General Discussion
 Chill or Drill?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jrog76

80 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  09:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it was up to me, we'd play 364 days a year, but is that best for kids who are still growing?

Does taking the six months off help young arms or just get them rusty?

Thanks!

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  12:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a ton of factors that go into that decision, and I believe that the right answer may be different for each kid. Especially at the younger ages.

Are we talking about pitching or playing? The rust comes a lot more with batting, where timing is more of an issue, than with pitching, throwing, and fielding.

I fall in the camp, at least for the younger ages 12U and below, that they need to find other sports to participate in and give their arms a break. There is a lot of growing, especially in that 10-12 age range, going on where growth plate issues can arise.

If you are talking about a position player rather than a pitcher, having them play in the fall to get more at bats or to play a position different than the one they currently play can be beneficial.

It also depends on whether the player REALLY wants to play both seasons. If a kid is eat up with playing, making them sit out may be miserable for them. If so, you have to look at what is best suited for them.

I know this sounds wishy washy, but it's not a cut and dry answer like 3+3=6.
Go to Top of Page

3sondad

220 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  16:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My oldest son chose to only play baseball from the time he turned 7. When he went into Middle School (a private school) he ended up participating in baseball and 4 other sports for the School's teams. So now I am encouraging my other sons to play as many different sports as possible!!! From what I have seen the baseball skills stay as long as their internal drive for the game is there. For example, (not my son) one of the best 14 year old baseball players I have ever seen, does not play for a travel team. He is only playing on the schools spring team ... just an amazing athlete at everything I have seen him play ...

Good luck ...

Edited by - 3sondad on 06/09/2008 21:16:41
Go to Top of Page

ingasven

120 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  16:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just my opinion....

Greg touched on the playing other sports angle and I am a big proponent that the younger kids definitely need to be well rounded. Many of the basic principles of rote skills transcend from sport to sport. Ask a first year football player to get in a proper linebacker stance and he'll look at you funny.... if he's played baseball just tell him.... pretend you're at the plate batting.... now pretend you're trying to make your strike zone smaller and put your hands in front of you...every single one of them will end up in a near perfect LB stance. There are so many more examples like this. The skills they learn in basketball can help in football & football baseball, etc, etc.

Also, I believe that taking time off from one sport makes them want it that much more when the next season starts to near.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000