General Discussion
 Flat Bat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

biged

198 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  12:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw a flat bat being used for hitting instruction. I' m trying to order it online. I want to make sure it is the right one. The one I'm looking for resembles a paddle with holes on the broad side. The batter is supposed to hit the ball with the narrow side. This forces the batter to have a downward motion.

1. Opinions on the flat bat
2. Other training aids/techniques for teaching hitting
3. What is the official name and where do I purchase the flat bat?

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  15:52:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw the post and immediately thought you owned a PLASMA Gold :) Ouch - had several go flat on us .... Good luck in your search, I think you are referring to Brett Bros Flat Bat ...try hittingworld.com or slambats.com - should have it!
Go to Top of Page

FearAD

59 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  08:03:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. I think the flat bat is gimmicky. Just not sold on it.

2. A couple of years ago, a good friend let me borrow his "Personal Pitcher". It's a little machine that pitches golf ball sized whiffle balls at various speeds. It helps develop hand quickness and hand/eye coordination. Both of our sons are good contact hitters and rarely strikeout.

BEABETTERHITTER.com does a pretty good job of explaining the hitting process and has a lot of good drills.

Good question, good forward to seeing the post.
Go to Top of Page

SportsDad

293 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  09:40:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a gimmick...don't know why you'd want a downward motion to a swing?
Personal Pitcher..that throws wiffle golf balls...I bought one 5 years ago...the problem I have with it (although I do think it has some benefit) is the ball would come out of the machine at X speed but would slow down so much as it got to the hitting zone..first ten feet it would look like a fastball...and than slow way down...Thought at first well OK it's like a change-up, but the kids I had use it said it was different visually...I think the idea of hitting wiffle golf balls is good..think soft toss with them does just as good of a job..to bad you can't find bottle caps and broomstick

Still think and old fashion tee and a hitting net (or any variation of it) is probably the best teaching aid.

A Good Hitting coach...is pretty tough to beat to...
Go to Top of Page

Gold Glove

129 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  09:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SportsDad

Sounds like a gimmick...don't know why you'd want a downward motion to a swing?

Please tell me you aren't teaching your players to swing on an upward plane. The bat coming from the loaded position is always on a downward plane (unless the player is swinging at a pitch above his shoulders) until getting to the hitting zone.

Imagine landing an airplane.
Go to Top of Page

SportsDad

293 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  18:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely I teach to swing on an upward plane or to be more specific to have the swing plane angle match the angle of the ball...since the ball is decending the batsswing plane should be ascending at the same angle through the hitting zone. Seeing as in baseball the pitch ball is decending, a swing mimicks that duplicates it provide for the largest area of hitting through the zone... Now although hitting a decending object with a decending blow although certainly not impossible it decreases the time/distance the bat is actually in the hitting zone..The arguement of hitting the ball with a downward stroke produces more backspin and therefore the ball travel further..is of little total benifit at all..Now I'm not recommending a severe uppercut or a swing whos angle is different than the trajectory of the ball, just like I'm sure those who preach hitting down on the ball aren't suggesting a verital swing plane, which in theory would produce maximum backspin,but minimun distance..Take a look at some high speed film of 99% of all major league swings and you'll see that the bat while traveling through the hitting zone is actually acending not decending...Of course the bat has to decend to get to the hitting zone, but please tell me you're not teaching a player to have the bat decend through the hitting zone.
Go to Top of Page

dblinkh1

39 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  09:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a variety of drills, techniques and yes gimmicks when working with my son. I am not familiar with the "flat bat" but is it intended to correct or reinforce something in your child's swing? When I decide on hitting drills, etc. for my son I do so with the intent of reinforcing or correcting something in his swing. If the flat bat does that then buy it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000