General Discussion
 Question for Pronate
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

charlieh

25 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  11:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was looking at these pitchers that use the Mike Marshall pitching program and was wondering how fast these guys throw a fastball?
Also do they have a way to hold a runner on? Thanks,

http://www.drmikemarshall.com/VideoAnalysisofDrMarshalls2007BaseballPitchers.html

Pronate

156 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  00:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charlie:

I'm not sure how fast they threw in the actual video you see. Dr Marshall goes to great lengths to describe what he is looking for in the videos. None of them throw exactly as he'd like but they made pretty good strides this year. He is not looking for velocity. These kids are in training regression when the film is taken.

To specifically answer your question:

1. Jeff Sparks has thrown 95MPH. You can see him throwing 92MPH on the final segment on Dr Marshal's video which is free for all to view. He threw 82 MPH when he met Dr Marshall.

2. Joe Williams coms out of the Mets org and was pretty new to Marshall at the time of the video, He has thrown 91, I believe. He has an unbelieveable Maxline Pronation Curve in my opinion. He is pitching with a torn labrum in the video. He throws as hard as he can every day with this torn labrum.

3. Sam Buchanan threw in the mid 70's when he started working with Dr Marshall. I think he is in the mid 80's now, He just received a scholarship to pitch on a D2 team that may have won the D2 championship this year. The school is in OK. I think I saw his mother say on the internet the team won the D2 championship but don't quote me on it,

4 Charlie plays on a club team at App State. He is a work out fiend. Dr Marshall loves the kid. I think he started at around 70 MPH and is at about 80 MPH now.

5. I talked to Mike Farrenkopf Sunday night. Dr Marshall says he has made great strides this year. He says Mike has come the closest to how he wants his guys to pitch. You will have to wait until Dr Marshall posts his 2008 high speed film to ssee where he is now. I believe Mike has found the answer to getting the pitching arm side hip ahead of the glove side foot before he releases the ball. This is a critical piece of Dr Marshall's motion that these guys have not been able to do. Mike told me he thinks he's throwing 84-85 MPH now. Dr Marshall told him he will pitch over 90 MPH once he comes out of regression and gets some competitive pitching under his belt. Personally, I think he'll hit 88 MPH. Believe me if this guy even hits 88 MPH it will be case closed as far as the benefit of Dr Marshall's pitching motion. I've watched him since he started. His college's pitching coach, John Maley, is a former assistant coach of Dr Marshall so we shall see what we shall see. They have a parent building the rebound walls, I'm sending them the javelins, Mike has his 30 lb wrist weights and 15 pound iron balls so this will be a great test.

6. I really can't give accounting of the speed of the other guys. I thought Alfredo could easily throw over 90 MPH when I watched him in person but I have no idea where he is these days. Jason is getting highly skilled but I don't know how fast he can pitch.

You guys have no idea what you missed not taking advantage of the opportunity to watch Dr Marshall work with these kids.

e

Go to Top of Page

charlieh

25 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  11:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks,

So are they use the normal type javelin or something else.
Go to Top of Page

Pronate

156 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  16:41:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plastic 4' javelins although we'd like longer ones if anyone knows where to get them. If anyone recalls the days when Mark Prior was pronounced to be the pitcher with "perfect" mechanics it was his terrible flaring or grabbing that did him in. Mr Prior had terrible flaring which lead to his terrible flyout which lead him to nowhere. This is a problem for traditional as well as Dr Marshall's pitchers.

The javs are used to prevent the flaring.

e
Go to Top of Page

Pronate

156 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  01:34:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Charlie:

Here is some video of the javelin throws.

Many many local pitchers have a grab to their driveline where they bend their elbow such that the ball goes behind and close to their heads as they drive the upper arm toward home plate. The ball then transcribes a circle on its way to home plate. The javelns help train the forearm to stay the full length behind when driving the forearm forward.

Tom House refers to this grabbibg action as "double spin" Evidently the Japanese taught him this. Mr House thinks this is a good thing. It is not.

If pitchers start feeling tingling in their arms, then there is a very good chance they are "grabbing". Irritating the Ulna nerve is not something we want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw7C0ZFEYeY

e
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000