New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  09:41:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you who have attended, or are attending Cooperstown, could you share your stories with the rest of us? We hope to go next summer as a 10U team, and I will end up having to take care of the team logistics....

Thanks!

Edited by - DecaturDad on 06/15/2009 09:42:22

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  13:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would really like to hear from some of you that have been also. Especially, what are the things we cannot forget to bring as players and parents.
Go to Top of Page

whits23

596 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  17:08:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gold bond and money are the two i needed...nice fishing on the lake if you get time to take a guide out
Go to Top of Page

DoubleD

33 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  18:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used this as a guide. It was written by a kid and it was spot on.

WHAT TO TAKE IN YOUR CARRY-ON BAG IF YOU’RE FLYING: DO NOT attempt to carry on your bat bag because 1) it is too big to fit in the overhead compartment or under the seat, and 2) it contains your bats which can be mistaken for weapons. What starts out as a fun trip to Cooperstown might end up as a visit to the penitentiary (just kidding). Seriously, think about what YOU CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT in the event your checked luggage and bat bag get lost. Here’s what I took on the plane: fielder’s glove, catcher’s mitt, cleats, sliding pants and cup, belt, batting gloves. I also brought my Discman and headphones, game boy, and some books which came in handy on the drive from the airport to Cooperstown. The flight is only about two hours. You’re going to be excited and with the drink and snack cart thing it goes by pretty fast. The drive from the airport to Cooperstown is boring. I would have slept, but my little brother made it hard because he kept yelling “moo” and “baaabaaaa” every time we passed cows and sheep (which was about every two minutes or so). There are lots of farms in up-state New York.

CHECK-IN: They give you about five minutes to park your car by your cabin and unload all of your stuff. It’s pretty chaotic and there are tournament people walking around threatening all the parents if they don’t move their cars out of the way. Decide what you need help with and let your mom or dad do that and you do the rest. My suggestion is to get help making up your bunk. I used a fitted sheet and sleeping bag and brought my own pillow and pillow case. My mom did this for me while I unpacked my clothes and stuff into the footlocker. You can put a lock on the footlocker, but the lock I brought ended up being too fat to fit through the hook on the footlocker’s lock. If you’re going to get a lock, get one with a combination so you don’t have to worry about carrying a key around with you. Memorize the combination and practice using it. Also, get a skinny lock so you can be sure it fits through the hook on the footlocker lock.

FOOD: The food is not very good. Think school cafeteria, hospital quality. Be prepared to eat it, however, Doubleday Café in Historic Cooperstown is awesome! Get your parents to check you out as much as possible and eat there for lunch and dinner! There is also a snack bar and while you’re in the park you can get food at the concession stands. It's good & very reasonably priced. Bring snacks like Powerbars or other energy bars for between games or in the dorms at night (although technically I don’t think you’re supposed to). Someone got us a disposable Styrofoam cooler for the dorm and we kept it full of bottled water.

SHOWERING: Bring a swimsuit with the mesh cut out of the inside to wear while you are showering, unless you don’t mind being naked in front of fifty or so complete strangers. It is a group shower. Also bring flip-flops that can get wet. You’re not going to want your bare feet touching the shower floor, trust me. Here’s what else you’ll need for the shower: a mesh bag with a draw string for carrying your toiletries. This is so you can hang it on the shower head while you’re in there. Also, if it’s mesh it won’t collect water and get the cabin all gross. Bring liquid soap (this is to avoid your bar of soap dropping onto the same gross floor you don’t want your bare feet to touch), shampoo, toothbrush in a case and toothpaste (most kids brush their teeth in the shower), and deodorant (if you haven’t started using it yet, now is a good time…the cabins are not air-conditioned). It is a good idea to have a can of jock-itch spray with you. What’s jock-itch you ask? If you get it, you’ll know it, and Fast Actin’ Tinactin & corn starch will be your best friend. Bring at least two bath towels, one to use while one is in the laundry.

