New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Punishers

688 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  14:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a former player, I can say that loud dugouts and trash talking is a part of the game. It's a mental element that those who were never competitive athletes do not understand. Trash is talked in every team sport, so don't think that baseball is not included in that category. Every wonder why they don't put mics on MLB players? Cause they say some of the most vile things you will ever hear. It's a mental element of the game to throw your competition off. There is this misconception that baseball is a clean sport when in reality it is not. It's not as much physical contact as other team sports.

Edited by - Punishers on 07/26/2016 14:56:49
Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2016 :  12:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tellit

I can't stand loud teams in the dugout. Save that energy for the field and let fans enjoy the game in peace. Good programs are sometimes obnoxious, that is just not what I want to be around all weekend. Let your play do the talking, is more my kind of people.

My son's current travel team is the loudest team he has been on. They are always cheering each other on and just having a great time. They do not insult the other team. They just keep each other motivated. I think it is great and love the energy.
Go to Top of Page

oneZone

117 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2016 :  18:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DecaturDad

quote:
Originally posted by tellit

I can't stand loud teams in the dugout. Save that energy for the field and let fans enjoy the game in peace. Good programs are sometimes obnoxious, that is just not what I want to be around all weekend. Let your play do the talking, is more my kind of people.

My son's current travel team is the loudest team he has been on. They are always cheering each other on and just having a great time. They do not insult the other team. They just keep each other motivated. I think it is great and love the energy.

What better way to show energy and support for your teammates -- hand gestures?

Don't think dude in the batter's box is gonna see your two thumbs up and that reassuring look on your face. Clapping is OK, but it blends in too easy. Plus it requires two free, ungloved hands to be effective.

On the other hand, all noise ain't good noise.

Long, softball-like chants are stupid and annoying. Short, clever expressions are OK, though, as long as they're not repeated too many times.

Negative comments directed toward opponents can get out of hand, so it's usually best to keep them subtle or humorous. Yelling, "Not even close" to a pitcher on a pickoff move is fine; yelling out, "No wonder your Dad left when you were a kid, you suck!" when he walks a kid is going too far.

Exhibiting blatant cockiness and lack of respect for your opponents is risky, too, as you might just get your butts handed to you.

Lastly, and this one's for the younger ages in particular, NO SCREAMING LIKE A GIRL.

Go to Top of Page

MAHER

31 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  00:16:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New to area (HS baseball and Jr. College All Star coach in the past) and my observations put Walton, Pope, Westminster, and Lovett as best baseball programs around. I've only been here for 4 years so my perspective may be skewed, but I'm just sharing my (somewhat educated) view. Here are this years State Champions and I had not checked this site before starting this post: http://www.ghsa.net/congratulations-2016-baseball-state-champions. Walton beat Pope in large class state championship and Westminster and Lovett both won their respective classes. Believe Westminster, Walton, and Pope had kids drafted in MLB draft as well. As a former high school coach and teacher, I can say baseball is but a very small part of the high school experience and in the scheme of life, what is learned in the classrooms far surpasses the importance of what is learned on the fields (and this coming from someone who understands what can be learned in sports). Plus, things can change between when your child is in 2nd grade or 5th grade or even 8th grade and high school. Talent pool, coaching change, job situation of area, etc can all change the dynamics of a program. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

OlRoy

2 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  17:12:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MAHER

New to area (HS baseball and Jr. College All Star coach in the past) and my observations put Walton, Pope, Westminster, and Lovett as best baseball programs around. I've only been here for 4 years so my perspective may be skewed, but I'm just sharing my (somewhat educated) view. Here are this years State Champions and I had not checked this site before starting this post: http://www.ghsa.net/congratulations-2016-baseball-state-champions. Walton beat Pope in large class state championship and Westminster and Lovett both won their respective classes. Believe Westminster, Walton, and Pope had kids drafted in MLB draft as well. As a former high school coach and teacher, I can say baseball is but a very small part of the high school experience and in the scheme of life, what is learned in the classrooms far surpasses the importance of what is learned on the fields (and this coming from someone who understands what can be learned in sports). Plus, things can change between when your child is in 2nd grade or 5th grade or even 8th grade and high school. Talent pool, coaching change, job situation of area, etc can all change the dynamics of a program. Hope this helps.

First time poster but long time follower here to second exactly your words above MAHER and say that I think you have read things right in your 4 years. Academics and athletics should have an integral relationship at the ages of players discussed on this page and that is not always emphasized as it could be...ultimately they support each other and are not exclusive of one another. And sometimes life gets in the way of baseball and not the other way around...go figure.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000