General Discussion
 Post of the year 2009
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  18:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CoachMark nominated a post-of-the-year under the topic "10U competition". It needed to be a new topic, so here it is. I wish I could take cred for it, but Coach Mark would eventually catch up to me.

I was very impressed with the post he nominated. We might have to do categories for most useful, funniest, best prediction, most unique.

I was most impressed when I posted a detailed expert level quiz about Georgia youth baseball venues, and a poster got every one correct. Blew me away. It didn't help us to improve our boys games, but geez that depth of knowledge was Yoda-like.

Well, your nominations are....? hint: start w/ Greg Lomax's, and move on from there.

CoachMark

216 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  22:34:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again, here's the post I nominated which would fall under the Most Useful category (good idea bmoser).

Stan should put a sticky on this one.

quote:
Originally posted by highcheese

Couple of things to think about when teaching kids pitching. First off is mechanics, if your mechanics are off I do not care what kinda of pitch you throw it will end up putting extreme pressure on places in your shoulder and elbow you do not want it to. I firmly believe that pitching at least until you hit puberty should be done under adult supervision, and really until they are done with all the growing they are going to do. The second you tell Johnny to go warm up and pitch with out supervision he will be cranking his body in postions you never thought possible, kids are kids. Speaking from many years of experience with the only thing that has affected my arm which is old age. Kids need to through strikes first, never teach him an off speed pitch if he cannot get a strike over the plate, you will be creating more chances for error. When he can throw a strike and locate it, then introduce a STRAIGHT change, which is a fast ball form and arm motion with a slightly different grip, Several different grips out there according to the size of the little guys hand. Some of these kids through a great straight change with a four fingered choked grip over the horseshoe seam. Once your guy can master the straight change motion, then location of it you can move onto other things. Critical here to master the mechanics and the confidence. The confidence part is a piece many coaches never address in pitching. I f you get to this point you may have a good little pitcher on you hands that does not have arm trouble, good mechanics, and throws Strikes. This is a process you cannot rush. Some kids take to it and others take longer - coaching involved here. Now you have something to work with and can introduce other ways to make the ball move. Another important note and coaching note here - with two pitches that can be thrown for strikes, teach the little guy when and where to throw them, do not leave him out there to wonder. Now you fool with the movement of the ball with two seams, fourseams, the horseshoe etc. DO this by changing finger pressure on the index or the middle finger. Please do not do this by changing arm angles and twisting motions. An inside fastball with movement either way is just as effective as a cranked out curve. A fast ball that looks outside and comes back to kiss the corner is a pull hitters nightmare. See where I am going here. You can now teach the kid more pitching, placement and movement, how to read batters, positional pitching etc... By now someone has said to you, wow he is a good pitcher, when is he going to throw a curve? I suggest having a curve in the arsenal after puberty, no matter what a win at all cost coach or an over bearing parent wants to do when the kid is little, do not do it until he is older. I do not care how good an athelete he is or how mature you think he is, do not do it, he is still a kid. Sorry to rant a little but I know many pitchers who are very successful and the curve ball is way down the list of pitches to throw.
Go to Top of Page

CoachMark

216 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  08:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another nominee from momof2
quote:
originally posted by momof2

Be the BEST Parent you can be this season!
Involvement or Interference, the choice is yours!
INTERFERENCE
1. Don't go into the dugout to give instructions. Your child has coaches, and they have worked hard on developing cohesion and a mental attitude toward the game.
2. Yelling out tips, advice, correction, or criticism will in no way improve your child's performance. The same principle holds true in yelling out advice from the sidelines. Keep in mind, the content and accuracy of the information is not the issue. Help not asked for is criticism. If your child has not asked for your advice, then don't give it.
3. Don't question the coach's decisions during or between games.
As a parent, you have a right to your opinion regarding playing time, attitude, criticism, etc. However, use the 24-hour rule - speak to the coach 24 hours after the game. By then, the dust has settled, tempers have cooled, and saner heads prevail. At that time, be specific as to your concerns.
4. Beginning at approximately 12 years old, it is important for you to empower your child, and teach them to take care of their own needs. Rather than speak for them, encourage them to speak up for themselves.
5. Don't make a spectacle of yourself during the game.
Loud and rude comments to umpires, opposing coaches, or even opponents may seem humorous to you, but your child is cringing in the dugout with embarrassment. Always keep in mind that you are a role model, and act on the field the way you would want your child to behave.
6. Don't tell your child everything he/she has done wrong on the ride home from the game.
7. Trust me, this is not what is considered quality time and sharing. You may think it is helpful, but he/she feels criticized. In addition, he/she already knows that the error he/she made in the seventh inning that allowed the winning run to score was not good, and does not need to be reminded of it by you.
INVOLVEMENT
1. Always be positive!
2. Learn to encourage, not criticize. If you don't have something good to say, don't say it.
3. Be a parent, not an agent.
Talk to your child regarding his/her concerns, and help your child to learn to take care of most issues independently. Rather than criticize coaches and players, and make excuses for himself/herself, take the excellent opportunity to teach him/her how to cope with adversity. Don't make lists of demands for the coaches to follow.
4. Spend time practicing at home.
In the years to come, you will both treasure the memories of tossing the ball around, much more so than of victories and losses.
5. Volunteer your time.
Ask the coach how you can help, and follow his/her direction. Your child will appreciate your positive involvement, and be proud to have you as part of the team.
6. Attend games and cheer.
7. Positive self-esteem is the primary goal of sports, not [just] winning or losing.
Go to Top of Page

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  10:12:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
another vote for the post from momof2
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000