New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  16:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that "The website that shall not be named." has listed the team rankings, which are viewable only by a subscription, how likely are you to subscribe?

• Very Likely
  • Somewhat Likely
  • Likely
  • Somewhat Unlikely
  • Very Unlikely

Edited by - greglomax on 04/02/2009 16:31:12

scottwill311

52 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  18:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr.Lomax,
One of your answer options should have been: HECK NO!-- Why would I pay for someones opinion,when I can get it for nothing? Those rankings are nothing more than a conversation piece and to charge money to view is outrageous! Good day...

Edited by - scottwill311 on 04/03/2009 09:02:40
Go to Top of Page

Storm Baseball

212 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  19:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NEVER
Go to Top of Page

jkouloukas

5 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  19:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very unlikely, I will not pay for a website.
Go to Top of Page

betterbball

33 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  20:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very Unlikey, I want refund !!!!
Go to Top of Page

Mike Corbin

523 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  20:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somewhat Unlikely
Go to Top of Page

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  21:04:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rankings do not appear to be well thought out. Who do you see about cancelling your subscription. Papa has been had again.

Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  21:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greglomax

Now that "The website that shall not be named." has listed the team rankings, which are viewable only by a subscription, how likely are you to subscribe?

• Very Likely
  • Somewhat Likely
  • Likely
  • Somewhat Unlikely
  • Very Unlikely

Very unlikely. However, if my son played for a team that competed Regionally or Nationally at the USSSA Major level, I'd pay.
Go to Top of Page

seahawk13

18 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  00:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VERY UNLIKELY
Go to Top of Page

beanball

222 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  06:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frankly anyone who subscribes & is that concerned about team ranking either has too much time on his hands or is obsessed with this relatively unimportant information.
Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  07:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very unlikely, they are not USA Today.
Go to Top of Page

I Love Baseball

12 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  10:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very unlikely - I agree with Baseballpapa, that the ranking don't seem to be will thought out in the 10U rankings. Those rankings are a source of the bad information on our Glory team.
Go to Top of Page

Rocky

290 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  13:20:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't pay for something I can probably figure out by searching on the web for free.
Go to Top of Page

SpeedKills

106 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  14:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I wouldn't PAY for it even if my son played on a major team...It only covers certain tournaments...They didn't cover Slugfest just the Super NIT...And if you don't cover every tournament plays in or KNOW which tournament they play in and how they did how can you even begin to RANK teams in any order.....They don't have a list of all the tournaments these teams play in do they??? I doubt it..If a team does bad in a local tournament do they drop??? Or if a team doesn't play in anymore tournament with GOOD COMP. do they DROP??? NO I wouldn't PAY for this service lol...I can come here and talk all the baseball for free and find out who did what....
Go to Top of Page

baseball21

17 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  16:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forget that web-site, I removed it from my favorites list. If you want to see team rankings go to perfect game, they also have the teams ranked and its free.
Go to Top of Page

FB COACH

25 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  16:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not paid yet but I will.(very likely)
The website covers what I am interested in... " travel baseball"
Regardless of rankings or no rankings I would subscribe, I enjoy reading about teams and tournaments from across the country, I doubt they will be getting rich off my LESS THAN 6 PENNYS A DAY membership fee,heck I would probably spend all the way up to a full Dime a day for the service they provide. Why not help support the people that cover what we do? Lets see,we are going to Disney,Cooperstown,SNIT's all over the southeast,out of town tournaments almost every weekend but want cough up 6 cents a day, everybody wants "something for nothing"

Go to Top of Page

bambino_dad

119 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  19:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you'd asked me two or three weeks ago, I would've said "Likely". But I didn't like the tone or content of !!!'s "cease and desist" communique to NWBA.

quote:
This material needs to be removed from your site immediately and participants must be informed not to continue this practice of illegally rebroadcasting or reprinting copyrighted material without the express written consent of !!!.

Total turn off. I'm not sure what triggered their missive, but much of what they provide is not copyright protected, original, material anyway.

Scores of games? Not protected. Schedules of games? Not protected. Names of teams or players? Not protected. Lists of team rankings? Not protected. Game summaries submitted to !!! by non-!!! personnel? Not protected. Records of games or tournament information? Not protected.

So, my subscribing is "Highley Unlikely".