PACKING FOR THE TRIP: Bring lots of shorts and tee-shirts, especially stuff with your team name on it, athletic shoes, socks, underwear, swimsuit, sweatpants, sweatshirt, jacket, flip-flops. Bring all the things I mentioned earlier, toiletries, bed linens, towels, a lock (if you want to), pins and a towel with your name on it to pin your trades on (I carried all my pins and the towel around in a big zip lock bag so I wouldn’t drop any), hand-held electronic stuff that you like, a book, playing cards, and DON’T FORGET YOUR BASEBALL EQUIPMENT, CLEATS, SLIDING PANTS, CUP, AND BELTS. ALSO, REMEMBER TO PUT YOUR NAME IN OR ON EVERYTHING YOU BRING! My mom marked my clothes, towels, equipment, and anything else I took with me. She also left me with a black permanent marker so I could put my name in the stuff that was issued to me: jerseys and cap. Don’t count on getting your regular jersey number. I ended up getting mine (#4, like Jared), but you get what you get. We didn’t mark the socks, but our coaches tied the pairs together as we stuck them in the laundry bags so we wouldn’t lose any to the sock-eating laundry monster that lurks in washing machines.

OPENING CEREMONIES AND SKILLS COMPETITIONS: Opening ceremonies take place on the field in the big stadium where the championship game is played. When I played in the tournament that was the only game played in the stadium, but the Around-the-Horn Competition is held there too. Opening ceremonies are long. Every team is introduced and marches into the stadium with their banner. I can’t remember everything they did, but you will sing the National Anthem and hear about the history of Cooperstown Dreams Park and the tournament. After the opening ceremonies they have the skills competitions. All the competitions, Around-the-Horn, Golden Arm, Homerun Derby, and the Roadrunner competition are held at the same time on different fields. Like I said earlier, Around-the-Horn is held in the big stadium. That’s the one I was in. I was the catcher. Here’s my advice. No matter how much you practice, you’re going to be a little nervous because there are thousands of people in the stands and all the other players watching you when you do it, but it’s really fun and exciting! Just keep focused and concentrate on catching the ball, come back to the base (target in the outfield) if you have to, stay relaxed and make a good accurate throw. Don’t rush and don’t worry so much about your time. The team that ends up winning is the one that does the drill the cleanest. Stay calm and think about this. I can’t remember which team ended up winning the Around-the-Horn when I was there. I can’t remember my team’s time, I can’t even remember if anyone dropped the ball or made a great throw. I remember what it felt like to be there and how fun it was to compete.

ENTERTAINMENT OFF THE FIELD: Remember you’re there to play baseball. Don’t be disappointed if you don’t have a lot of free time to run around. There is an arcade and a snack bar (I think), but I really don’t remember spending much time there. Our coaches didn’t want us to play video games until we were done with games for the day. If you’re not playing a game, chances are you’ll be at the batting cages, throwing with a teammate, finding a place to take grounders, or pin trading. When we had free time we went to Historic Cooperstown. There’s Double Day Field, where they say Abner Doubleday, the father of baseball, first played. There’s the Major League Hall of Fame Museum, a wax museum, and tons of shops, and places to eat. If you love baseball as much as I do, you will be in heaven. If you wear your Dreams Park Jersey to the MLB Hall of Fame Museum and you go with your whole team, you get in free. I went to the museum twice. Once with my whole team and once with my family. If you’ve saved up any money of your own, Cooperstown is a great place to spend it. I wanted to buy a Yogi Bera autographed Jersey, but it was $85.00 and my parents wouldn’t let me. Instead I bought a Brooklyn Dodgers cap and a bunch of pins.
CLOSING CEREMONIES: I’m not going to tell you anything about Closing Ceremonies except for this. Shake hands and say thank you when you get your ring. Even if your ring is just a little bit too big for you, give it to your mom or dad to put in a safe place until you get back home. Mine was too big and even though my mom offered to hold it for me I wore it. I don’t’ know when it slipped off my finger, but I looked down at my hand while riding up the escalator at Hartsfield Airport and realized I had lost my ring. I was in shock. I couldn’t even speak and I started to cry. My dad and I ran back to the gate and they let us on the plane to look for it. We searched the bathroom and even looked through the trash can and couldn’t find it. We reported it to lost and found at the airport, but it never turned up. When we got to our house, my mom called the Dreams Park and it turns out I wasn’t the first kid to have this happen and I’m sure I won’t be the last. The Dreams Park people sent me a new one for $85.00 (coincidentally the same cost as the Yogi Bera Jersey), but I still felt terrible for days. Cooperstown is such a fun week. I’d hate for any one of you to feel as bad as I did when I lost my ring so be smart about it.

