General Discussion
 Lanier League??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ballpark_Weenies

7 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2015 :  20:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can someone please explain Lanier League to me? Also, explain how a team that plays Lanier League differs from a tournament only team? I'm hearing mixed pros and cons.

Tripknows

12 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2015 :  04:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I've read this seems like a semi travel rec league. Basically like an all-star team to play other all-star teams in there area and keep standings amongst one another. Just kinda what I quickly gathered. Tournament only teams can play anywhere but seems like this league just plays themselves.http://www.leaguelineup.com/miscinfo.asp?menuid=31&url=lanierbaseball&sid=808609938 that's there website rule book where you can gather more information and interpret for yourself. Let me know what you think I'm inserted to hear
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2015 :  08:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes there are HUGE differences, and other times there aren't as big of differences-- that is about the team or talent of the team. From the few (3-4 dozen friends I've talked to who's kids play/played Lanier League), the general statement is, it give the boys a lightly more competitive ball experience (basically all-stars without the rec season), with the travel experience (having home and home vs. teams), but not at the 'full blown' level of weekend/tourney teams. Some weekend/tourney teams also play in LL and treat league games as 'scrimmages' or 'live practices' to prepare or work on things in-between their tourneys.

How LL works, is simply that you are in a league/division based on your geographical area and play a season schedule of 10-12 games (based on number of teams in your division/area), which are home and home-- so you play each opponent twice, that is concluded with a season ending tournament. The tournament is broken into two categories, AA or AAA, which is based on your season W/L record.

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Critical Mass

277 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2015 :  18:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great tarter league for teams to get batter and have guarateed games that are close in proximity and create some rivalries. I think NW GA had a league at one point?
Go to Top of Page

AUBB

73 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2015 :  23:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Lanier League website was previously open, where you could see the teams,rankings,schedule, scores, etc. It seemed to change about 2 years ago, and the only pertinent information you can see is the Discussion board. There is a login screen now. Not sure why they can't share it any more, since there are anywhere from 8-20 teams in the age groups 7-13U and we all like to see how our "neighborhood/park" teams are doing.

I would say that some LL teams could play full time travel in a AA or even the AAA world, but some of the teams went 2-16, or 0-18 as 11/12U.
I like the term poised by Critical Mass, a starter league- that still has ties to the specific park, but for boys in the All-star/AA/lower AAA world that don't want to spend the $1-2k for travel, and don't want to spend every weekend playing baseball for 4-10 hours/day. These boys are potentially getting a 10-12 game Rec season + 20 games or so. The 30 games may be enough for kids who have other interests in school, hobbies, lake boats, etc.

Our family looked at 1-2 LL teams last year for my son, since we thought his level of play might match up well with the level/competition of the LL. We opted not to, since a large % of the games by certain teams were played from 6-9pm during the week. With a 12-game Middle School schedule that ONLY plays during the week from Feb 25th through April 15th with game times @ 4:30-6:30 and him riding the bus to away games, there wasn't a way for him to play for his school and play in a majority of the LL games and we thought he would not meet his commitment to the LL team.

What age will your son be playing this upcoming Fall/Spring?

Ryan
Go to Top of Page

HeyBlue

92 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  10:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ballpark_Weenies

I'm sorry, long day but I am going to look over the info Tripknows. I will respond back. Appreciate the comments so far. Sounding a little like I had thought. I am curious on the level of play and talent.

There is a wide variety. Some are great, some are good, and some are awful. I have had close games and I have had another worthy of a football score.
Go to Top of Page

HeyBlue

92 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  10:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AUBB

The Lanier League website was previously open, where you could see the teams,rankings,schedule, scores, etc. It seemed to change about 2 years ago, and the only pertinent information you can see is the Discussion board. There is a login screen now. Not sure why they can't share it any more, since there are anywhere from 8-20 teams in the age groups 7-13U and we all like to see how our "neighborhood/park" teams are doing.

Ryan

During the season, more information is shown on the website. I was able to see scores, records and such and I do not have a login. I have called a handfull of games in LL over the past few years and needed to get some information to prepare for the games.
Go to Top of Page

silvercityjon

56 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  18:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
During the season all scores are posted and standings are posted. We tell teams all the time the LBL is for some and not for others. We tell them you will play some teams better then you, weaker then you and some on the same level. We think it is a great source for teams to prepare for tournaments and most use it just for that. We also allow coaches to give blackout days/dates that they do not want to play. For the $550.00 registration fee in the Spring you get what we hear from most as the best tournament they play in all year. Also not sure where the 8 to 20 teams for ages 7 to 13 came from....Here is the facts. We average spring and fall about 100+ teams and we at this time only offer ages 9 to 14. Our contact info is listed on the web site if you have any questions...hope this helps clear the air.

Jon Howard - Lanier Baseball League

Edited by - silvercityjon on 07/16/2015 19:53:46
Go to Top of Page

Ballpark_Weenies

7 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  22:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for taking the time to post Jon as well as everyone else. I am now clearer on how the Lanier League game schedule works. What I really couldn't grasp was whether a player already playing on a tournament team would find a move to a LL team as a lateral move or would it be considered less competitive. Even if they play both LL and Tournaments. It seems there are several components that could go into that formula but it sounds to me like LL is preparation for tournaments and if your player is already playing at that level, it then comes down to the team providing the best environment for your player to develop at the appropriate pace. Tell me if I am misunderstood anything here. I wouldn't want to shoot down a team offer just because it plays LL without really understanding it.
Go to Top of Page

turntwo

955 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2015 :  10:01:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ballpark_Weenies

... it then comes down to the team providing the best environment for your player to develop at the appropriate pace.

In reality, that's ANY team... LL or tourney only. Again, I know some LL teams that play a near full tournament schedule (at the AAA/Major level), along with the LL season. Where as other teams, strictly play the LL schedule and season any tourney. Best thing to do, is ask these questions to the team/coach.

-What's your projected schedule? As in, will you compete in tournaments outside of the LL schedule? What level do you realistically see your team competing at (A/AA/AAA/Major)?

Go to Top of Page

silvercityjon

56 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2015 :  11:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
turntwo nailed it....I could not have said it better....YOUR HIRED lol
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000