Edited by - bambino_dad on 04/04/2009 09:27:09
Go to Top of Page

ronicard

117 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  21:03:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I already pay for it. Good grief, guys. It's $20! The way you guys talk, you would think it would require a monthly mortgage payment.

How do I use it? I have fun reading what they say about the national rankings, as well as what they report at the end of tournaments. Is it worth $20? To me it is. I view it as entertainment. Just my opinion though.
Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  12:44:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it copywrite infringement if the source is referenced?

If I recall correctly, Dr. Old School listed the source in the title and mentioned the website to go to for further details.

I would say it was the posts talking about sharing a login, or having people tell everyone what the site said.

Go to Top of Page

bambino_dad

119 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  19:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are limits to what can be shared...but the Fair Use Law from the U.S. Copyright Office allows for the limited reprint, sharing, or reproduction of certain types of materials and info - provided there's no "for-profit" end on the "reproducer" (NWBA Forums, for ex.), provided there are limits on the amount reproduced or quoted (you can't repro entire rankings, lists, etc.), and provided people will not choose to read the reproduced sources (NWBA Forums, for ex.) instead of suscribing to !!!.com for "exclusive" !!!.com information.

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

The website in question is an interpreter of freely available information from ballgames. It's in the information selling business. But it's the youth sports organizations that "own" the info from their games. So a "copyrighted material" objection to quotes and references from game info the youth orgs make freely available - 50% of their web content - is not clear to me. Where the youth orgs free production of info (play by play, the tournament progress, the seedings, W/L records, etc.) ends and the !!!.com copyright of that info begins is not easy for me to decipher.

But I'm also sure if this forum wanted to it could work out a limited permission agreement with them entitling the forum to freely share info - with restrictions - that promotes both the sport and the website.

Edited by - bambino_dad on 04/06/2009 09:01:33
Go to Top of Page

BBall123

395 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  20:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very unlikely
Go to Top of Page

tater77bug

133 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  08:30:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could someone loan me 20 bucks????LOL
Go to Top of Page

da97076

10 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  11:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this interesting. I know this is only one player, but maybe early rankings do mean something.
Ben Badler: Let's go back … to the Year 2000. You were featured in Baseball America that year as the top 13-year-old in the country. What did you think when you read that and how did that affect you?

Jordan Schafer
Jordan Schafer: When I was 12, I think that's like the first year they started doing it, when kids were 12, and (current Yankees prospect) Austin Jackson was in there as the No. 1 kid at 12. I told my dad when I was 13, "That's what I want to do. That's my goal this year." So I went out, and every national tournament I went to, I played awesome. I pitched well, I hit well. At that time, it was like a big deal. Now when you look at it, it really doesn't matter at all (laughs). What do you really care how good you are when you're 13? But back then it was a huge deal. It was awesome.
Go to Top of Page

tater77bug

133 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  11:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree...it's 20 bucks and I love reading up on all age groups in travel ball...sure the rankings are totally arbitray but it is a good source for travel ball....and I don't feel put down if my team or kid is not listed as I realize that it all plays out in the end...but I am in support of anything that is PRO travel ball...
quote:
Originally posted by ronicard

I already pay for it. Good grief, guys. It's $20! The way you guys talk, you would think it would require a monthly mortgage payment.

How do I use it? I have fun reading what they say about the national rankings, as well as what they report at the end of tournaments. Is it worth $20? To me it is. I view it as entertainment. Just my opinion though.

Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  08:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have polled the coaches to get recommendations of players to watch (meaning players that are expected to have some impact in that age group during the season). While some coaches may choose to not submit any players at all, not wanting to single out any of his players, others may choose to send the coaches kids names in. What you hope is something in between.

I just wish whoever covers tournaments in the Southeast did as good of a job as the person out west. We see write-ups on everything coming out of CA and AZ, but little over here. Even the write-ups for the Atlanta Super NIT were thin in most age groups. Maybe it is a staffing issue that will be resolved with the membership fees. We shall see.

To me, that is the more interesting thing about the website; being able to read the write-ups on games and tournaments in other areas of the country.
Go to Top of Page

homerunking

110 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  09:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why don't one of the guys from GEORGIA who knows ball put a staff together and work for Travel Ball Select.....LOL that way we would cover everything in the south that was worth covering....Why can't we have that one this board for the tournaments in Ga...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000