I hope these tips are helpful. Have fun and GOOD LUCK
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  22:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks DoubleD. Entertaining and useful.
Go to Top of Page

xtreme2008

29 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  22:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More stuff for parents to keep in mind for yourselves. If you're going as 10u, that typically tends to be during the first three weeks, so you'll find yourself there early to mid June. Bring pants, sweatshirts, jackets (waterproof) & umbrellas. You will find cool to cold, wet weather during this time.

Also, the dining in Cooperstown tends to be VERY weak compared to what we're accustomed to in Metro ATL. Only fast food to speak of were a Pizza Hut and McDonalds. A couple of Mom & Pop places downtown Cooperstown, but not much else. I would concur with the Kid's assessment that the Doubleday Cafe was about the best food going. Dimaggio's hot dog restaurant was great and directly across the street from Dreams Park.

If you have non-playing siblings going along, consider buying a one year family membership to the HoF. Your "player" will get a ticket for one trip for him, but you'll have to pay full boat for everyone else. Because of the baseball schedule, you won't find a day where you have a long time to spend at the museum. We bought the family 1yr and my oldest and I would make multiple trips throughout the week before and between games. We all visited one afternoon with my "playing" son. Basically my oldest & I were able to see the entire museum throughout the whole week. In the end, it was far less expensive than paying multiple times, and we didn't feel any pressure to rush through the museum. I also believe that the 12u's appreciate the HoF and history more than the 10u's do. Most of the 10u kids were interested in seeing one or two things and were ready to go, where the older kids had much more interest in the history.

As far as groceries, there is a local grocer (similar to Ingle's) a mile or so from the park. There is a Super WalMart about 10-15 miles away in a nearby town and worth the trip for your initial "stock-up" for the week.

Early in the year, plan on rain delays and the potential for late nights. Last year we were at the fields until nearly midnight because of rain and fog delays (our field became so foggy during our game that they stopped us midway and moved us to a field further from the river).

One thing for the kids, pin trading is HUGE and takes place mostly during check-in time and the first day. The Commander Pete pin is the most coveted as he will trade for one pin from each team so that he has a complete collection from every week. Basically, this means that one kid from each team will end up with his pin, which makes getting it akin to finding the Holy Grail. I'd recommend buying the pin "suitcase" that they sell in the gift shop. When all the trading is done, it will weigh about 20 pounds. The most coveted souvenir is the weekly shirt with all the team names on the back. They didn't come in the week we were there until Wednesday afternoon, and it was an instant frenzy of people trying to get them. You have one shot and they will run out of sizes quickly, so make sure you coordinate with a couple of parents to have your back and pick up the sizes you want (and vice-versa) if you happen to not be around when they come in.

All in all, Cooperstown is a beautiful area. It was also very relaxing to be able to just show up at the field a few minutes before game time (no fighting Atlanta traffic to get to the cages an hour early, rushing home to wash uniforms, etc, etc). A great experience that we look forward to making again. That's about all I have off the top of my head. If you have any specific questions, just ask and I'll do my best to answer.
Go to Top of Page

momof12

20 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  23:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The description above is pretty much right on target. This place is all about baseball--as it should be; anything else and we would all be terribly disappointed. The boys do not have much time for anything other than ball. Beware of the gift shop. There is just about anything you can imagine in there with the logo, Cooperstown Dreams Park placed on it and you are totally going to be drawn to that place and feel the need to purchase one of everything in there.

When we were there a couple of years ago, it got cold at night and we were not prepared for that. Fortunately, the gift shop had some lovely sweat shirts and wind pants that we were able to purchase for a small amount.

Take lots of film for your camera.

Wear your walking shoes.

Travel as lightly as possible because you will be walking quite a ways most of the time.

Make sure your son has something for his trading pins. Teams who are already checked in are swarming the rooms as soon as a new team arrives so make sure he has them handy the minute he gets out of the car. However, the description above is right on target too when he says that the employees rush your parents in and out so don't trade pins until you get him settled in. Never fear though, if you forget something to keep your pins in--they have some nifty cases in the gift shop that you can purchase for yet another small fee.

