General Discussion
 gloves
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cop311

44 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  03:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How often should you need to replace one generally speaking. The glove in question is an Akadema model AOZ91 and it has been through Spring and Fall season since 2005. Its not torn or ripped but the leather seems "tired". Or is that just really broken in? I have searched the internet but can't find anything.

SportsDad

293 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  09:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4 years with the same glove...that's a heck of a good glove...have no idea what you mean by "tired" leather, that's a new one on me...I bet your son loves his glove,and as long as he loves, it I'd put it in the catagory of being "just really broken in."
Go to Top of Page

jay

177 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  10:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I can't stand 'flimsy' gloves. I've seen dads show up with gloves that had the flexibility of Cotton! My opinion the feel of the glove is king. If they get TOO flexible I start looking to replace. I know I've heard the "Old School" stories; I remain unconvinced. A glove has to be flexible enough that it's easy to open and close. If the fingers fall back too easily it's a throw away.

Infield gloves typically last about 3 years. Those big ol' outfielders gloves ....not so long. Seems like the longer they are the more apt they are to bend back and I don't want a hard liner turning my glove back and exiting out the opposite way. The better gloves will last up to 5 years (I say that with reservations); my opinion mind you. After the second year I buy another glove and start breaking it in. I've given my best glove to my son after using it for a year to break it in; restrung part of it for his hand and he's had it for 2 years now. I think it's got another year in it at least.

About those reservations, I bought a very high end glove and so far I'm not completely convinced it's going to outlast my HOH. Especially since I don't use it as much as my son uses his.

Edited by - jay on 06/06/2008 13:16:05
Go to Top of Page

BREAMKING

323 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  10:44:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never understood why people spend zillions of dollars on a bat and buy crappy gloves. To me the glove is a better investment.
Go to Top of Page

cop311

44 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  12:39:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the opinions. jay hit it right on the head about what I meant by tired leather. Very flexible.
Go to Top of Page

RoswellKnights

21 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  15:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Totally agree with BREAMKING. I've seen parents readily drop $200 or more each year for "the newest bat" while still allowing their son to use some $50 glove purchased when they were 9 or 10. If the glove flops back and forth -- get rid of it. If its dried and cracking, its time for a new glove. And buy a quality glove for the long haul -- Mizuno Classic or better, HOH, A2000, Nakona, Rawlings Pro Preferred (or Rawlings Primo if $ is no object), Zett, Kazuma, etc. Bats come and go, but a quality glove is the best investment you can make for your son.

Edited by - RoswellKnights on 06/06/2008 08:23:27
Go to Top of Page

FearAD

59 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  09:30:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Invest in a bottle of Lexol from Pep Boys. It's a leather conditioner. Use it on your gloves religiously. When storing the glove, use a rubber band and a ball to keep the shape. Check out the Shoeless Joe line of gloves, too.
Go to Top of Page

jay

177 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  13:22:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recently found a website that explained a few things (for me anyway). Unfortunately now I can't find the site again. Nevertheless, the writer mentioned that they use the heaviest leather for catcher's mitts, less heavy for infielder's mitts and the lightest for outfielders. Don't interpret this to mean that outfielders gloves need to be the lightest. He was only referring to the ability to work the leather or some other scientific broohaha. In any event, that explains why outfielders gloves get soft so fast and why it takes forever to properly break in a good SS's glove.
Go to Top of Page

travelmom

12 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  21:33:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have gotten my son a new glove every year. After Christmas is a good time to get them. This year he was given two. This new model is a 6 finger Shoeless Joe. Its leather is conditioned really good. You can get it at Kesslers for around 135. He has enjoyed it alot. He is 12 plays outfield with it. Has a another infielder glove as well.
Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  22:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My money is with the A2000's. Over the last year I have gotten my son a pitchers glove, a first baseman's mitt and an outfielders glove and even though they are quite an investment, they are much better quality gloves and will last a lot longer. That first baseman's mitt is exceptional. It has two different sets of finger placements depending on whether you have a small hand or big one.

They require longer break-in periods so if you are looking at one, get one in the fall and start throwing with it so it is ready for the spring.

I would imagine all the high end gloves, from Mizuno, Louisville Slugger and the others would be the same way.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000