General Discussion
 GRAND SLAM BASEBALL TOURNAMENT ORGANIZATION
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

budfrog1

53 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  22:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grand Slam Tournaments, based out of the West Central Georgia area between Columbus and LaGrange, wants and NEEDS your feedback!

We are looking at offering a 4-game guarantee at EVERY Grand Slam Basebal event in 2010. This would be a change from the traditional 3-game guarantee events we have offered the past 5-years (2-pool followed by single elimination championship bracket play). Our initial thoughts would to GUARANTEE ALL TEAMS 2-games on Saturday and 2-games on Sunday. There would be occasions where "local and area teams" might have to play a Friday night game or DH depending on the number of teams in a particular age division. We would award our famous 6-foot tall, 4-real wooden bat Championship trophy to the team with the best record. In the event two or more teams were tied, we would use our standard tie breaking procedures of head to head; least runs allowed; run differential (+7/-7 max) and runs scored (10-run max).
This new format would allow teams "more bang for the buck" so to speak and get more games. This would also allow teams to be matched up against FOUR DIFFERENT TEAMS in the event, GUARANTEED! In a lot of events you get two pool games and then you may end up playing one of those same teams in bracket play. This format would eliminate that possibility.
Grand Slam Tournaments has always been an alternative to the "big boy organizations" as we strive to put the kids FIRST and do things the best we can. We ALWAYS have a TD on site; a NON-WORKING UIC on site and we keep our website updated after every game. Communication is the key to running quality tournaments. We make our share of mistakes but we are always open to hear what folks have to say!
Please take a moment to give me your thoughts on this as we are going to be releasing our 2010 Tournament Schedule this Friday on our website, http://www.grandslamtournaments.com
Our 2010 World Series Events in Panama City Beach are already listed!
Thanks for your time and HAPPY HOLIDAYS from GRAND SLAM TOURNAMENTS!
Larry Thompson, Jr.
Owner, Grand Slam Tournaments
budfrog1@bellsouth.net
(706) 332-0035
Fortson, Georgia

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  07:55:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In these tough economic times, and with at least 1 other org increasing fees, I see this as a smart play to differentiate yourselves. We have had several good experiences at Grand Slam events at ER Snell and Flowery Branch.

Another idea...
Come mid-February, we'll all be itching to get the boys back into action to knock the rust off for Slugfest, Spring Frost, & SNIT.

I've noticed the temps South of Atlanta where Grand Slam has several nice venues to be ~5-7 degrees warmer than Cobb County in mid Feb. That would be a great time/place to try out this new format.
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  10:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our experiences with Grand Slam have always been very positive. Their choice of fields (the LaGrange park in particilar is very nice) has always been good and the kids love the first place team trophy. Although, the first thing they want to do is take it apart and hit with the bats !!
Go to Top of Page

zwndad

170 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  11:51:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you saying that there would only be 4 games for each team, and the champion would be decided by the team with the best record? If so, I would recommend that you add a championship game for the top 2 teams after the 4 pool play games. Of course, this depends on the number of teams in your tournament. For smaller tournaments, you could probably keep the old format but add consolation games for the teams eliminated first. My kids don't care about trophies, but they do like to know they played in the last game of the weekend, especially when they win.
Go to Top of Page

11baseball11

90 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  13:07:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The biggest draw back from that is the draw you get can decide the winner. Is it just too many games to play double elimination? That way it's settled on the field.
Go to Top of Page

KoopsDad

73 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  14:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of four game guarantee tournaments, but have mixed feelings. Having coached a weaker team in the past, there were times when we never saw a fourth game. However, I personally do not like tournaments where a tournament champion is not decided on the field. The number of teams in a tournament, difference in the quality of teams from pool to pool, etc can all lead to variables in deciding the tournament champion and in my opinion, the only truly "fair" way to determine a champion is through elimination. Hard to please everyone I suppose. Weaker teams will prefer the four game guarantee. Stronger teams will probably prefer elimination bracket play leading to a championship game. Bottom line, if I were choosing between the two, I would choose the tournament that guaranteed me the chance to win it via a championship game regardless of the number of games.
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

421 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  14:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can have 4GG by having a losers bracket and then let the winners bracket still fight it out.

there is no such thing as too many games..tell that to the kid who never gets to pitch in a weekend
Go to Top of Page

10 BB

264 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  15:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Little confusion here, I think he is saying it will be a three game pool play and still single elim. bracket game. The thing is you will get to play on Sunday because your third pool play game will be on Sunday
Go to Top of Page

budfrog1

53 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  15:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bmoser...........We have the Georgia Lead-Off Classic scheduled for LaGrange on February 20-21 and the Presidents Day Classic scheduled for the weekend prior, February 13-14 in Cordele. Both awesome facilities and YES, the weather should be a tad bit warmer than North Atlanta.

Bandit13.....You are not the first person to tell me the kids want to take the bats and hit with them, lol. Thanks for your support.

zwndad, 11baseball11 & KoopsDad.......Double Elimination formats are almost impossible on a weekend event. We could actually offer a 4-game guarantee and then take the top two teams and play a championship game on the field. That would just mean one extra game which would be no big deal.
Go to Top of Page

Titan1

210 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  15:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two games pool and double elimination is the way to go.
Go to Top of Page

zwndad

170 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  15:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about this? 3 games of pool play. Then, you have the top 2, 3, or 4 teams advance to the semifinals or finals (depending on the number of teams in the tournament). Everyone else gets a 1 game consolation game. This gives the competitive teams a chance to play for the championship, and it gives the weaker teams a chance to play more similar competition on Sunday. I don't know what that does to the total number of games in a weekend, field time slots, and umpire fees, but that would be ideal. You would also make sure teams are playing hard in pool play to qualify for the finals.
Go to Top of Page

teddy41

421 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  17:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you got 10 teams you could do 2 round robin brackets and the winner of each play...that means all games are still important as you never know who you may end up tied with so you need to win them all

OR do 2 round robin brackets with 3 games each and the

the 1 vs 1 2 vs 2 and so on

Edited by - teddy41 on 12/01/2009 20:40:04
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000