General Discussion
 What catchers mitt to buy for 11u
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BREAMKING

323 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  15:41:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
need to buy a new catchers mitt. What is the best size and brand for this age group would like it to last two years so for 11-12.

Edited by - BREAMKING on 10/26/2009 15:44:24

sward

369 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  20:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A2000-32"....you can never go wrong with Wilson and will last into HS if you take care of it.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  22:04:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recommend getting the Academa Praying Mantis. It is, in opinion, the best catchers mitt on the market for the price. I have one and it is great. Payed half of what an A2000. I have several A2000 gloves but still recommend the Academa catchers Mitt.
Go to Top of Page

HITANDRUN

436 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  10:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second the Praying Mantis,. how heavy is the A2000 compared to Mantis?
Go to Top of Page

JCB

88 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  10:46:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rawlings gloves, in my opinion, are the best. The Sandlot is a glove that will break in fast as the leather is already soft and the price is reasonable. If money is not an object, look at the Player Preferred, HOH or Pro Preferred (in that order in terms of pricing - medium to high) The HOH will break in faster, but they are great gloves and playable at any level.
Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  12:47:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Academa was recommended for my son by a local college catcher. We have not gotten one yet, but when it is time to replace his current mitt, that is what I will get. (My son is 10.)
Go to Top of Page

kingofthehill

40 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  13:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Akadema Praying Mantis,it's the best of the bunch and not super expensive. A2000 is great option as well but the Akadema seems easier to break in.
Go to Top of Page

diamonddad

59 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  15:22:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also recommend the AKadema Praying Mantis Mitt. I got it to replace a Rawlings catchers mitt that I lost at a tournament. It seems lighter than the A2000 (that's my opinion), easy to break in (I had it steamed at S&S Team Sports and was catching kids that same day) and has a nice pocket (the pocket seems to collapse around the ball keeping it from popping out).

I got it off of eBay for $99 including shipping and it was a STEAL!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

BREAMKING

323 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  15:36:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks guys gonna swing by play it again and see if they got anything good that is already broke in. Then I am gonna go to BB on saturday and check out the ones mentioned above. thanks guys. Do not mind spending money on gloves since they last so much longer just hating spending money on bats. I used a rawlings the other day and while very very nice was really heavy but looked like it would last a lifetime.

Edited by - BREAMKING on 10/27/2009 19:04:56
Go to Top of Page

whits23

596 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  15:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
love Nokona..not sure why no one mentioned it
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  10:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whit,
Most people still think of Nokona as a softball glove mfg. (More used in fastpitch and slowpitch softball than in baseball)

They do make a really nice glove, though.
Go to Top of Page

loveforthegame25

448 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  20:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son is 14, just got him a Vinci 32.5. Used it after one bullpen. A little stiff but he caught the whole game without a ball poppin out.
Go to Top of Page

NoDaddyBall

19 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  07:34:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son has a Rawlings Pro Preferred. This glove has been a bear to break in. The ball will pop out if not caught in the pocket. Does anyone know if getting it steamed will help complete the break-in process? The glove is a great catcher’s mitt, just cant get it broke-in. We have been trying to break this glove in for eight months!!!! He is afraid to use in game situations because of the ball popping out. He uses an older Rawlings glove he has had forever that is thin as paper. I can see him grimace a lot using his old glove and I don’t want him to damage his hand. Believe me; I have tried everything except putting it in the oven with the heated break-in solutions.
Go to Top of Page

HITANDRUN

436 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  11:08:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I have heard about the Steaming process everyone says it works great. I say you got nothing to lose.
Go to Top of Page

beanball

222 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  11:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get a rubber mallett, wrap a towel around the head put the glove on your hand and pound the heck out of it. You may want to add some, not a lot, of Nokona glove oil or Mizuno Strong oil. A little elbow grease will do the trick.
Go to Top of Page

BROOKSTEAM

145 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  14:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buying a glove or mitt is really a personal thing. More than a bat or probably any other piece of equipment. We hope that you will all come to our store and support a sponsor of this website before going to the bigger corporate stores.

We carry:
Wilson
Easton
Mizuno **some of the best catchers mitts, great leather and really comfortable
Nokona **Definitely not a softball glove
Worth
Louisville Slugger
and coming soon Rawlings (probably only the high end)

Bring your boys in and you might really be surprised which glove they choose.

Thanks-Ronald
Elite Sports East Cobb
Store= 678-903-0024
Cell= 404-915-4898
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000