It is also a good idea for parents to keep a few pins on hand during the games too. Players will come during the games and want to trade pins and that is sometimes the easiest way to get pins that your son might not have gotten earlier. Also understand that even if your child says he isn't into the pin thing, he will be once he gets there because there is so much of it going on.

Finally, when you drop him off give him a big hug because he will be so busy the rest of the week that he won't have a lot of time for you--sad as it is.

We leave on Thursday and cannot wait--except for that long drive. Hope you all have a safe trip and make lots of great memories.

Go to Top of Page

who

24 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  00:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the details DoubleD. I'm printing this to use as a reference in 2010.

quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD

We used this as a guide. It was written by a kid and it was spot on.

WHAT TO TAKE IN YOUR CARRY-ON BAG IF YOU’RE FLYING: DO NOT attempt to carry on your bat bag because 1) it is too big to fit in the overhead compartment or under the seat, and 2) it contains your bats which can be mistaken for weapons. What starts out as a fun trip to Cooperstown might end up as a visit to the penitentiary (just kidding). Seriously, think about what YOU CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT in the event your checked luggage and bat bag get lost. Here’s what I took on the plane: fielder’s glove, catcher’s mitt, cleats, sliding pants and cup, belt, batting gloves. I also brought my Discman and headphones, game boy, and some books which came in handy on the drive from the airport to Cooperstown. The flight is only about two hours. You’re going to be excited and with the drink and snack cart thing it goes by pretty fast. The drive from the airport to Cooperstown is boring. I would have slept, but my little brother made it hard because he kept yelling “moo” and “baaabaaaa” every time we passed cows and sheep (which was about every two minutes or so). There are lots of farms in up-state New York.

CHECK-IN: They give you about five minutes to park your car by your cabin and unload all of your stuff. It’s pretty chaotic and there are tournament people walking around threatening all the parents if they don’t move their cars out of the way. Decide what you need help with and let your mom or dad do that and you do the rest. My suggestion is to get help making up your bunk. I used a fitted sheet and sleeping bag and brought my own pillow and pillow case. My mom did this for me while I unpacked my clothes and stuff into the footlocker. You can put a lock on the footlocker, but the lock I brought ended up being too fat to fit through the hook on the footlocker’s lock. If you’re going to get a lock, get one with a combination so you don’t have to worry about carrying a key around with you. Memorize the combination and practice using it. Also, get a skinny lock so you can be sure it fits through the hook on the footlocker lock.

FOOD: The food is not very good. Think school cafeteria, hospital quality. Be prepared to eat it, however, Doubleday Café in Historic Cooperstown is awesome! Get your parents to check you out as much as possible and eat there for lunch and dinner! There is also a snack bar and while you’re in the park you can get food at the concession stands. It's good & very reasonably priced. Bring snacks like Powerbars or other energy bars for between games or in the dorms at night (although technically I don’t think you’re supposed to). Someone got us a disposable Styrofoam cooler for the dorm and we kept it full of bottled water.

SHOWERING: Bring a swimsuit with the mesh cut out of the inside to wear while you are showering, unless you don’t mind being naked in front of fifty or so complete strangers. It is a group shower. Also bring flip-flops that can get wet. You’re not going to want your bare feet touching the shower floor, trust me. Here’s what else you’ll need for the shower: a mesh bag with a draw string for carrying your toiletries. This is so you can hang it on the shower head while you’re in there. Also, if it’s mesh it won’t collect water and get the cabin all gross. Bring liquid soap (this is to avoid your bar of soap dropping onto the same gross floor you don’t want your bare feet to touch), shampoo, toothbrush in a case and toothpaste (most kids brush their teeth in the shower), and deodorant (if you haven’t started using it yet, now is a good time…the cabins are not air-conditioned). It is a good idea to have a can of jock-itch spray with you. What’s jock-itch you ask? If you get it, you’ll know it, and Fast Actin’ Tinactin & corn starch will be your best friend. Bring at least two bath towels, one to use while one is in the laundry.

