Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

3sondad

220 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  08:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is USSSA rules:
quote:

8.02.F The official bat:
8.02.F.1 Shall be round in cross section for its entire length, straight from end to end for its entire length and smooth surfaced in the hitting area;
8.02.F.2 The maximum diameter shall not exceed two and three fourths (2 3/4) inches;
8.02.F.3 The maximum length shall not exceed thirty-six (36) inches;
8.02.F.4 Any material to improve the grip may be used for a distance not to exceed eighteen (18) inches from the handle end. Any such material or substance, which extends past the eighteen (18) inch limitation, shall cause the bat to be removed from the game.
Rule 8.02.F.4 Comment: If the umpire discovers that the bat does not conform to Rule 8.02.F.4 until a time during or after which the bat has been used in play, it shall not be grounds for declaring the batter out, or ejection from the game.
8.02.F.5 The bat shall be constructed of wood, aluminum, or any other material or combination of materials unless such materials or combinations of materials are specifically disapproved by USSSA. Such disapproval shall be the sole discretion of USSSA and may be made without notice;
8.02.F.5(a) All bats for age division 4U – 14U that exceed the 1.15 BPF (Bat Performance Factor) as defined for baseball bats by ASTM Standards, may be disapproved by USSSA. Such disapproval shall be the sole discretion of USSSA and may be made without notice;
8.02.F.5(b) All bats for scholastic divisions 15U – 18U must conform to the NFHS (National Federation of High School Association) bat limitations including a length to weight ratio no greater than negative three (-3) ounces.

My questions:
On 8.02.F.1 - I can think of two bats off the top of my head that do not meet fit the discriptions used in the first sentence. Are they banned on a list somewhere or is it up to the umpire's discretion? Or are they approved because they are BESR Certified and are quoted to be HS & College Approved?
The new Reebok Vector O with the holes in the transition zone. http://homerunmonkey.com/reebok-vector-o-baseball-bat.html The Mattingly bats with the v-grip.

On 8.02.F.5(a) Is this rule to keep someone from using a softball bat? Because I have never seen a BPF printed on a baseball bat. Are ALL baseball bats manufactured under 1.15 BPF? If so, why doesn't the bat have a label to state it meets BPF requirements? (NOT TALKING ABOUT HIGH SCHOOL OR LITTLE LEAGUE BATS, BUT Senior League bats sized -10,-9,-8,-7, and -5)

pcc

28 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  23:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I bought the Vector O would my son be able to play with it? Or if I see someone using it...is it illegal?
Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  09:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the rules are only enforced for the barrel length, not the handle, which is where the bats, listed above, differ. The new Demarini Vendetta is also a non-round handle ("The "Rails" 2-piece handle is designed for ultimate bat speed and to reduce vibration.)
Go to Top of Page

beanball

222 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  16:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lomax,
The rule states "...the entire length...” then goes on to state specifics about "... the hitting area..." I would take that to mean any bat with a non-round surface anywhere to be illegal. I can't wait to see the fireworks the first time this rule is challenged.
Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  22:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
beanball,
I agree to what the rule states, but was commenting on what was being "Enforced".

I, too, will be interested to see how it gets handled the first time the rule is challenged with one of these bats.

It could end up in a lawsuit against the bat manufacturer for selling a bat that does not meeting the rules, without specifying it on the bat. It is not like a precedent has not already been set because there are a ton of softball bats that specifically list, on the bat, which sanctioning bodies it is approved for.
Go to Top of Page

dblinkh1

39 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  13:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since we are talking about these unusual bats, has anyone tried one out? I have played around with adding a ridge, similar to the Mattingly, to a practice bat. My son didn't like the feel of it. Also I was wondering if you can't rotate the Mattingly how does the bat hold up since you would always be hitting the same spot.
Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  20:26:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the players on our team has the new Reebok bat. The holes in the handle are different. It has a good feel, but you have to make sure the holes are lined up with the swing path, which means you only have two sides you can hit it on.
Go to Top of Page

Reggie

70 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2009 :  16:08:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw this on the NFHS 2010 Baseball Rules Changes-
2010 Baseball Rules Changes Include Bat Standards Adjustment

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

INDIANAPOLIS, IN (July 6, 2009) — The clarification of baseball bat specifications was among four rules adjusted by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Baseball Rules Committee at its annual meeting June 7-9 in Indianapolis. The rules changes subsequently were approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

A change to Rule 1-3-2 regarding bat specifications was made in the hope it will clarify bat compliance. The rule, which will be effective January 1, 2012, specifies that the bat should be a “smooth cylinder implement from the top of the cap to the top of the knob.”

“The committee was looking to clarify the rule and make the purchase of bats an easier process,” said Elliot Hopkins, NFHS director of educational services and liaison to the Baseball Rules Committee. “We want to make sure that kids and parents know what is permissible.”

The change will also require that all non-wood bats meet the Batted Ball Coefficient of Restitution (BBCOR) performance standard, which is the standard used by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). Formerly, non-wood bats had to meet the Ball Exit Speed Ratio (BESR) standard.

The new rule also states that non-wood bats must be labeled with a rectangular certification mark “a minimum of a half-inch on each side and located on the barrel of the bat in any contrasting color.” The new standard ensures that performances by non-wood bats are more comparable to those of wood bats. It’s also expected to minimize risk, improve play and increase teaching opportunities.

“After working with the NCAA and having access to its research, we’ve concluded it’s in our best interest to make this change,” Hopkins said. “BBCOR includes the BESR standard, so we’re actually expanding upon our current standard, which will be more appropriate for our age and skill level.”

“smooth cylinder "
wonder if this mean two piece bats will be outlawed in 2012, composites will be legal for 2 more years in high school but not afte that.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000