General Discussion
 Boarder Wars 2010
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

titansx11

106 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  18:26:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know when and if there will be a boarder wars tournament in 2010?

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  22:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If its gonna be at the same location as in years past I hope there is not one. Someone could take this concept to a great venue and mop up. Many teams want to compete against the best the border states offer but this is just not the place for it. I would not even have a problem with the same people running the tournament just at a different location.
Go to Top of Page

gausssa

209 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  23:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny you should bring this up baseballpapa, myself, Jeff Castell and Scottie Mobley (Alabama State Director USSSA) will be doing a "Border Wars" event this spring. Date/location's TBA SOON.
Go to Top of Page

titansx11

106 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  09:12:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Papa, Where was it at in years past? Who ran it? Do you remember the dates? I was thinking it was like March 13-15 somewhere in the neighborhood of the second weekend in March.
Go to Top of Page

sportsreporter

5 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  15:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have heard that it will be moving to "the summitt" in chattanooga on 3/19-3/21. be on the lookout for an announcement.if this is true there is not a nicer park in the area, it should be a great venue.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  15:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The weather just always stinks, but so does it with the Slugfest and Spring Frost. You just sign up and take your chances to get one or two of them in.

In years past, the competition was always real good and were well run unless weather came into play.

Edited by - Alter-Ego on 11/24/2009 21:26:17
Go to Top of Page

Titans-Baseball

11 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  16:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who will be running the tournament at "The Summitt"? Hasn't the Border Wars tournament usually been earlier in March?
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  18:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
titan: In years past it was at the East Brainerd complex that is a very old park. It was always a premier event with most of the top teams in the South always wanting to attend. I don't know the exact dates in years past but do remember it being one of the earliest tournaments and one of the tournaments that everyone looked forward to attending. The last few years was terrrible but not due to the directors but due to it raining so much. Bandits have not played at the Summit yet but look forward to doing so this year.
Go to Top of Page

tn3sport

28 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  21:19:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Border Wars, in the last few years, was run by Jimmy Evans out of the East Brainerd rec fields. He took it over from the original Tournament Director in a hostile manner (lawsuit threats, etc.)and ran it into the ground.
Poor field prep resulted in poor field playing conditions. Poor lighting.
2 years ago he charged each patron the full weekend rate at the gates on Friday night. He would not allow patrons a single day pass (which is what most people do when rain is high probability for Saturday and Sunday.) As soon as it started raining, his staff was no where to be found to provide refunds, or even partial refunds for the full weekend passes they were forced to purchase. This was not just a raid delay, he actually canceled the tournament. There were families that paid as much as $60 bucks to see half a game as rain canceled the tournament. He obviously made the decision to offer only weekend passes instead of one day passes when the rain forecast increased. This was criminal in my opinion.
To add insult to injury, when it cleared up on Sunday, he and his team invited a few selected teams and held a few private games and awarded themselves Borderwars champions.

So, be sure you know who is the tournament director at the new venue for Borderwars. If its the same group, you'll want to stay clear! Summitt would be a great venue and I hope the original Tournament Director obtains ownership once again of this once Southeast classic. But if the same group is running the event, look elsewhere for an enjoyable weekend of baseball.

Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  21:23:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sportsreporter: How about giving Papa directions to the summit complex. As you might know my grandson's live in Chickamauga and Papa is up that way quite a bit.
Go to Top of Page

sportsreporter

5 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  08:13:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
papa, take bonny oaks exit stay right onto old lee highway right onto apison pike. you will see the summitt on right. or take right on ooltewah exit go to burger king (i think) take right, go to dead end take right and summitt will be on you left. not sure this tourney is border wars, just heard rumor of big tournament at the summitt this weekend. attended a softball tourney there and it is a super nice place.maybe the weather will be kinder and gentler this year, not just for that weekend, but for the whole year. last year was just a washout after a washout, or playing in the mud.
Go to Top of Page

C. MORTON

1051 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  09:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I have heard, which might not be true. It will be run by the Chattanooga Cyclones Coaches which is run by George Koontz.. This is just what I have heard..
Go to Top of Page

gausssa

209 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  10:11:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys, the "Border Wars" event I'm talking about will be a USSSA NIT ran event and will be held in Lagrange,Columbus and Alabama on the weekend of April 16-18. Myself,Jeff Castell and Scottie Mobley (Alabama State Director) will be running the show. We expect to draw as many as 150-200 teams from all bordering states. Make plans and spread the word as it's going to be a good one. YOU HEARD IT HEAR FIRST AS THIS TOURNAMENT HAS NOT EVEN BEEN POSTED YET.
Go to Top of Page

Frydaddy

80 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  20:53:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Border Wars they are talking about are in Chattanooga.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000