PACKING FOR THE TRIP: Bring lots of shorts and tee-shirts, especially stuff with your team name on it, athletic shoes, socks, underwear, swimsuit, sweatpants, sweatshirt, jacket, flip-flops. Bring all the things I mentioned earlier, toiletries, bed linens, towels, a lock (if you want to), pins and a towel with your name on it to pin your trades on (I carried all my pins and the towel around in a big zip lock bag so I wouldn’t drop any), hand-held electronic stuff that you like, a book, playing cards, and DON’T FORGET YOUR BASEBALL EQUIPMENT, CLEATS, SLIDING PANTS, CUP, AND BELTS. ALSO, REMEMBER TO PUT YOUR NAME IN OR ON EVERYTHING YOU BRING! My mom marked my clothes, towels, equipment, and anything else I took with me. She also left me with a black permanent marker so I could put my name in the stuff that was issued to me: jerseys and cap. Don’t count on getting your regular jersey number. I ended up getting mine (#4, like Jared), but you get what you get. We didn’t mark the socks, but our coaches tied the pairs together as we stuck them in the laundry bags so we wouldn’t lose any to the sock-eating laundry monster that lurks in washing machines.

OPENING CEREMONIES AND SKILLS COMPETITIONS: Opening ceremonies take place on the field in the big stadium where the championship game is played. When I played in the tournament that was the only game played in the stadium, but the Around-the-Horn Competition is held there too. Opening ceremonies are long. Every team is introduced and marches into the stadium with their banner. I can’t remember everything they did, but you will sing the National Anthem and hear about the history of Cooperstown Dreams Park and the tournament. After the opening ceremonies they have the skills competitions. All the competitions, Around-the-Horn, Golden Arm, Homerun Derby, and the Roadrunner competition are held at the same time on different fields. Like I said earlier, Around-the-Horn is held in the big stadium. That’s the one I was in. I was the catcher. Here’s my advice. No matter how much you practice, you’re going to be a little nervous because there are thousands of people in the stands and all the other players watching you when you do it, but it’s really fun and exciting! Just keep focused and concentrate on catching the ball, come back to the base (target in the outfield) if you have to, stay relaxed and make a good accurate throw. Don’t rush and don’t worry so much about your time. The team that ends up winning is the one that does the drill the cleanest. Stay calm and think about this. I can’t remember which team ended up winning the Around-the-Horn when I was there. I can’t remember my team’s time, I can’t even remember if anyone dropped the ball or made a great throw. I remember what it felt like to be there and how fun it was to compete.

ENTERTAINMENT OFF THE FIELD: Remember you’re there to play baseball. Don’t be disappointed if you don’t have a lot of free time to run around. There is an arcade and a snack bar (I think), but I really don’t remember spending much time there. Our coaches didn’t want us to play video games until we were done with games for the day. If you’re not playing a game, chances are you’ll be at the batting cages, throwing with a teammate, finding a place to take grounders, or pin trading. When we had free time we went to Historic Cooperstown. There’s Double Day Field, where they say Abner Doubleday, the father of baseball, first played. There’s the Major League Hall of Fame Museum, a wax museum, and tons of shops, and places to eat. If you love baseball as much as I do, you will be in heaven. If you wear your Dreams Park Jersey to the MLB Hall of Fame Museum and you go with your whole team, you get in free. I went to the museum twice. Once with my whole team and once with my family. If you’ve saved up any money of your own, Cooperstown is a great place to spend it. I wanted to buy a Yogi Bera autographed Jersey, but it was $85.00 and my parents wouldn’t let me. Instead I bought a Brooklyn Dodgers cap and a bunch of pins.
CLOSING CEREMONIES: I’m not going to tell you anything about Closing Ceremonies except for this. Shake hands and say thank you when you get your ring. Even if your ring is just a little bit too big for you, give it to your mom or dad to put in a safe place until you get back home. Mine was too big and even though my mom offered to hold it for me I wore it. I don’t’ know when it slipped off my finger, but I looked down at my hand while riding up the escalator at Hartsfield Airport and realized I had lost my ring. I was in shock. I couldn’t even speak and I started to cry. My dad and I ran back to the gate and they let us on the plane to look for it. We searched the bathroom and even looked through the trash can and couldn’t find it. We reported it to lost and found at the airport, but it never turned up. When we got to our house, my mom called the Dreams Park and it turns out I wasn’t the first kid to have this happen and I’m sure I won’t be the last. The Dreams Park people sent me a new one for $85.00 (coincidentally the same cost as the Yogi Bera Jersey), but I still felt terrible for days. Cooperstown is such a fun week. I’d hate for any one of you to feel as bad as I did when I lost my ring so be smart about it.

