General Discussion
 "Youth Top Dawg" Prospect Camp @ UGA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  09:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son just got an invite to this camp run by David Perno. Seriously thinking about sending him as he is excited to attend. Just wanted to reach out and ask if anyone on here has exprience with the camp?

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  09:42:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CritMass - Funny - there might be two posts popping up on this as I just posted and asked the exact same question What age is your son? They probably get this information from USSSA but don't know ....
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  10:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son got one too. I wish it was not on the Monday before Christmas, though. I guess they figure all kids are out of school for the break and will be looking for something to do.

Considering it as it looks like a good format.
Go to Top of Page

oldmanmj

191 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  13:05:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was blanket mailed to many age groups. For those under the age of 15, in my opinion, this really is over kill and not really geared to them. You are better off taking that money and hiring a personal batting, pitching, speed & agility, etc coach for 5-6 sessions. Personally, a one day session to get ready for high school, you are too late if your not doing it by now (ages 13-15. You have missed on 3-4 years of already doing it and getting better at it. Go see a personal coach with that and get a lot more out of it in the long run.
Go to Top of Page

KoopsDad

73 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  15:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took my son to one of the UGA week long camps a couple of years ago and although he enjoyed it, I do not see us going back until much older. Several of the players were the "coaches" of the different groups of kids and although they were very good with the kids, they did not do ANY instruction. I would say it was more of a fun camp than a learning or working camp. I had the feeling that I was at a Y-Camp or day care with older boys (the players) to play with my son. He enjoyed it, but learned nothing. I think the high school age camps are better.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  16:19:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oldmanmj,
I agree that you won't learn enough in a one day camp to make up lost ground, but believe it can be a good opportunity to meet the coaching staff and let them start seeing you. If you have gone to a camp starting at 12, 13, then 14, by 15 or 16 they have watched you grow up and may take a look at you a little closer at a showcase. At the least it gives you a opening to bring up that "Hey I will be at this showcase on...."

Not to mention it is just downright fun for kids to go hang out with college coaches and players.
Go to Top of Page

brownie1

17 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  19:13:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We also got an invite - 14 yr old. I heard they got the list from ECB. Also heard from a very reliable source it is a good venue for 14 yr olds to get their names out there & get themselves on the radar of UGA before they start HS baseball. Especially if they do well at the camp!
Go to Top of Page

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  19:37:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alter...I agree...If you decide to attend, let me know and we can Hunker Down to Athens together.hahaha
Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  08:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the advice and insight. My kid is 13, already attends speed and agilty, batting and pitching instruction. I was a bit leary of the "one day" aspect of this and approached it from a fun standpoint for him.
Go to Top of Page

BBall123

395 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  09:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have been doing this in football for a while now, my son went last couple of years. its a great exp.for the kids but is really just geared towards making $ for the program.
Go to Top of Page

oldmanmj

191 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  17:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alterego,

I agree that it is great for the kids. Been there done that with that age group. Not being rude, if you want to be seen by UGA coaches, by all means go, for most people, not the bang for the buck. If your kid is a player, trust me, he will be a player at 14, 15, etc. So many kids do not continue at that pace from 10-13. Late bloomers included, not my cup of tea...just a personal thing. I have better things to do with my money than feed UGA for an afternoon.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000