a good thing because he was tired of changing teams and parks. He initiated a couple of the changes, and I did the rest.

It taught him that people do not have to stay in less than optimal situations, but also that the grass isn't always greener, how players have different roles on teams...what's its like to be at the top middle and bottom of the skill pile. It showed him how each Coach is different, and how different parks' youth orgs are run. I think he learned that it takes added effort to bounce around, and earn respect on each team he played for. He learned look before you leap.

Go to Top of Page

12uCoach

357 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  19:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you actually talked to the kids? I spent 15 years doing this, my first group is now getting married an having kids, the second group just turned 21. They are not scarred, they don't even remember half the garbage the adults pulled, but they do remember the negatives spewed by the parents at the Adults.
Go to Top of Page

longhorn1

63 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  17:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not get it some time. From now (11 for us) these kids will play about 400 games before it really matters. It is all about player development.
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  19:22:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about developing young men? Does that matter? After all, baseball will become insignificant after age 18 for 90% of our boys

quote:
Originally posted by longhorn1

I do not get it some time. From now (11 for us) these kids will play about 400 games before it really matters. It is all about player development.

Edited by - bmoser on 01/07/2010 21:48:35
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

421 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  19:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when does it really matter? high school? college? pro? people act like youth travel doesnt matter but most if not all the kids will never play past high school, and why would high school matter more than youth? I have had kids in both and i can tell you seeing what goes on in school ball makes me think youth ball matters more
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  21:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
longhorn1,
Define "Before it really matters". I know kids that had they taken different routes earlier on, they would be in significantly different places now as they get ready for HS ball.
Go to Top of Page

beanball

222 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  09:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my experience anything under 13U is unimportant from a competitive POV. Building fundamentals, mechanics and basic strategies should be the priority not wins and losses. Playing competition better than you, not putting together the elite team should be the priority. Boys who dominate at the younger age, because of size, may not necessarily compete once the field gets bigger. On the other hand players that were on the smaller side grow, and sometimes because they had to work harder to keep up a few years ago now become the dominate players. Trees don’t grow to the sky. And those big boys 6’2”- 220+ boys @ 13 or 14 will have trouble getting on the field because they are too big and/or slow. I have witnessed this first hand.

The game is much different above 14U and only the dads will remember the 11U state championship. The boys have bigger fish to fry.
Go to Top of Page

BBall123

395 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  10:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the manager that constantly sheds players in search of better players not a version of a team hopper, no concern for the boys that he is supposedly trying to help,develop and care about? Just win Baby. Right ?
Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  10:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bmoser

Doesn't matter anymore Sox is made up of Tigers, Marlins and other teams. The Braves coach is now the Angels coach and the Sox are a completely different team now with mix from Marlins and Tigers.

What message does this send to our youth?

You asked what it says to our youth and I think what it says is this: 1 - That meaningful relationships don't matter....it's all about money, greed and me ! 2 - You don't have to honor your commitments ( many blow out while under contract and refuse to honor a contract THEY signed ! ). 3 - That your not playing a game because it's fun, your playing because it's a business. 4 - It doesn't matter, the fans will come anyway and support whoever performs at the highest level because they too have selfish motives. These same fans will turn on you in a heartbeat when you don't perform !

Is it any wonder why youth baseball is getting so "foul" ? When the hero's and adults, that these kids look to for leadership set this type of example and behave like idiots ( steroids, betting on games, pulling guns in the locker room, substance abuse etc.), what else would we expect ? What about parents cussing and fighting at youth sporting events ?

Enjoy your kids youth baseball for what it is and not what YOU want it to be. More importantly, let THEM enjoy THEIR sporting youth and childhood.
Go to Top of Page

6bomber

68 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  21:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I realize that our team has been fairly lucky with turnover.
Most of our problems have been a related to a parent not happy
how there son is being utilized (position,batting order,pitching)
My son has always played outfield and batted down in the order(since 7u now 12u). This may bother most but it pushed him to
be the best at his position and understand his role on the team.
That being said his teamates refer to him as "MR. CLUTCH". The
situations i've seen have parents not understanding their childs
strenghts and weaknesess.You may be the man over there and avg. here.
Go to Top of Page

C. MORTON

1051 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  15:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it all shows kids they can move on when things don't go their way...Parents also..What the heck are some of you going to do when middle school and high school ball starts and LIL JOHNNY doesn't get to do anything but practice!!!! Heck lil Johnny better get used to not having his way cause the high school coach won't want to hear it lol..Politics
Go to Top of Page

gwinnettdad

16 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  10:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you should do what you think is best for your kid. If your son is progressing as ball player and people see you as a "team hopper" who cares. Its are job as parents to do what is best for are kids - bottom line. A big problem I see is unqualified coaches. Coaches get mad when kids leave but they dont understand that its there coaching thats driving them away. I don't blame a Dad for wanting to coach his son but I dont blame a Dad who wants better coaching for his son either. A Dad also needs to be reelistic about his kids skill level. Theres a happy medium somewhere but its hard for some to find.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  11:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
C. Morton,
That is only one way to look at it. There are some that will be disgruntled and look to move on, but the ones looking to put their kid in a better situation, either because they are at the top or bottom of the skill group, are not thinking this way.

For these, the HS situation will be similar because if they are better, they will move up, and if not, they will stay down.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000