I hope these tips are helpful. Have fun and GOOD LUCK

Go to Top of Page

gabulldogs

29 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  03:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i. Take clip on 6" fans to put on all kids bunks.
2. Bring large box fans for the whole barracks.( outside from the heat the whole barracks begins to smell like sweat and wet towels so keep the air moving).
3. They say it is violation of the State of New York not to bring outside food into the barracks. I see why now. They want to sell you all the snacks and sodas and pizza at the concession to bring back when the chow line closes and the kids are finished playing. This is all fine, but after you spend money there all day and how much it is to get there, they should allow you to bring in things for them to share after hours. My advise from a coaches stand point who lived it. Bring in all you need at check in and keep in a separate lock box.(Don't know how many kids you are taking, but we had 11 and 4 coaches and had like 5 extra bunks with boxes). They do not check them ever.
4. We had each player bring a case of water and kept restocking the cooler daily. They sell bags of ice at the park and is not over priced.
5. Bring lots of pins. The kids seem to like that as much as baseball and it was fun to see all the bartering and dealing going on.
6. I was a coach and was very busy, but it looked like the parents had a great time as well during the games. But if you are a coach, plan on walking ALOT. The batting cages are in the middle of the park and not close to one field so plan accordingly when getting to games 15 minutes before game time.

All in all it was a good trip. I think as a 10u team it will be more fun for all. The fields are very short for 12u and the kids are so big now, they hit it out with a check swing. Forget about small ball and a lot of long singles. Its all about the kids having fun and win or loose I think ours did. I will always remember spending this time with my son. Any other questions please let me know and I will try to answer them.

Go Dogs
Go to Top of Page

12uCoach

357 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  07:22:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the packing list I have used the last 12 years:

Bat Bag packed with everything you will need for game day.
• All of your Mitts (outfield, infield, 1st base, catchers).
• Bats.
• Catchers pack ALL your equipment.
• White Baseball Pants – 2 pair, no stripe
• Sliding Pants
• Catchers/Pitchers bring your cup.
• Red Belt & Navy Belt for Cooperstown
• Red Sox & Navy Sox for Cooperstown
• Trainers
• Cleats
o If you are getting new cleats make sure that they are worn in, we don’t need blistered feet, so pack old ones with your clothes.

Packed and brought with you in a suitcase:
• Team Shirts
• Team Hat
• Sneakers (for when we aren't playing baseball)
• Sandals for the shower - keep athlete’s foot away, and no cut feet on the way to the shower
• Bathing Suit for the shower
• Shampoo, Soap (liquid is better), Toothpaste, Toothbrush, DEODORANT, vitamins, allergy medicine, drinking cup
• Extra glasses or contacts and extra saline solution
• A baggie or something to carry the stuff to the bathroom
• Bath Towel & washcloth
• Sleeping Bag or Sheets & Blanket (or both)
• Pillow
• Sleeping clothes
• Walking around clothes (shorts, T-shirt, sox, underwear, etc.)
o Players will wear shirt/hat from team or Georgia.
• Something to keep their pins in. I would use a golf towel or hand towel.
• Sweat Shirt and/or Pullover
There is a “storage bin” for each player.
OPTIONAL:
Extra Baseball pants
Dollar Bills for the Pepsi Machine
Quarters for the Arcade
Game Boy/iPod and Extra Batteries (or similar)
Something to read
Sweat Pants & Sweat Shirt
Kodak one-use camera (and hope for some good pictures)
Please Remember: There is no Sports Authority in Cooperstown, and Wal-Mart is 90
minutes away…
Go to Top of Page

ronicard

117 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  08:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the parents:
1) If you plan to arrive on Friday, they don't serve meals on Friday nights unless you have reserved it ahead of time. My recommendation is to go check into your house first, then go get something to eat, then wait to go to the park about 9 pm. They do check-ins until about 10 on Friday (usually they have lights out at 10, but Friday night is an exception). Just like the young man's response said, they try to rush people in and out to make the check-in process as efficient as possible. But if you will wait until 9 pm, you will drive right in and out with little to no lines. Otherwise, plan to spend 45 minutes to an hour checking in.
2) We didn't take bedding or a pillow. After we landed, we drove to a Target and bought a pillow, a comforter, and a bedding set. It costs around $25 and we just threw it away at the end of the week. If you check that on a flight these days, it'll cost you about that each way for the extra bag.
3) Cooperstown Dreams Park is about 3 or 4 miles from downtown Cooperstown. Many of our families paid extra to get the houses closer to the park. We saved about $1500 by staying 9 miles from the park, yet that is only a 10 minute drive. And if you're in the houses that are even right across the street, you still have to drive into the park anyway because they don't allow pedestrian access to the park for security reasons.
4) We bought towels for our players to use while trading pins and they were a complete waste. Towels won't hold 100 pins. They sell pin trading "padded notebooks" there at the park for $25 and they're well worth it. My advice is to just save the money you would have spent on towels, lanyards, etc and have everyone buy one of the pin notebooks.
5) Take a jacket and an umbrella. You will get cold and you will get wet...even in July. It is right in the middle of the Catskill mountains, down in a valley, and it rains A LOT. After the rains come, the temperature drops. We had a game in the morning where I wore shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops and ended up in a jacket, long pants, tennis shoes, and beanie cap to pull over my ears by the end of the game that afternoon.
6) Downtown Cooperstown has a ton of restaurants for when you get ready to eat but the parking is minimal. Best advice is to carpool with another family from the park and take only 1 car downtown. Otherwise, you'll spend 10 - 15 minutes looking for a place to park without getting a ticket.

Overall, be prepared for an incredible week of baseball fun. We went there thinking that there was no way it would meet my expectations and it exceeded them in every way. It is truly a magical place...enjoy your time there with your player. It's something both of you will remember the rest of your lives.
Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  09:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. I don't know if we can wait until 2010. For those of you going this year. Enjoy, and be sure to keep the rest of us up to date.
Go to Top of Page

southpawmom

19 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  09:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the coaches and their families: All four of our coaches stayed in the barraks with the boys, so the wives of the coaches shared a house together away from town. We were able to leave a car at the Dreams Park for the coaches in case someone needed to run out for something - even though they never needed it. At least one evening when you don't have a night game, plan a mandantory check out where all of the parents come and get their own kids. Our coaches loved staying in the camp and being with all of the other kids, but they needed an evening to take a real shower, take a nap in the air conditioning and eat dinner with their family. After that night, the coaches were ready to take on championship bracket play.

Cooperstown is an awesome experience! Have fun and good luck!
Go to Top of Page

playbaseball

8 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  09:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before you leave, print out a list of the teams that will be there. Your player can cross off the teams as he collects pins to keep from getting duplicates. Also, I seperated my son's pins into bags of 25. That way he didn't have to carry them all with him. Be prepared for the first couple of days to be all about pins...the reality of baseball doesn't kick in until the 2nd or 3rd day.
Go to Top of Page

a1prog

164 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  09:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
let me add a few other details;

1. buy your tournament t-shirt as soon as they get into the gift shop. they print a limited amount of these and will sell out. i think we got ours on sat/sun. i remember that by tuesday they were all gone.

2. the kids will wear flip flops in the shower. NO VELCRO. the velcro stays wet and the kids get athletes foot.

3. get there early. the line to enter the park will form very early and while you sit there waiting to get in the kids are flying all over trading pins. they have a blast.
Go to Top of Page

12uCoach

357 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  09:42:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the 12's going in 2010, I want to recomend the the trip we've done 3 times.
We actually left a week early and played baseball on the way up to Cooperstown. We took a 15 passenger van, a trailer and a second van/suv and went on our way.
Sending out a hundred e-mails, I was able to schedule games in Virginia Beach, Washington, Baltimore and Pittsburgh. We toured DC, Gettysburg and last year it was Baltimore. We got to play a DH at Ripkin Park.
Some parents went with us, some joined us on the way. We always ended Friday at Niagara Falls before checking into Cooperstown. You don't need the route we took, just teams to play.

The kids still talk about it, and I hope someone else from Georgia tries to make this kind of trip in the future.
Go to Top of Page

bigfan

105 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  13:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We look to go in 2010 and I hear there are several types of places people can stay while in Cooperstown. The following website has hundreds of places available to rent for the week, has anyone stayed in any of these and if so could you comment on how it was. I know were there for the ball but always want a comfortable place to come back to.

http://www.cooperstownny.com/search2.cfm
Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  17:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have to disagree with Xtreme2008 on the food in town. Sal's pizza has good pizza and subs, TJ's is good food and has "great portions"...think turkey and dressing! Oh, one more thing TJ's just added sweet tea to the menu for us "southerners" as the girl put it. I think it may be Nestea.....but it is sweet. The Cooperstown diner (small but very good breakfast) along with TJ's offer great breakfast. I can say that after about 9pm....you will be stuck with the Mcdonalds and Pizza Hut. Several interesting bars downtown for paretns to unwind and knock back a few. Just wnet the first week of this month and had a BLAST!

Edited by - Critical Mass on 06/16/2009 18:04:26
Go to Top of Page

op-o

41 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  21:00:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can also try the steak house behind McDonalds on rt 28 near Dreams Park (Forgot the name)or Rednecks BBQ also along rt 28 as good food stops.
Go to Top of Page

playbaseball

8 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  10:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BigEd...We used that rental company both times we went to C'Town. We've stayed at the DandyLiInn (it was alot less than now) and Cank's Homeplate. The DandiLi Inn was great. Just across the street from a Pizza Hut and a short walk to the grocery store and liquor store :). It has a huge side/back yard perfect for a team party. Its comfortable inside and great if 4 or 5 families rent together. Everyone gets their own bathroom. It is on the main drag and you can sit on the front porch with your afternoon cocktails and watch people head to and from the park. It is only a 5 min drive to Dreams Park. Cank's is off the main drag, on a quiet street. It was newly remodeled two years ago and was very nice. Living space upstairs, two bedrooms downstairs, each with its own bathroom. A beautiful view off the back deck and you can just see (barely) some of the new fields at Dreams Park. It was about a 15 minute drive to the park. Hope you have as much fun as we did.
Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  10:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roger that op-o...O'Hanlans....we did take the kid there for a few steaks. Did not go to the Redneck BBQ, but heard it had cold beer.
Go to Top of Page

I Love Baseball

12 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  10:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep it coming! The advice here is GREAT!!! Thanks to everyone for sharing!
Go to Top of Page

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  13:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Papa,
With the recent injury to the big lefty what is the final head count on your Cooperstown roster? We are all rooting for you guys.
Go to Top of Page

highcheese

71 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  09:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry guys, but I would pass on the Redneck BBQ. If you like any of the BBQ in GA please do not kill yourself with this. Oh the quest for real pizza - go to Sal's and tell them how you want it, thin, thick, greasy, white, they may look at you funny if you want veggies instead of meat. The cool thing is that the little guys are all taken care of, you do not need to drive an hour to get to a game an hour and a halpf early, imagine that, 2 1/2 hours of free time before a game:
Make it a point to talk to the umpires. Man have they got some stories. These people are there because they love the kids and baseball. Make sure you take care of the one you brought too. If you have time, just take a drive around and soak up the scenary. Cooperstown is stuck in the middle between the Adirondacks and Catskill ranges. You can also take the kids to the putt putt place next to the park for an ice cream and a round of intense putt putt. Have fun.
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  22:39:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shut Out

Papa,
With the recent injury to the big lefty what is the final head count on your Cooperstown roster? We are all rooting for you guys.

ShutOut, Papa left for Cooperstown Tuesday and took his Bandit Grandson with him. I'm not sure if he took his computer with him or not. The bandits are carrying 11 players to Cooperstown including his Grandson. The doctors have cleared him to be the EH.
Go to Top of Page

buzzworthy

19 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  19:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If no one has mentioned it here, it gets daylight VERY early -- around 4:30am. The team barracks have no blinds or anything to block the light. So you may want to think about towels or sheets to hang over the windows. Also, the food provided for the boys is not nearly enough. And if your team happens to be playing during food service, then they're just out of luck. I was at the concession stand feeding my son after every one of my his games last year. He was starving the whole week! Also, some of the moms on our team made a trip to Costco in Oneonta and bought snack type foods (beef jerkey, granola bars, etc.) and filled up the catcher's bag and "smuggled" it in, so the boys had food to eat in the barracks.
As for the opening and closing ceremonies, I hate to say it, but they're excruciatingly boring. Be prepared to sit for a LONG time listening to story after story after story after story...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000